Battery tender charges house battery?

84TOYRV

I just got my Toy home back from the farm. It was inside and hooked up to a battery tender. Do I need to charge up my house battery or was that being tended in line? I have the stock charging system, and I don't want to overcharge my new house battery.

Going camping this weekend, with my 4 1/2 yr old grandson. He's really pumped about it and Gramma is, too. Thanx!

Well if you don't have a moniter panel inside and want to make sure just plug in the day before you leave. It will charge it and it's not going to cook in one day. I leave mine plugged in 24/7 and 4 years later my battery is fine. Even when your careful you still need to check the water in the battery from time to time. At least every 6 months.

Linda S

Have fun 4 1/2 is a great age.

I just got my Toy home back from the farm. It was inside and hooked up to a battery tender. Do I need to charge up my house battery or was that being tended in line? I have the stock charging system, and I don't want to overcharge my new house battery.

Going camping this weekend, with my 4 1/2 yr old grandson. He's really pumped about it and Gramma is, too. Thanx!

If you had the tender connected to the truck battery, then the coach battery was probably dead. HOWEVER, Depending on how long the drive was, the coach battery may now be charged up again. :-)

I generally disconnect the coach battery and bring it into the barn. for the winter.

During the summer I leave shore power connected (I have a three stage converter so I don't worry about cooking the battery)

Linda brings up a good point about checking the water level, deep cycling the battery can evaporate water a lot faster than a conventional battery.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

The isolator will not allow the charger to charge the coach battery if it's hooked up to the truck battery. A simple jumper wire with alligator clips to bypass the isolator would do it for long term storage with a battery tender. With the relay type jumper both large posts, with the solid state one jumper posts one and two. The current is small a #14 wire would be sufficient. Don't forget to remove it or you might end up with a dead truck battery when you go camping because it defeats the isolator!

I do have a monitor, next to the coach door. Right inside from the new porch light, that I had just installed. I had blown a fuse and replaced it, but the monitor panel ceased working, except for water pump switch. Bummer!

I wonder what happened, or if the monitor panel has its own fuse? Oh, well. Maybe take it apart and check it out.

Thanx for the help, guys.

Tudy

If your coach battery is totally dead, it may not light up your indicator light on the monitor panel.

This monitor panel quit working last summer, after I put in the new porch light. My house battery was fine, in the spring. I was flushing out the plumbing, when I got it home. All with the battery power, alone. Afterwards I plugged in to make sure it was charged up. Thanx.

the fact it quit when you installed your new light i would review very carefully all the connection involved. maybe somehow lost the ground to the panel? seldom are coincidences really coincidences. good luck.

The isolator will not allow the charger to charge the coach battery if it's hooked up to the truck battery. A simple jumper wire with alligator clips to bypass the isolator would do it for long term storage with a battery tender. With the relay type jumper both large posts, with the solid state one jumper posts one and two. The current is small a #14 wire would be sufficient. Don't forget to remove it or you might end up with a dead truck battery when you go camping because it defeats the isolator!

I made my jumper out of a in-line fuse adapter. Installed a 5 amp fuse. That way the charger will keep the truck battery up and if I FORGET to remove the fuse it just pops when you start the first time.