Please help!..Dolphin secret lever

Marco1503

1st question: there's a lever on the driver side in between the door and seat. its some type of off and on gas lever.

seems to lead to the sink in the kitchen and the other side leads to the radiator...

i'm guessing its a way of using hot water without the heater.. is this custom?

and how do i work it??

2nd question: i have a over the stove extractor that was removed from my toyota by previous owner and

well now it seems unlikely that he took it off from where it belongs.

see there's 2 white cables over where the extractor goes ( i know it goes there because that where the vent is and it fits perfectly in the vent hole) but on the top of the extractor those cables are black and white. ground and live wire i think.

please help me determine how to plug in i tried plugging it in every way possible and the extractor wont turn on.

sorry if i didn't explain too well..

Marco;

Never heard of the lever, You might want to take a photo and post it.

As for the range hood, Mine has a blower and light, thats probably what the wires are for, if you have a volt meter, you might check if there is 12 volts on those wires.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

1st question: there's a lever on the driver side in between the door and seat. its some type of off and on gas lever.

seems to lead to the sink in the kitchen and the other side leads to the radiator...

i'm guessing its a way of using hot water without the heater.. is this custom?

and how do i work it??

2nd question: i have a over the stove extractor that was remover from my toyota by previous owner and

well now it seems unlikely that he took it off from where it belongs.

see there's 2 white cables over where the extractor goes (i know it goes there because that where the vent is and it fits perfectly in the vent hole) but on the top of the extractor those cables are black and white. ground and live wire i think.

please help me determine how to plug in i tried plugging it in every way possible and the extractor wont turn on.

sorry if i didn't explain too well..

Hello Marco,

If you are able, please provide a picture of the lever, or tell us a bit more about it. Does it look like it was part of the original design?

The exhaust hood, over the stove normally requires just two wires, a positive (+) wire and a negative (-) which provide power to the exhaust fan hood (and possibly to power the exhaust hood light). So if the exhaust hood has a connection point ( a small metal box) which you can open, you might see two terminals (screws) and that is where you would connect the wires. Be sure to connect the positive (+) to the black wire and the negative (-) to the white wire. If the fans appears to be turning the wrong way, turn the power off and switch wires.

THANKS YOU GUYS!

HHHMMM SO THAT LEVER IS SOMETHING ELSE HUH..

IT LOOKS LIKE IT WOULD USE HEAT FROM THE RADIATOR TO HEAT UP WATER FOR THE KITCHEN SINK.

JUST A GUESS WILL PUT UP PICS AS SOON AS I CAN,

omg that is AWESOME.... check maybe also to see if it maybe is heating the water lines to keep them from freezing for winter use. we were just talking about this the other day in another thread. Sweet!

Or using engine heat to heat the coach.. Use an oil cooler and hook it up to the engine radiator and hook a blow to it.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Its home made you are the only one with one.

If I didn't see the radiator I would think it was a nitrous or propane injector.

But its a valve for coolant.

I'm not positive it does something useful. So you have no overflow tank ....

Marco,

This doesn't make sense??? First, I've never seen that lever, so its something a previous owner did.

Second. Why would they have a valve on the radiator overflow? This could cause potential problems.

The hose in your last photo is the radiator overflow, Are you sure the hose goes to that valve? where does the other end of the valve go to.

I would be concerned about blocking the radiator overflow. When the engine heats up, it pressurizes the radiator, and will force a small amount of coolant out the overflow. If the overflow is blocked (valve closed) the coolant and pressure have nowhere to go. This could cause radiator hoses (or even your radiator) to burst,

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

NO GUYS, THE HOSE IS NOT AT ALL CONNECTED TO THE RADIATOR IT JUST SITS ON TOP OF IT AS SHOWN ABOVE..

I HAVE A RADIATOR OVERFLOW TANK JUST LIKE ANY TOYOTA HOME..

THE HOSE HOWEVER GOES FROM SITTING ABOVE THE RADIATOR TO THE KITCHEN SINK IN THE RV.

