4WD Chinook for WAY less then $14,000

zero

There was recent discussion here in regard to a 4WD Chinook the owner said was worth $14,000. Many comments indicated that $14K was a normal price.

Here's one for $5000. I came across it by accident when looking for small RVs in the Monroe and Albany areas of NY. Seems Washington State or Oregon also have a Monroe and Albany.

http://eugene.craigslist.org/rvs/3550924194.html

1983 Toyota 4 x 4 with Chinook retrofit. 193K miles, 22R engine, one-year-old rebuilt transmission, dual-battery system, mag wheels. Propane stove and heater, sink, quad CD/tape/radio, pop-up top, lots of storage, nearly queen-sized bed, bamboo floor, LED lights. $5000 firm. Don't email--call Lee, 541-847-5263.

post-6578-0-73993700-1362237470_thumb.jp

Not a diesel, but in reality a lot more useful for the average Toy mh user.

The body looks newer then 83 seems like some one put the camper on a later truck.

Yeah I guess your right but some thing doesn't look right maybe it just the color doesn't match.

Not a diesel, but in reality a lot more useful for the average Toy mh user.

The dollar difference between $14,000 and $5000 leaves room to install a small diesel, paint the truck, and have tons of money left over to blow on something else.

I'd wonder why a diesel is wanted though ?? I've been working with diesels most of my life and still own over a dozen diesel powered rigs. But . . . diesel fuel is now often 50 cents more per gallon then regular gas and the new diesel has around 5% less BTU energy then it used to. With the price disparity, lower fuel mileage potential, and higher expense for maintenance - I fail to see a huge advantage anymore. If someone has a mechanically injected diesel with a rotary injection pump (most do in the US), low-lube in new diesel fuel is also an issue. Even with farm trucks, diesel is not a great advantage anymore. I have two trucks I run on off-road diesel or heating oil. Up to this this year, off-road fuel was subtantially cheaper then highway diesel. Not anymore. Even heating oil now is almost the same price as ultra-low sulfur diesel at the pump.

Diesel engines inherently have less horsepower and less torque then gas powered counter parts if setup the same, equal bore and stroke, equal aspiraton, etc. If you compare a diesel to a gas by fuel mileage versus power - there can be a 20% to 30% advantage with a diesel, but . . Things are changing with many of the newer gas powered rigs.

Jeep is coming out with a new diesel Cherokee that they are hoping will get 28-30 MPG. I don't get the math. The option is at least an extra $5000. You could buy a Ford Escape AWD with a gas engine and get 30 MPG and buy much cheaper fuel. Not a completely fair comparison - but the way many people use SUVs as commuter rigs - close enough.

For sure with heavy rigs used hard, there is still an advantage with diesel. In something small, I'm not so sure anymore. I can tow 8000 lbs. and get 13-14 MPG with a diesel. If it was gas, when towing I'd be getting 9-10 MPG.

My diesel Dodge 4WD truck with a pop-up roof slide-on camper can get 17 MPG on fuel that often 15-20% more then gasoline. $26 for 100 miles. If it had a gas engine it might get 14 MPG. Again . . $26 for 100 miles by what prices were a month ago. Now? If gas keeps climbing and diesel does not, the diesel advantage will return. If a Toyota RV with a gas engine can get 15 MPG, then a diesel needs to get 20-22 MPG to make it worth while as I see it. I know the Winnebago Lesharos with 2.2 liter turbo diesel tend to get around 20 MPG. I don't know what kind of figures are out there for diesel- Toyota swaps.

Having had a VW TDI I would trade my two year old Tacoma tomorrow if Toyota offered one with a 3L turbo diesel. The TDI would pull hills that the gas version would never think of in 5th gear. 1.8L gas maybe 30 MPG the 1.9 50 MPG and I drove it like I stole it. I tow a lot I sure would like the low end driving torque of a diesel option. Yes diesel costs more here in Maine it's the cost of high test but with 30% better fuel economy I can live with that.

