Just bought my Toyota Horizon RV!!

errolprowse

It is in good running order, and i love it! I have been full timing in my other rv for three years now, and have been saving up for a toyota for awhile.

First thing that concerns me big time: the dragging in the back. Every time I hit a big dip or steep driveway, those two triangular back bars scrap the concrete really hard. I look at other pictures of our rigs and it seems like everyones is pretty low to the ground in the back. Is there any kits that can raise the rear? I have air bags in the back, and I filled them to 200 psi, and it is still pretty low for my liking. It sure is embarrasing to grind up every single dip i hit!

I want to add my battery bank of four marine batterys and my solar panel array, but im scared to do so till i get this figured out. any ideas out how to fix this?

There is another company that make the cylinder one but I don't remember the name of it. I had no idea any of them could handle that much pressure. Still Timbrens are good too but nothing is going to fix bad springs or lift the suspension enough to make up for bad springs. is there some way you can post a pic so the guys can see it.

Linda S

It all comes down to the diameter of whatever air springs (bags) you have installed. For a given air pressure, the larger the diameter, the more lift. The smaller diameter cylindrical ones give 2000lbs of lift @ 100psi. The larger double convoluted ones give 5000lbs @ 100psi. Psi is pounds/sq inch. The more square inches of cross section, the more lift. Not sure what your 200psi 'things' are. Look forward to seeing a picture.

Yup air shocks. Not the right thing for these rigs. Those triangle things that stick down look like a pain too. I can see where your spring stops are wearing on the axle so you definately need something in there. While your at it get some Bilsteins to replace those shocks.

Linda S

Errol,

First thing I'd do is cut those V-shaped pieces of metal off the motorhome. You may need other things like an extra leaf spring on either side but at least you'd have more ground clearance without those metal triangles sticking down. I don't think I've seen those on any other Toyhome.

John

What year is this vehicle?

When sitting on level ground is the inside of the coach floor level??

Is this a floating axle retrofit or original equipment.??

post-4544-0-31735300-1352979795_thumb.jp

One of your photos shows the rear axle about two inches from the rubber bumper. You can see in my photo my axle is about 8-10 inches from the rubber bumper. NOTE - In this photo the bag is not inflated.

You may need some additional spring leafs, and air bags would help.

Here is a link to where I replaced my air bags, a new installation would be similiar except you would need to install the top support. In fact, it may take you less time to install the bags than it did for me to replace them.

AIR BAG REPLACEMENT

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I'm not sure which I would replace first the actual shocks or add airbags.

I think what you need to do first is go to les schwaub and inflate the airshocks. Should raise height a couple inches

Then get airbags. The replace the shocks.

Ok in that one case I would get air bags first because the shocks are actually helping treat the ride height problem and switching to new shocks first is going to lower height even more. Once the air bags are in the shocks won't matter and then replace them with good ones.

• 3 weeks later...

i got the airbags and they help sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!!!!! the thing is lifted more than i could ever need, and there is no scraping at all!!! sorry i never got to reply, i have been busy, thank you guys for your help! i got the firestone ride rite airbags, with a 5000 pound capacity, and had a local craigslist backyard mechanic put them on, i am so glad i did! if you are reading this post as a archive, and your rear is dragging all the time, buy airbags!! you will not regret it

i dont have air bags on rear-end and it does sag enough to scrap the ground on driveways if not hit at a good angel..and im going to get 2 new leaf spings for each side to help on sag

i called two leafspring companys on how to fix and they said the samething air bags are not the right fix adding leaf spring are you best option....and will last alot longer then air bags.....

Yup air shocks. Not the right thing for these rigs. Those triangle things that stick down look like a pain too. I can see where your spring stops are wearing on the axle so you definately need something in there. While your at it get some Bilsteins to replace those shocks.

Linda S

Most of the makes had air bags by 85. I wasn't aware that new horizon didn't. But you'd be wisest putting airbags on regardless. In the event you also need springs figure it out at that point