Terrible screeching noise when plugged into shore power

Ron 'n Sue

We believe the screeching is coming from the propane sniffer, but there is no smell of propane. The propane is turned off. When the power is unplugged from the house, the screeching stops. While still plugged in and screeching, if one steps in front of the sniffer, the screeching stops.

Anybody have any ideas?

my son and a friend told me there R V S do sound off the gas alarm if the rv battery is really low sorry i dont know anything else

Is the propane sniffer one of the models that plugs into a wall outlet? if so, it may be warning you that you have a dead battery in the sniffer.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

New sniffer one month ago.

Strangely, the sun was shining through the back window through the magnifying film, straight onto the sniffer, which is located at the bottom end of the couch, right next to the galley. If the rays were blocked, the screeching stopped. Now what's that about?

then shield the sensor with metal to block the suns rays,yet leave air space for the detector to work...I remember where one propane detector was tripped by the fumes from certain chemicals in household cleaners...get the manual from the manufaturer

Good to hear that you've figured out what's causing your problem. Though I've no doubt that chemicals could set it off, it sounds (from your description) that the screeching stops as soon as you block the sun. I doubt that the sudden shade would stop any chemical outgassing as if a tap was being shut.

The good news is that your detector is newly installed. I'd start by contacting the manufacturer for their input. Perhaps your unit is defective.

You cant just move a propane detector to anywhere...propane is heavier than air ...it will accumulate at the lowest point ,thats why they are mounted low in the rv...to provide the earliest warning..if the sensor is photo sensative ...check it at nite....if it stops the alarm...then you know light is tripping it......check with the manufacturer.........if at a later date you think the alarm is Ok ....you can check for proper operation by using an unlit propane torch and give the sensor a little whiff of propane

to Linda

This remark is like the one where the computer tech asks the woman customer if her computer is plugged in.

Well I don't know what make or brand propane alarm you have but mine can be turned off. I replaced it just a few years ago so many have this capability.

Linda S

older models where tested by using butane lighters (unlit) to test. newer units say NOT to do that - but they have a test button onboard. mine is wired thru a fuse (so I can pull it when in storage to keep the battery from running down).