My dolphin wont start up at all and so I had my mechanic tow it to his shop. He thinks there is some kind of wire that is not connected to it and he cannot figure out how to fix it. He is afraid to have it lifted for fear of the frame might break. He says he has tried every thing to start it and nothing works, so somehow he has come to the conclusion that it is a wire problem.

My dolphin wont start up at all and so I had my mechanic tow it to his shop. He thinks there is some kind of wire that is not connected to it and he cannot figure out how to fix it. He is afraid to have it lifted for fear of the frame might break. He says he has tried every thing to start it and nothing works, so somehow he has come to the conclusion that it is a wire problem.

If the guy is really a mechanic and has a reputable repair shop - he ought to have a hand-held circuit/battery load tester. A "no start" cause on any vehicle would be located quickly.

Do the headllights come on? If so, do they dim when you try to crank?

Starting (cranking) should be a very basic skill set that any mechanic should be able to trouble shoot.

Did it work OK and just started doing this?

one very, very dumb question - Do you need to put your foot on the brake for the starter to engage, also try starting in the Neutral position instead of Parked.

Using a jumper wire directly to the start solenoid on the starter, does it crank.

I assume this is a 6 banger. The diagram is for an 88 four cyl, but should be very similar.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-16304500-1367426954_thumb.jp

Sometimes tapping the starter with a hard object will "reset" and allow a start.

I've gone almost a year with the above method, needing more and more taps to get a "reset."

Then I changed the starter.

This method works on Cessna 172 starter solenoids as well.

sky those selonid contacts are problmatic most of the time that is what is wrong if it is the starter

two things does it have spark and is it getting gas to the eng. I had a dodge van that all the sudden would not start no gas at injecters we took a rubber mallet and banged on the bottem of the tank then it started right up kept a mallet on board UNTIL I REPLACED THE ELETRIC FUEL PUMP IN THE TANK. A MECHANIC TOLD ME TO DO THAT. and it worked to jumpstart the pump.