Lets Talk CSF Radiators

ShaggyRV

OK. I replaced my Rad back in the summer last year with a CSF 850 2 row. Well its not cutting it for me. I went to Myrtle beach this past weekend and all was well on the way down with temps in the 40's. on the way back with temps in the low 60's the rig would heat up at highway speeds. approaching the upper white line as before. I have replaced all hoses, belts, water pump, 2 thermostats 3 fan clutches, 2 radiator caps and of course coolant. It seems that the rad is fine until ambient temps get above 60 and then it starts to heat up. It has never overheated but it really annoys me to see it that high.

So I'm looking at a 3 row CSF to replace my 2 row. The funny thing is the CSF 850 says it will fit 85 and up but the CSF 2314 says its only for 86 and up but not an 85. They have the same core Height and width. Another funny thing is they list the CSF 2306 for an 85 but it has a different core size than the 850 and 2314. So has anyone fitted a 2314 in a 1985 22RE Toybox. I want the 2314 because it is shorter like my 850 and I don't want to get it and have fitment problems. If you have done it let me know.

Shaggy

post-6138-0-03108400-1363211663_thumb.jp

Sorry for the crappy pic. I was driving ya know.

Is this cooling systems & flexibles? My gandad was president or Vice President of that company at some point, so when I needed a new radiator for my truck, I got one through him. I remember it cracking within a few months...

Is this cooling systems & flexibles? My gandad was president or Vice President of that company at some point, so when I needed a new radiator for my truck, I got one through him. I remember it cracking within a few months...

Don't think so. they are all metal units. really nice. i should have gotten the 3 row to start with!! Ugh

I'm no mechanic but I had problem with my rv 10+ years ago with high temps and mechanic checked everything had different temperature thermostat installed and problem solved. Although ever since it gets close to hot upon initial warm up every time run and then drops to below mid. Stays that way in 100+ temps in gridlock. No Ac

just a thought

Are you using a Toyota factory thermostat?? There have been many reports of problems with non factory stats in the V-6 and some on the 4 banger

I currently have the OEM Toyota 2 stage thermostat that is supposed to solve the problem that 85mirage mentioned about temp getting high on initial warmup then being normal. The gauge seems to be linear as it goes up. No sudden jumps or anything. When I had my original clutch fan back in it the temp never got above 1/3 but it was on all the time which was loud and sucked down my gas milage. It seems I need a bigger Rad as its fine up to a certain point then its gets high temps. I am going to put another temp sensor in to see if that helps. So back to my question. Has anyone used the CSF 2314 in a pre 86 truck?

Shaggy

On my 86 Toy M/H, when I changed to a 3 row the only problem I ran across was the tin under plate would not fit. No problems driving that way.

No ideas of PN though (6 years ago)

I also replaced mine with a CFS 2 row a couple of years ago and I can't get my thermostat above halfway even in 100 degree temps. MIne is an 86 though. What do you have now instead of a factory clutch fan. I'm betting whatever it is that is the culprit. Temp sensor would have an even steady rise if it was faulty.

Linda S

Its not in the red, and is it causing the board to shut the truck down when shut off ? Is the rig overheating to failure physically other than the gauge?

Ive seen an add on digital temp gauge on ebay might be worth the small expense to try it out and know exact temp in degrees.

Unless the rig is overheating, smoking or reaching heat level of being put in safe mode I wouldn't worry too much just on gauge approaching white..

i know an engineer that had an electrical problem in his VW... he replaced the dash cluster, wire harness, ECU, and spend thousands on a problem that turned out to be faulty battery terminal.