For those who need a Powered Roof Vent

Nam

I have a powered vent similar to this one in my bathroom. I found it on ebay for 22 dollars. I find it doesn't have enough fan power to really move air in the whole Rv. Where my AC used to be I have a Maxxfan vent. Huge fan blade and moves tons of air. Costs more but worth it. Also doesn't need an extra vent cover to use in the rain. Vent cover is built in and becomes flush with roof when closed

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-vents/maxx-air-maxxfan.htm

Linda S

Great, I think vent is better than the stock bathroom vent...that thing is so noisy and I am not sure how much air it can move

Go to PPL site and search Vortex vent fan conversion, cheaper and will move a lot more air. Add a $5dpdt switch and it will reverse, all for less than $55.

Go to PPL site and search Vortex vent fan conversion, cheaper and will move a lot more air. Add a $5dpdt switch and it will reverse, all for less than $55.

Maybe for bathroom use but at 188 CFM it doesn't compare with the Maxxfan vent I posted. It moves 500CFM on low and 900CFM on high. Add to that it can be used while moving and doesn't require those ugly permanent roof covers to use in the rain. Mine is 8 years old and still works perfectly.

Linda S

I thought we were talking about bathroom fans, per orginal post.

I can deal with ugly as long as its cheap enough.;-)

I thought we were talking about bathroom fans, per orginal post.

I can deal with ugly as long as its cheap enough.;-)

No first post he says he put that fan where his roof top ac unit used to be. I can deal with ugly as long as it's in the bathroom

Linda

I have one of these and I would buy another in a heart beat. I did buy it on serious sale moves huge amounts of air and on low speed draws about the same as one light bulb. http://www.fantasticvent.com/products/model_6000/model_6000.html It is a little interesting in light rain because it closes up drys off and opens again but over all I really like it, you can let it do it's thing and not worry about the camper filing with water if your not there and the thermostat works very well I just open the windows on the shady side and let it draw air in when I come back it's nice and cool.

Hi, I appreciated this discussion. Currently I have a working AC on top of my '90 Toy/Winnie but found recently that it leaks like a sieve. ( I bought it last April in dry weather in Oregon. The seller in Talent, OR lied about many things it turned out.) I recently caulked around the base with some high-tech caulking and hope it works. If not, I'll probably take Linda's suggestion about the fan installation.

Hi, I appreciated this discussion. Currently I have a working AC on top of my '90 Toy/Winnie but found recently that it leaks like a sieve. ( I bought it last April in dry weather in Oregon. The seller in Talent, OR lied about many things it turned out.) I recently caulked around the base with some high-tech caulking and hope it works. If not, I'll probably take Linda's suggestion about the fan installation.

A leaky AC mount is a $20.00 DIY fix with a new gasket.

I use a Maxx Fan or something like it above the bed. It came with the camper so I am not sure of brand. Moves a lot of air in or out. Great for sleeping in hot weather. It is also quite enough to sleep rite next to it. It does have some noise which is nice if there is outside noise that you want to drown out. Some Walmart parking lots that I have stayed at were the teen hangout spots till late.

ALSO - Install one of those MaxxAir vent covers on top of the vent, then you can leave it open, even when it pouring down rain.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 2 weeks later...

Just got that fan and it has "powered lid" when I can find some spare time...a rain sensor is all it would need to have it automatically closed when it rains...

I just bought and installed a new Fan-Tastic 14" power vent with three speeds, thermostat, and rain sensor. $85 on sale which I think was a heck of a good deal. $8 shipping and not tax.

Works really neat but I had one heck of time fitting into my Chinook roof. Original was 9" square. The pop-up roof with a ridge in the middle needed some mods and bracing to get a 14" vent in there.

• 3 months later...