Travel to West Coast

mini-wini-dan

I am planning a trip to San Francisco from NE Pennsylvania. Any comments or tips for traveling with a 4 cyl. 22 rec mini wini through this area. Are the Rockies doable or should I avoid going up and down the slopes? Any experiences that can be shared? -- thanks appreciate any comments based on experiences.

Thanks Dan

I drove from Philly to San Diego in a Penske truck with my 1994 Toyota pickup inside the back with my belongings behind that so you couldn't see it without unloading the truck half way. I was also pulling a 1997 sebring convertable behind on a tow dolly. Lets just say I was overloaded so comparing to a Toy House is probably close to what you will experience. I opted to take I81 south into Tenn and then all the way across I40 to Flagstaff, AZ. The climb into the rockies is gradual but consistent starting around Albuquerque NM. I picked up 17S in Flagstaff down to Phoenix and then on to I10 west. Not far outside of Phoenix I took a road down to I8 west. I don't remember that road number. Well I don't have any clue what I10 West towards LA has to offer from there. All I can say is that the truck had no problems climbing until I hit the Sierra Nevada mountains in California on I8. I was cruising along thinking this is no big deal and I see these mountains ahead and I'm running below sea level in a desert. I thought for sure that truck was going to break down climbing those hills!! The next guy who rented that truck may have had problems because it was tough. You will more than likely be taking I70 across I would guess. Not sure about that route other than I drove a rental car out of Denver west on I70 and the climb was pretty serious there. I broke off I70 and headed to Steamboat from there. Good luck on your trip. I'm not sure what the more northern routes have to offer you.

Just go where you want to go. Your rig will do just fine. In the past 17 years I've driven all over the west in my '85 Dolphin 4 cylinder 22 re automatic with no problems. You'll be going pretty slow up the mountains but you'll get there. Just relax and enjoy the scenery. Any idea on what routes you'll be taking?

John

What time of year are you planning this trip?

I just finished a trip almost identical to this. About 6,000 miles, NW Ohio to Phoenix, San Diego, San Jose, back to Toledo.

If I'm in no particular hurry, I use the US routes i.e. we took US-24 rather than I-70. from Toledo to St Louis. On the way back we took US-50 from San Fransisco all the way to Grand Junction (I-70)

Look at your tire size (you have good tires) and if your planning on winter travel, carry a set of chains. Then you can make a decision to stop until the roads are cleared, or put the chains on and keep going.

We overnight at Walmart, roadside rests, and truck stops (I also hear that Cracker Barrel allows overnight), We look particularly for Love's truck stops. These seem to be newer, and larger, Also many have McDonalds, so the next morning coffee and an egg sandwich are just a few feet away.

When scouting out a parking spot, we sit in the lot for a few minutes to see where all the entrances and exits are, and then get as far away from them as possible, Particularly at the truck stops, stay away from entrance and exit. try and park out of the way so as not to interfere with normal parking or business.

Also roadside rests are good, Park at the ends and consider backing into the parking spot (If able I like to back in, that way the MH takes up the same space as a car without the back of the MH hanging out. USE CAUTION when backing in, don't want to to rip off you water tanks from stuff sticking up out of the ground.)

I'll post a map of our rout that we took this last trip.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I am planning a trip to San Francisco from NE Pennsylvania. Any comments or tips for traveling with a 4 cyc. 22 rec mini wini through this area. Are the Rockies doable or should I avoid going up and down the slopes? Any experiences that can be shared?--thanks appreciate any comments based on experiences.

Thanks Dan

No "modern" advice. However, I'm planning a similar trip with my 1978 Toyota Chinook. The last time I took the trip I started from New Jersey near the PA line and took the just opened new "super highway" Route 80. Did it in a 62 Chevy with a six cylinder engine. That thing had a real hard time climbing mountains out west. But I only paid $15 for it and finally junked it when I got to Costa Mesa, CA. I remember being in places where traffic was going 80 MPH and the Chevy couldn't get past 45 MPH.