I CAN POST PHOTOS OF THAT AS WELL. :D

THANK YOU GUYS FOR TRYING TO HELP ME SOLVE THIS MYSTERY AND PLEASE KEEP IT.

JUST TO CLEAR THING UP ITS NOT THE RADIATOR OVERFLOW HOSE.. I COULD SEE HOW YOU GUYS THOUGHT THAT SINCE ITS IN THE PICTURES, BUT ITS ACTUALLY THE METAL HOSE UNDER IT TO THE LEFT.

HERES SOME PICTURES OF IT AS IT LEADS TO THE FRONT OF THE RADIATOR

post-6112-0-90911500-1358186998_thumb.jp

post-6112-0-72856100-1358187014_thumb.jp

post-6112-0-45517000-1358187050_thumb.jp

it looks connected to it in the photo with a compression clamp. is that not the hose?

if its the pipe in front of the radiator that doesn't make much sense either.

Have you tried it yet?

if you look at the lever its a standard ball valve and shows "on" or "off".

Have you driven a bit with it "on" then tried hot water?

give it a try.

Make sure you have water... I am of the personal belief that this is one of the fabled "Motor Aid" hot water tank boosters. in theory it can send 225 degree water to the hot water tank from the engine bay. Winnebago was known to install these as an option. they are NOT to be operated without water in your system and hot water tank connected if so.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=59155.0

Here is the unit for those that want propane alternative like JDE:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suburban-Water-Heater-Gas-110V-DSI-w-Motor-Aid-6-Gal-Model-Number-SW6DEM-/321040696500?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4abf8444b4&vxp=mtr

basically the unit will cycle coolant all the way back to the hot water tank and heat it while driving. pretty freaking schweet I must say. I want one. if my tank dies I'm definately all in to get one.

There was an option on some water heaters called Motoraide it ran engine hot water through a loop in the water heater to give you hot water with out using propane.

What you need to do is get under your Toy and see where the hose goes. To work properly there have to be 2 hoses , hot out and a cold return.

Spraybar -The pipe that is front of the radiator, look on the bottom of it and see if it has holes drilled in it to spray water on the radiator.

If your overheating, turn the valve, and water will spray on the radiator to cool it. Works in theory, not very effective in reality.

If you have an overheating problem, fix it.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

so i will check it out to see if it has spray holes on the bottom.

meanwhile going camping in south orange county area for 3 days.

but i will post weather it has the holes. i think that sounds to be the most reasonable answer.

..and one more question today i was running the sink water through my rv and water came out from under the rv from a pipe thats directly under the sink..

any ideas what that for??

my pv moterhome 78 had a rear heater hoses of the eng all the way back to a rear heater worked nice in the fall

Check your drain valve (purge valve) these are prolly open on yours. They are grey plastic. Push the valve all the way down. It's leaking from the supply line not the drain line. These valves are used to bleed system for winterization.

Good luck!

thanks.

and yes i just checked theres some holes along the bottom of that metal hose and i think it to cool down the radiator when cars close to over heating.

side note:

AAAAHH I WAS DYING MY SEAT COVERS ON MY DOLPHIN AND BROTHER IN LAW TRASHES ONE OF THE COVERS BECAUSE I WAS DYING THEM AND LEFT IT IN THE BACKYARD TO DRY!

MEANING I HAVE TO REUPHOLSTER ALL OF THEM OR THEYLL NO LONGER MATCH. SETTING ME BACK $300 DOLLARS!

> :(.

Someone must have had some overheating problems in the past. You probably need to leave the electric coach water pump running to make the spraybar work.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

A friend of mine had a huge pusher diesel and he had a water spray system for the radiator with it's own pump and tank but on a Toyota? Seems easier to fix the problem!

It's certainly starting to sound like an add-on cooler. I've no experience using one but am aware of the theory behind them.

A typical DIY installation used a windshield washer pump to spray water on the front of the radiator. Evaporative cooling helps remove heat from the system. Supposedly a short spray will have significant effects, so it's not a question of spraying gallons and gallons on in one burst.

So, if you're water tank is empty and/or your pump isn't left switched on, probably nothing will happen when you open your mystery valve.