My first post!

Odyssey 4x4

Hey everyone, I've been lurking on this forum for a couple months checking out what people had to say about their Toyota minis. I was looking into purchasing one and started searching around my area but unfortunately all the ones I looked at were in pretty bad shape or overpriced. I constantly searched craigslist (my entire state), ebay, and a few other sites. I even almost drove to North Carolina to pick one up (I'm in Florida). One day I was at an auto parts store I asked my friend that worked there if he knew anyone with a Toyota RV for sale and he said yeah! The guy wasn't trying to sell it and it was not listed anywhere but he offered to show it to me and he may sell it! I checked it out, it was a 1987 Toyota Escaper automatic. The condition was awesome. It had everything I wanted including a working ac unit, working refrigerator, working Onan Microlite, full and functional bathroom and kitchen, and plenty more. It fired right up and so did the generator from the in cab switch and outside. It drove great but the brakes felt a little off. The condition was overall pretty great compared to most I've seen, especially considering what I paid for it. I loved it!

A test drive and a couple days later I was driving it home. It needs a few things here and there fixed and I will be doing some custom stuff in it as well. Anyways, I've had it a few days and love it and have been doing this and that to it getting ready to travel this summer while I'm off from college. I just finished installing a new drain valve for the fresh water tank, new rear brake system, and new stereo system. I have been taking many pictures of all the things I've been doing to it as well and posting the work in a blog I made dedicated to my travels (not sure if I am aloud to post link here).

YcrJL1Z.jpg

I will try to devote what I can to this site but I am super busy most of the time with school so I usually only get to work on it on weekends. I have followed many threads on here and in all the different sub forums and there is some awesome information from this community! I will add what I can as I do all my own work and am quite mechanically able. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions to ask too. :)

Thanks for the read!

ouQrVnR.jpg

IsueKgv.jpg

Don't know what you paid for it but it looks real good 6 bolt wheel all around looks well cared for you'll have a ball with that.

If I didn't get my Escaper out of storage yesterday, I would be driving over there right now to make sure it is still there. I love the quality of the Escaper. I didn't know that there was a twin driving around.

What year is your RV? If you don't mind me asking, How much did you have to pay for it?

How old are you anyway? You have got to be the youngest person on the forum unless you are a non-traditional college student.

Here is my Escaper:

post-5523-0-28923900-1366218439_thumb.jp

Thanks guys. It's a 1987. It seems well taken care of, it has all the paperwork and documents with it for the coach, truck, and all appliances. There are receipts from the last few years including a new ac unit, new carb on the generator, and plenty of other things. One of the receipts was for $2,600 alone on parts and maintenance!

I paid $4,500 for it which I consider a steal with the condition, and working generator and all working appliances including the lp gas/electric refrigerator.

Also, I probably am the youngest on the forum, 23 years old to be exact. I study biology at USF in Tampa, FL. I have been wanting to travel for as long as I can think about since I've only ever gotten the chance to see Buffalo, NY and Michigan. After a few years I made it a reality and had the money for the Escaper and have money put away to fund travels for the summer.

Nice Escaper by the way Bob, ours are definitely twins.

Great deal on a great RV ! Welcome to the forum. :)

Andrew.

Mine was a rear bed model, put many miles on it. This series of Escapers were aluminum framed, so they will still leak but never rot.

Thats its replacement in the background, a 26ft Class A

post-18-0-10124700-1366305562_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-45451400-1366305613_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-28461300-1366305656_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-68495700-1366305698_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the welcome and info everyone. I do believe mine is the aluminum frame as I have all the manuals and paperwork and it shows the frame being aluminum on the pamphlet that came with the rv. Surprisingly enough I have sat in the camper through a pretty harsh rain storm and the only leak I am seeing is coming in around the emergency escape window (the large window on the drivers side), so I will be finding that leak when I get the time.

If anyone wants to, they can check out my blog I just started up at (www.daysofexploration.blogspot.com). I've got a few things I've done to it on there and will be posting plenty more plus when I actually travel it will all be documented on there.

So far I've had to redo some hoses on the fresh water tank (previous owner had overflow draining back into the cabin beside the 12v distribution box...). I also had to put a new freshwater drain valve because the one on it was completely rotted out and dripped all the time, not very ideal for dry camping :)

I also just did a complete rear brake job on it since the rears were locking up. Parts included new cylinders, shoes, drums, and I replaced all the fluid. While it was apart I also replaced the main seals and regreased the bearings since they were in good shape. I also did a new head unit install since it had a non working cassette player, the new system can hook up to smart phones via USB and has a few extra hook ups in the glove box. I'm waiting for my next day off to install the new 12v water pump for the coach, new cab carpet since it currently doesn't have one, and will be doing a full led light conversion when my lights get here. I ordered them on ebay and it says they should be here within a few days. Within the next month or two I will most likely be painting the entire thing.

It's funny, I've had fast cars and motorcycles but I enjoy working on my old Toyota camper the most haha

Edited by I<3myEscaper

Sounds like a great project! I am enjoying the little repair / improvement projects on ours, since buying it recently. It's proving to be the best application of my long standing interest in LEDs. Sounds like you have some good wandering plans on your horizon in the new rig :-)

Derek my toy was an 86, it had Filon with square aluminum tubing for the frame

Sierra before you carpet the cab put down a layer or two of Reflextix insulation, it will greatly reduce the heat from the cat converter and transmission