Question about your engine and the initial routine MV inspection. You stated at the beginning that your Toyota ran fine. Got into a shop for a routine inspection and seemingly all-or-a-sudden had a "death rattle" and zero compression in two cylinders. Things rarely happen that way. I'm still wondering what the true chain of causal events were. Valves don't bend from carbon-buildup in a "flash" during an inspection nor does a cylinder-head just blow to that degree under no load like that. If someone was revving the heck out of it and at timing chain slipped or timing belt walked off - I could see it. Not your problem though as stated. Something in the progression of this makes little sense mechanically.

I know in some states for MV inspection the vehicle is put on a dyno, revved and loaded to the max and then the exhaust is checked (emissions and/or infrared for smoke). Was anything like that done at the time the first problems showed up?

i have seen other engines that set for many years in his case sixteen years and when started seem to run fine at first but soon developed stuck valves . in my personal opinion that was probably caused by setting so many years. i am shure you know with a light alloy head on a iron block any over heating at all most often blows a head gasket. he states in the org post had no water

The death rattle is gone. Was bent valves and blown head gasket. Put in a lot of new stuff, water pump, thermostat, belts, fuel filter, p/s idle pully, and everything that needed to bring it back to life. Added a new performance air intake too. 4 shocks, all new front brake system, 7 tires, replaced every fluid,. I've only got 4 days left on my registration to get the inspection finished. Exhaust goes in Tuesday, might even get the rear bumper replaced with stainless steel tomorrow..

• 7 years later...

I know this post is old and I’m a new member my self, lurking for a bit longer than that, but the whole oil discussion amongst someone’s serious concerns with no attention being given to updates feels like classic toy home forum farting around. Is it just me or does no one read the OP full description either? I’m just btcin to an empty audience to make my self feel better after a largely dismissed post or two, don’t mind me, have a good day carry on and let the child in you burst forth in this toy kingdom.

Yes we are human and one topic can make us think of another and we do make comments not directly related to the original question. On the other hand oil is a very relevant topic when it comes to preserving these old engines. Also at this site we engage and try to help and we have some very knowledgeable members . I don't see anywhere where you have been dismissed. Did we not give you the answer you wanted? Deal with it

Linda S