Two electrical outlets not working

Puffp

So I get up this morning and two of my outlets in the kitchen no longer work. I think the last time I used one of them was yesterday morning. So now I am down to one in the "living room" .

The only thing I can think that happened is that I turned the fridge to elec and it caused the circuit breaker to activate. The previous owner mentioned that the fridge did this when running on electric. Anyway not sure if that has anything to do with it. I would add the lights in the kitchen work as well.

Appreciate any help about the outlets and even the fridge issues. I am paranoid that my other outlet will go and then I'm screwed. Currently living in my rig as I work.

Best,

Patrick

Your electrical outlets are 110 and you need to be on shore power. If you were plugged in possible surge popped your curcuit breaker. Did you check it. Could be a short to your fridge if you turned that to 110 too. Your lights are all 12 volt so they wouldn't be affected. If the fridge is the problem leave it on propane until you get it figured out. uses very little.

Linda S

I am plugged into shore. I did check the circuit breaker and it was fine. Other than it tripped last night. But this morning no problem.

Well I had a heater running in the middle of the night, but from a different outlet, which still works. Last night I had nothing running off those outlets. Normally I used one of them for a rice cooker, but rarely used simultaneously. The other outlet I wasn't even using but I plugged something in to see if it works and it doesn't. That's what I don't get, I wake up this morning and two don't work.

What model and year is your Toyhouse?

On my Dolphin, I had two breakers, one for the outlets, one for the AirConditioner. All the outlets are on a single breaker. The frig is plugged into an outlet in the outside frig compartment. The blue breaker is the Outlets (15 amp), the red breaker is for the AirConditioner (20amp) (I don't have an A/C unit, but the toyhouse is wired for it)

post-4544-0-21683200-1368038093_thumb.jp

If yours is similar, you should loose all the outlets if the breaker pops.

Your breaker should be around 15 amps. If you run an elect heater on high you may be at the limit. Some elec heaters have a HI and a LO. HI is around 1500 watts, or about 12 amps, LO is around 900 watts, or about 8 amps.

Your frig (if its a two way Propane/elec) should draw about 1 amp when on 110 volts.

IMPORTANT - When I upgraded my converter, the wirenut (splice) that connects all the 110 volt outlets together was loose and the wires could be pulled out. If your converter is like mine, you may want to check this. If you look carefully at the photo, you'll see a black wire coming out of the blue circuit breaker and it goes into a red colored wirenut, give all the wires a little tug and see if they pull out of the wirenut.

ALSO - Look at your bathroom outlet and see if its a "Ground Fault". They may have wire GFIs in a daisy-chain mode. some outlets get their power via the GFI outlet. If the GFI trips, it will kill all the outlets that are daisy chained off the GFI outlet.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

John,

I have an 87 odyssey. Last night when the breaker was triggered it was the circuit breaker beneath my couch. So I guess I need to remove this and take a look.

Now the charge sentinel is off, doesn't blink like before and when I hear a humming noise when the 15amp breaker is on, goes off when I flip it too off. Now I am paranoid!!!!!

Not sure what's going on. I don't think I have been over using the outlets but who knows.

As John said check the gfi in the bath usually it's for the bath and an outside outlet but who knows. The outlets are all on the same breaker there should be either 2 or 3 one of the 3 will be a main at 30 amps the other two will be 20 amp (A/C) and a 15 for the outlets.including the fridge outlet and the gfi. Is the converter a replacement? regardless iit's still powered by the same 15 amp breaker but if it's a new type the only noise would be the fan the old ones did hum while working. In cold weather it's not had to over load a 15 amp circuit if you use a electric heater you only have 1800 watts to play with. Microwave and a heater and it's all over add a converter/charger lights etc. The only thing that would worry me would be dead outlets with no tripped gfi with the others working.

Well it is a GFI outlet in the bathroom. So I guess I will have to hit the reset button and then see what happens. I am at work now but will check when I get back to the rig. I took the panel off the circuit breaker and it looked fine.

So if one outlet works and the other two don't then what could be the problem or solution? I know it is hard to tell me over the internet, I work in healthcare and it is like a patient who want's advice over the phone and dosen't want to be examined.

Patrick

GFCI's can go bad. Any outlets on the load side would be affected. They make a gfci tester and costs about $10.00 in the big chain stores. They have an easy read led diagnostic display that will also direct you to any hard wire issues such as open neutrals.

One other problem I run into as an electrician is "back wired" receptacles. If your ac lines "push" into the back of the receptacle they can sometimes stop working. There is only a thin copper blade making contact with the supply wire. Both hot and neutral. If everything else checks out, replace the receptacles with new using the screws on the side. Good luck.

Turns out it was the GFI in the bathroom. I hit reset and all was good. Must have tripped along with the breaker when I flipped the fridge to electric.

Even though I don't think running the heater was the cause, I will be much more mindful about running appliances, heaters etc. I admit I am still learning much about my "home".

Appreciate all the help. Great forum. Once I get the RV back home I plan on doing a lot with the interior and under the hood. Great info on this site.

Best,

Patrick

Older gfi's were not real fond of resistive loads (heaters) they often would trip when they were plugged in.

i had a gfi like that once. eventually got tired of it popping & replaced.

the humming sounds like it might be the power converter - the transformer on older solid state type units hum when generating DC power which is used to charge the house batter & power house lights & possibly a frig if it is in DC setting (if so equipped).