Having had a VW TDI I would trade my two year old Tacoma tomorrow if Toyota offered one with a 3L turbo diesel. The TDI would pull hills that the gas version would never think of in 5th gear. 1.8L gas maybe 30 MPG the 1.9 50 MPG and I drove it like I stole it. I tow a lot I sure would like the low end driving torque of a diesel option. Yes diesel costs more here in Maine it's the cost of high test but with 30% better fuel economy I can live with that.

I have two 1991 Jetta diesels. Great fuel mileage. 48 MPG and used to get 50 MPG on long highway trips. 38 MPG on back road hill climbs.

Your TDI pulls better then the gas engine because it is turbocharged. If you put two engines side-by-side, with the same bore and stroke and the same PSI turbo-boost - the gas engine wins every time. More torque and more horsepower. The idea of diesels having more inherent torque is a myth. Much of it seems to come from the fact that diesel engines for HD use tend to have long stroke and smaller bore - whereas LD gas engines tend to have shorter strokes as compared to bore. Long stroke equals more mechanical advantage on the crank throw and more torque.

Not easy to compare in cars and trucks but very easy to do with farm and industrial equipment. That because many HD tractors, dozers, big trucks etc. use gas and diesel versions of the same engines and published comprehensive dyno tests for horsepower and torque.

I don't know off-hand of many auto engines to compare fairly (equal bore and stroke and equal aspiration). 350 Oldsmobile gas engine versus the 350 Oldsmobile diesel is one. 1.8 Isuzu gas versus 1.8 diesel is another. Probably a 1.6 VW gas and diesel are the same engine formats (but I'm not 100% sure).

Also the 7.3 diesel used in Ford pickups as compared to the 7.3 liter original gas version used in school buses. The gas engines out do the diesels with power and torque .

Now adays you can buy a full size gasoline powered pickup truck and get 22 MPG on the highway. The best diesel pickups I know of when driven the same can barely get 20 MPG on fuel that costs much more. When towing - the diesels offer a big advantage in fuel mileage. But with fuel sometimes 20% more and purchase price often an extra $10,000 - it's often not worth it in the long run. I'll note though that the new diesel pickups are HD 3/4 ton or 1 ton whereas the 22 MPG gas trucks are usually lighter. Light 1/2 ton diesel trucks were dropped years back by all makers although GM is the only one that made any since 1978. Dodge made one for one year with a Misubishi 6 cylinder diesel in half ton.

Here is my turbo-diesel powered 1978 Toyota Chinook. I guess the diesel power is kind of "indirect" though.

We got 14 MPG from Maine to NY with the diesel truck, camper on back, and trailer hooked to it with the Toyota Chinook. One truck, two RVs, two adults, one kid, and one dog.

post-6578-0-70967400-1362329670_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-06989000-1362329673_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-97446500-1362329674_thumb.jp

Yeah I guess your right but some thing doesn't look right maybe it just the color doesn't match.

It's not stock. I'm guessing that's the confusion? That's an 82 or 83 pickup (square headlights give that away), with a 70's Chinook camper taken off a 2wd.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I learned a great deal of Diesel engines out of jdemaris! thank you. Not too get off topic but I once thought of swaping a diesel engine to a 91 4x4 Toy pickup but scrapped the idea due to higher maintenance and lack of parts.

I then not too long ago I bought a '98 GMC Diesel with 6.5L Detroit Diesel in it to replace my '94 F150 4.9L I6 for my construction side of the company used for towing HD equipments and trailers. The owner of the GM truck just spent $8K at the dealer replacing the pump and the auto tranny (I saw receipts). The truck had $175K miles and it was a 4x4, ran great, with lots of power, and cool AC! Stroke a deal for $1.5K (needed 2 batteries!). My guys were smiling big time with the additional power and comfort. In just a few weeks, the GM got stolent, after recovery, the injection pump, the transmission, transfer case, and 4 wheels were taken out of it. Insurance total lost it...BTW, the diesel GM truck got 8 MPG.

Well the settlement $ was enought for me to get a gas '05 F250 V8 (5.4L) crew cab 2WD (no need for 4WD) I didn't really feel much difference on power though on trips around town only when towing over the hills. Maintenance and gas bills are lower (13-15MPG).

No more diesel for me...at least for a long while...maybe hybrid truck (like Sierra?) or downsizing to old Toyota truck/Tacoma for service calls and light hauling....