Black Tank Advice

Mild horror story. Im currently on a 600 mile road trip to the Ozark mountains. The smell coming from the bathroom is leading me to believe that the rig we purchased 6 months ago has an unemptied black tank. We never planned on using the toilet (we figured there are plenty of options that don't result in emptying a tank) and haven't during our ownership. I guess it was native to assume they were empty and clean this whole time. Anyway, i want to get this thing cleaned out the best i can. I've looked up and can handle the standard process of emptying, just looking for some advice/tips on this one. Thanks guys.

use gloves

if you can go buy a toilet wand to clean black tank (will need a hose inside bathroom)

dump tank then use wand to clean tank walls

and dump tank again

you should be good after that

I also treat tank with liquid detergent & liquid water softener helps

keep black tank walls clean..

some people use a clear black tank outlet to see if clear water is running out of tank..

Be sure and check the vent stack, ( black pipe runnning from top of tank out through the roof). When remodeling mine discovered vent was not sealed to the top of the tank, which would let oders in RV.

when i bought my dolphon the guy said all where empty and showed me on the tank monoter it showed empty.but i found out the tank sensers were bad only one that works is the fresh water tank and the waste tanks were not empty.not to gross you out but i just check my black tank by shining a flashlight down the tolit when i see it getting full it is full. my first unit a 1978 had no sensers at all checked the fresh water by flashlight also.

Clean it as best you can (i bring the garden hose in the camper when I empty mine) use lot of water dump it several times go to 7-11 or your local store buy several bags of ice dump them down the open toilet valve add a few gallons of water go for a ride on a nice windy road let the ice melt and drain it again. Do not use any mix of stuff like pine oil or any thing that people have said they have put together it will make things worse and probably wreck the seals. There are brand name things but don't use any thing that has formaldehyde in it chlorine is not a good ideal either.

if a previous owner used the toilet & left the dump valve open, the fluids will run out leaving the solids which eventually will make a real mess. the repeated _add a few gallons, drive around & dump" will eventually break it out.

You can disconnect the plumbing between the black dump & dump valve & see what is going on. There are wand attachments that can be used to really wash it down.

I have heard of the ice trick mentioned - never tried it though.

I never ever put TP in my toilet & we do use it. My sweetie will not go in another bathroom when she knows her's is clean LOL

I DONT BLAME HER WEput tp in ours BUT WE USE ONLY RV T P it is made to break down faster and better we boondock at least once a month all summer

My sensor quit working on the black tank. Crawled underneath and found that the wire had broken off at the sensor contact. The position of the wire is exposed to rocks or anything else that gets flung at it by the tires.

I confess that I do use Scott single ply bath tissue as I'm "economizing" (vice cheap) and originally did so on the advice of some more senior campers.

I usually try to find campgrounds with sewage connections. Prior to departure, I jam a slipper between the toilet handle and the return point. Flush the toilet a few times after emptying the black tank. Empty the grey tank. Close grey tank. Flush a couple more times. By this time most of the hose has been flushed as well with fresh water and is ready for disconnection.

At the end of a trip, at the cleanout station, I've been considering running a hose from the sink to the toilet and draining all the fresh water out thru the toilet, holding the toilet open of course and leaving the black water drain valve open.....anybody see a problem with this? It certainly makes sense if you're trying to clean out your tank, which alot of people seem to want to do.

At the end of a trip, at the cleanout station, I've been considering running a hose from the sink to the toilet and draining all the fresh water out thru the toilet, holding the toilet open of course and leaving the black water drain valve open.....anybody see a problem with this? It certainly makes sense if you're trying to clean out your tank, which alot of people seem to want to do.

No I see no problem but it maybe better to fill the toilet then open the toilet valve. Many of the toilets that have a lever on the side actually have two levers there is a smaller one inside of the lever that opens the drain valve. This will allow you to fill the toilet first then open the valve to dump might be easier for you then a hose.

When I bought my Escaper, I was told that the tanks were all cleaned out. I dumped 20 pounds of ice into the black tank and drove around as mentioned above. When I dumped the tank at a local state park, I found that the tanks were not even a little bit clean. I got a lot of human waste and hardened toilet paper out of the tank.

My wife and I do not plan on using the toilet unless necessary but I will continue to use ice to clean the tank out if it gets used.

ON MY 87 DOLPHON THE BATHROOM SINK DRAINS INTO THE TOLIT TANK THE KITCHEN SINK GOES IN THE OTHER TANK THE GREAY TANK I OFTEN RUN OUT MY WATER WITH THE BATHROOM SINK BEFORE I DUMP.I REFILL MY WASTE TANK AT LEAST TWICE FULL AND DUMP TWICE MORE TOTAL AT LEAST THREE TIMES. WHEN AT THE KOA I DUMP AND REFI WITH THE TOLIT AND BATHROOM SINK .