Honda 1000 watt generator/inverter

Mozeyon2

Hi friends,

Can anyone tell me if the Honda 1000w generator has value in powering my Toyota mini? What can I expect for performance. I have till 6 pm EST to return it. Paid $950. Any help would be appreciated.

The only reason I can think of having a generator is to power an air conditioner and the Honda 1000 won't do it. I have camped with no hook ups many times and if my batteries run a little low I start the engine. 20 minutes at the most and they are all charged up. A solar unit would do the same and it would cost far less than $950. Wouldn't pay that much for a 1000wt unit anyway. Used 2000wt units can be had for 600 to 800 and they will power a small AC unit.

Linda S

it won't run an air conditioner, doubt any air conditioner. electric heaters would be limited to very small. could find small enough microwave to run on it. fine for charging battery, running lights and watching tv. all depends on what you want to run with it. nice quiet unit other than limited output. not sure what the running watts are, i know eu2000 is not 2000 watt constant output.

I have never needed a generator while camping. My battery will run my furnace all night if I turn off the refrigerator ( I have a 120/12 volt compressor unit.) We use minimal lights and a battery powered radio.

Thanks for the input. I returned the unit. I found another Honda at Northern Tools for $1,000. This one, inverter type also--is rated at 2000 watts. I don't have specs on roof ac, but am wondering if anyone might have some thoughts or suggestions for how this one might handle ac and/or general motor home usage requirements. Or, household requirements like a refrigerator? Your comments are always appreciated. Thanks in advance...

The Honda 2000 will run most microwaves and will run the smaller 9000 BTU A/C. It will not run the "standard" 13,500 BTU A/C. It will not run the microwave and A/C at the same time

If your A/C is a 13,500 it won't run it and the smaller one it would be a good ideal to replace the start cap in the compressor. Other then that it should run every thing else just fine including your house hold fridge and a light or two.

i have the eu2000 and it will run my 5000 btu window unit, microwave and ac frig at the same time. it does kick into high power mode at that level. saw a posting here earlier about changing out the capacitor on the air conditioner to make the air conditioner usable. the start up on the compressor is the killer and supposedly the different style capacitor, more efficient i assume, makes starting it with less power posible. maybe someone will chime in here that knows for sure. the converter/charger will be using some power too, i've never checked on mine to see what it uses. maybe an added off/on switch on the converter/charger would be helpful?

the start up on the compressor is the killer and supposedly the different style capacitor, more efficient i assume, makes starting it with less power posible. maybe someone will chime in here that knows for sure.

This is true. I experimented with a hard start capacitor (they temporarily give the compressor motor an extra "kick" on startup) and a delayed condenser fan start. I have a Honda eu2000 and a 13,500btu Carrier AC. The hard start cap made starting the AC much easier on the Honda, however as the ambient temperature went up, from 75F to 85F the cap failed to re-start the AC after it had been running. I added a delayed start timer to the condenser fan circuit which allowed the AC compressor to start by itself. The fan started 5 seconds later. This worked at up to 90F. At 95F my modifications failed altogether, simply too much head pressure to overcome at those temps. The Honda went into overload and kicked the breaker.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input. I returned the unit. I found another Honda at Northern Tools for $1,000. This one, inverter type also--is rated at 2000 watts. I don't have specs on roof ac, but am wondering if anyone might have some thoughts or suggestions for how this one might handle ac and/or general motor home usage requirements. Or, household requirements like a refrigerator? Your comments are always appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Honeywell sells a 2000 watt inverter for $500 or less if you shop around. I've tested it alongside an inverter Honda and it performed just as well. It makes surprisingly clean true sinewave power. Inverter generators are generate DC, not AC and then invert it into an average of 120 volts with a 60 cycle sinewave. Some do it well and some do it lousy. The Honda and the Honeywell (at half the price) make excellent power. The ETQ I tested make awful quality power.

Last summer I was at a northern Michigan Home Depot and they were having a in-parking lot truckload sale on the Honeywells. $399 each. I bought two and now wish I'd bought more. Most of people buying were RVers. Not long after Walmart had a truck-load sale for the same Honeywell 200i for $450 each.