Heres a map of the trip, 7500 miles total. The toughest climb was I-70 tunnel just west of Denver (11,000 ft) we did that climb in 1st gear at about 25mph, not a big deal, just put on the 4 ways and fall in line with the trucks.

FYI - Propane use - I topped off the tank in Surprise (NW of Pheonix) . and it lasted just a little over a week (8 days). I have one of the 5 gallon (20lb) horizontal tanks.

We were running the frig full time on propane, I also ran the Mr Buddy heater for 5 nights , about 7 hours each night at 9,000 btu. Lowest temperature was -1 at Green River Utah.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-11975800-1357569524_thumb.jp

It'll make it up the mtn passes fine if its in decent condition. Just don't let being slow stress you out. I went from Utah/Montana to New York and back twice in my 86 toyota pickup, with 200,000 miles on it. I just learned to accept my speed...and stay out of people's way as best I could.

Just remember to let the engine spin. Don't lug the it. Red line is about 5200 rpm and the truck will be happier climbing hills at 4500 rpm than it would be at 3000 rpm. Take your time and enjoy the extra time to look at the scenery.

I have only had my MH to 7500 ft but it did the steep roads just fine, it just took a little longer. Remember to stay slow on the decents. You are working the brakes just as much as the engine.

Here's a map of the trip, 7500 miles total. The toughest climb was I-70 tunnel just west of Denver (11,000 ft) we did that climb in 1st gear at about 25mph, not a big deal, just put on the 4 ways and fall in line with the trucks.

FYI - Propane use - I topped off the tank in Surprise (NW of Phoenix) . and it lasted just a little over a week (8 days). I have one of the 5 gallon (20lb) horizontal tanks.

We were running the frig full time on propane, I also ran the Mr Buddy heater for 5 nights , about 7 hours each night at 9,000 btu. Lowest temperature was -1 at Green River Utah.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

So how was the climb over the mountains on I8 with the toy? I really want to take a trip like this but time is a factor for me. how long did the trip last and are all the numbers on your map where you stayed the night? Or are they fuel/food stops?

I did Michigan to Yellowstone and back again in 13 days.

I've also done Michigan to Maine and back again in 10 days with various stops along the way.

1985 22REC, had no issues other than being slow on the super gradients. In addition to what everyone ^ said, I suggest being aware of temperature gauge and after the crest of the hill take a pull off and open the hood to let the heat dump/take a break.

If overheated the engine will not start and will only beep with a bunch of read lights all lit up on the dash; just wait it out with the hood up if this happens during a break.

Shaggy, the numbers are just reference to force Microsoft Streets and Maps to select the route I took. If I get some time I'll go back and mark all the stops correctly from my log.

I drive at 55mph and run for 10 - 16 hours depending if I'm tired or just want to stop for a while. Usually stop about every three hours for fuel. Total trip was 14 days. No problems on the I-8 climb into San Diego, in fact, I passed another Dolphin who was pulling a utility trailer. His looked to be about a 88, the trailer I would guess was probably 1000 - 1500 lbs. I was hoping to meet up with him so I could verify his trailer hitch was the same as mine.

On the long climbs, rather than the tranny constantly shifting, I manually shift to 2nd or 1st and just hold a constant speed, i.e. 45 in 2nd, or 25 in 1st.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Shaggy, the numbers are just reference to force Microsoft Streets and Maps to select the route I took. If I get some time I'll go back and mark all the stops correctly from my log.

I drive at 55mph and run for 10 - 16 hours depending if I'm tired or just want to stop for a while. Usually stop about every three hours for fuel. Total trip was 14 days. No problems on the I-8 climb into San Diego, in fact, I passed another Dolphin who was pulling a utility trailer. His looked to be about a 88, the trailer I would guess was probably 1000 - 1500 lbs. I was hoping to meet up with him so I could verify his trailer hitch was the same as mine.

