I have a small oil leak on my 22RE. I say small because between the last oil change interval 2,500 miles it lost about 1/4 of a qt of oil. I couldn't pinpoint where it coming from.

I had my mechanic look at it and they found a leak in the timing chain cover at the head. They said I need a new headgasket. Well I guess it could be worse. Question, the engine has 87,000 miles on it, should I have the timing chain replaced as well?

Anything else that should be checked while having the head pulled?

make shure it is not just those prone to leak half round rubber cam plugs and the valve cover gasket

Will do! I want to be sure before going into this type of repair. The leak is small. Yotech and other forums that report similar issues like this took RTV on the outside area instead of pulling the head. Note: I've been running with this leak now for at least a year. That's when I bought it and I sure didn't play around with the timing cover.

I'll 2nd that advice. Install new ones and adjust the valves at the same time. If the timing chain isn't making noise, I'd leave it alone.

Funny you say that. I told the them while they are doing the headgasket to check the valve gap and adjust. They said that was mandatory when pulling the head.

Is it leaking right in the front near the front cover? could be front main seal or oil pump

Linda S

Have a receipt from 2011 Toyota dealership found "crank seal puking", replace front crank seal and oil pump O-ring.

I do see new oil in the top front cover right behind the fan pulley. I'll take another look tomorrow morning to be sure.

Take a look at repair book, there is a "hidden" bolt that bolts the head to the front of the block. I think its under the distributor drive gear.