Roof A/C Water issue

I did search on this and couldn't find a clear answer.

We are in Arkansas - its really humid - and the roof a/c is generating a lot of water. It (the water) just seems to sit on my roof - is there supposed to be a drain line/hose or does the water just pool up there.

Cheers,

Also - my roof a/c runs with a cycle (woo-ahh, woo-ahh) such that it makes my generator sound like it is hunting when I run the a/c off the generator. Can I get my roof a/c serviced or is it pretty much a sealed unit that you run until it stops running?

Cheers again.

Edited by dolphindriver

Dolphindriver,

The water is supposed to drain off your roof but many, if not most, Toyota motorhomes have a case of "roof sag" caused by the weight of the AC and generally light construction framing in the roof. As long as your roof doesn't leak, you should be all right. The water will run off when you move the motorhome.

As far as the AC cycling, I would get a qualified AC mechanic (probably at an RV repair place) to look the generator and AC over. The roof top units are definitely serviceable but not all air conditioning places will work on an RV unit.

John

Mine does the same thing, as mentioned, roof sag has caused a low point, thus brings in Lake AC on humid days. I am soon to remove the AC from the roof, and installing an indoor AC/heating unit that has only a 4 inch vent pipe, which will vent out the side wall, and save my roof from the continued weight and eventual need to replace the support wood up top. Good luck!. Gonna put a solid EPDM roof on after removal.

Try this out. Although if your roof dimple is too deep this might not work.

http://www.van-pan-man.com/

I did search on this and couldn't find a clear answer.

We are in Arkansas - its really humid - and the roof a/c is generating a lot of water. It (the water) just seems to sit on my roof - is there supposed to be a drain line/hose or does the water just pool up there.

Cheers,

Also - my roof a/c runs with a cycle (woo-ahh, woo-ahh) such that it makes my generator sound like it is hunting when I run the a/c off the generator. Can I get my roof a/c serviced or is it pretty much a sealed unit that you run until it stops running?

Cheers again.

Since fixing the roof is a big deal in the mean time just get about a 10 foot length of cheesecloth, very cheap stuff, and tie a wrench to the end and throw it up into the lake with the remaining draping down rhe side. It will drain the water off nicely and prevent further damage. Pull it out when your done. it dries very fast

LS

I removed my AC and put in a vent. I may put in a fan tastic vent, sometime. Otherwise, I'd say, go with the AC, that doesn't go on the roof, if possible. There are a lot more options, now, that weren't available, when our Toyhomes were built.

Tudy in Minnesota