instead of swapping your engine maybe if you can determine why yours is getting subpar mileage....

my guess is an O2 sensor

could be a number of things

you should be getting 14-15 mpg (unless you are trying to drive it like a sports car0

Please let me know if it is possible and a good idea for mpg to swap a toyota 6cyl 3v-ze out of my RV to a toyota diesel 1kz. I get around 12mpg! :-(

I don't know if your fuel mileage is due to your driving conditions or something wrong with the vehicle. I've heard from several people who live in hilly areas that get 12-13 MPG with 21 foot Toyota RVS - regardless of a straight 4 or a V6.

In regard to checking for problems - I'd check the tailpipe emissions. Easy check is to stick your finger in the tailpipe and see if it comes out sooty. Or pull a spark plug and see how clean (or dirty it is). If it's running right - all should be clean. If soot is found - you've got fuel-control issues.

Also check for excess rolling drag. Jack each wheel off the ground and check to see all is spinning free. Dragging brakes, stuck calipers, etc. can cause a drop in fuel mileage.

Putting a computer controlled diesel into your RV would be a big project and very expensive unless you've got a complete donor vehicle to rob parts from. Power would be about the same as your V6 gasser and you might get a 20% increase in fuel mileage. You have to ask yourself if the expense is worth it. In some parts of the US (like here in NY) diesel fuel is often 50 cents more per gallon then regular gas and that price disparity takes away a lot of the diesel advantage.

The most popular gas engine "upgrade" I know to replace the Toyota 3VZE is the 3.4 liter 5VZ-4E that came out in 1995. It fits the original engine and trans mounts as the 3VZE. Has more horsepower, torque, and is more efficient.

All I could ever do with a 4 cyl was around 13-14 hills and speed are a big factor. No matter what you decide to swap it ain't going to be cheap, if you got the diesel for nothing or next to it I would do that in a heart beat that is just what the Toy needs is lots of low end. I have a 4L 6 spd 4X4Tacoma it only gets 20MPG and if I tow it drops to 10-12 you got a lot of weight and a great deal of wind resistance so about any gas engine you put in it would not make much if any difference may have a little more pep but that would be about it.