On the long climbs, rather than the tranny constantly shifting, I manually shift to 2nd or 1st and just hold a constant speed, i.e. 45 in 2nd, or 25 in 1st.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

That must have been quite a trip. Did that leave you any time to stay anywhere for a couple of days or were you on the move daily? I ask because I really want to take the wife to California and show her my old stomping grounds in the San Diego area and then a few days in LA/Hollyweird. I just drove to Jacksonville Fl the weekend before Christmas down one day and back the next. The following weekend I woke up the Granville and took my two young sons back to Florida in that. Did the Walmart sleep over thing going down and back. Coming back on I77 into VA here is a pretty good climb. I put the rig into 2nd gear and climbed it at 40-45mph. Here locally in WV I climbed a short but steep mountain and put it in 1st and climbed it at 25mph. Before the new Rad water pump and fan clutch my rig would almost overheat there. now with the new parts it doesn't go past 1/3 on the gauge ever!! Just today I refined the engine timing and put in a new air filter and o2 sensor hoping to improve mileage and performance. I drove the rig to Key West and back last August and it ran way hotter than I liked. Never overheated but I had to stay at around 50mph. Its way better now. Some day I'm gonna make that trip out west..

Shaggy, we spent a couple days in Phoenix. also spent a couple days at Silver Strand (Coronado Island). Silver Strand is $50 a night with no services, you must be completely self contained. they close the gate at night so you need to be in or out.

I used to work in San Diego and LA, so I know both those cities fairly well.

Sounds like you got the toyhouse dialed in and are ready for a big road trip.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Shaggy, we spent a couple days in Phoenix. also spent a couple days at Silver Strand (Coronado Island). Silver Strand is $50 a night with no services, you must be completely self contained. they close the gate at night so you need to be in or out.

I used to work in San Diego and LA, so I know both those cities fairly well.

Sounds like you got the toyhouse dialed in and are ready for a big road trip.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I used to drive the silver strand every day on my way to north Island . I stopped there at the beach a few times. I love the weather out there!!!

Any comments about I-80 from Reno NV to Sacramento CA. I see that it cuts through the mountains just above Lake Tahoe. I will be traveling in July so is there any snow issues in the mountains there then?

Thanks to you all for the many replies sharing your travel experiences.

Any comments about I-80 from Reno NV to Sacramento CA. I see that it cuts through the mountains just above Lake Tahoe. I will be traveling in July so is there any snow issues in the mountains there then?

I was raised in Reno and now live in bay area. Have driven that many times -- it will be an easy, clear drive. Reno is 4500 and the summit is around 7000. Slight uphill for first 40 miles then down, down, down into Sacramento. Do it often in my Sunrader though you might want to go 395 and 50 to South Tahoe and go down 50 to Sacramento -- unless you are tired of Tahoe. Here is one trip to Tahoe.

Dan, no problem on the I-80 Donner summit, east or west bound. no snow in July, just a lot of tourist. :-)

Watch the fuel, you don't want to start this with 1/4 tank of gas, I always carry 2 gallon can in gen compartment (I don't have a gen)

If I remember, there is a dump station at the rest area at the top of the summit.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Just go where you want to go. Your rig will do just fine. In the past 17 years I've driven all over the west in my '85 Dolphin 4 cylinder 22 re automatic with no problems. You'll be going pretty slow up the mountains but you'll get there. Just relax and enjoy the scenery. Any idea on what routes you'll be taking?

John

Hi John we are looking at a northern route such as I-80 and going on a southern route on the return trip that will take us through southern CA near LA..

Heres a map of the trip, 7500 miles total. The toughest climb was I-70 tunnel just west of Denver (11,000 ft) we did that climb in 1st gear at about 25mph, not a big deal, just put on the 4 ways and fall in line with the trucks.

FYI - Propane use - I topped off the tank in Surprise (NW of Pheonix) . and it lasted just a little over a week (8 days). I have one of the 5 gallon (20lb) horizontal tanks.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Hi John

We are traveling in July so no concern about snow I am guessing? Anyhow thanks for sharing your info.

Dan