RV Insurance on classic models

Dollymirage

I am having difficulty finding an insurance company who will provide Comprehensive Liability or Full Coverage on my 1984 Nissan MIrage for the value of $$ that I have put into it for renovation. I am wanting comprehensive in case of theft. Does anyone know of an insurance company that provides this kind of coverage. Also, information on how to make an RV more secure to prevent theft. Unfortunately, I am not able to park my RV in a more secure area like a garage or fenced in yard.

Edited by Dollymirage

Good Article and questions!

My carrier also would not cover more than the kelly value of the rig as manufactured by VIN regardless of what is in it. In fact they were like that with my last car that I had recently put all new leather interior in. So... I put the question to them; well how DO I get some coverage on the new fixins?

They replied that I would need an additional rider and IN that rider they would document the receipts of the extra cost.

Also, my Rig has a Deadbolt in its main rear entry door; and I am not talking the crappy stock lock; this was obviously put in by the former owner and is a "Dexter" brand deadbolt. He simply drilled out the door and put it in; then cut mate hole in the door sill with a dremmel.

The deadbolt is solid. Still this is a car at 6the end of the day; if they want in they are getting in; but not by prying open the back door... nope they must break a window on mine. The best part; a large rather testy German Shepherd will be waiting for them inside.

Hello, a few cheap ways is to install a battery cut off device, this is basically a kill

switch to prevent (or make harder) from starting. A $5 solution is a battery terminal

cut off that just unscrews out of the terminal. Regarding the coach area, there are a

lot of low price motion sensors with their own built in siren device, I saw one at

Walmart for $20.

Dennis...

TAKE THE ROTER OUT OF THE DISTRIBUTER AND PUT THE CAP BACK ON BEEN DOING THIS FOR YEARS HIDE IT IN MY HOUSE . THIS MAKES IT NOT START FOR THOSE WHO ARE IN A BIG HURY.

i did not have a problem getting full insurence fire and theft told GRANGE OUT OF SEATTLE WA PAID 7500 want to cover it four 8000 total loss. this is called an agreed on amount with a 250 deductable. to save money i just keep that only on it in the winter i have a 1987 DOLPHIN 400 then in march i call my agent to activate my full coverage so i can drive it. I start it up every week in the winter. I had the same on my 1978 for 4000

HAVE YOU CHECKED WITH STATE FARM DO THEY COVER YOUR AREA SUPPUSED TO BE THE LARGEST AUTO INS OUTFIT IN THE US

I am having difficulty finding an insurance company who will provide Comprehensive Liability or Full Coverage on my 1984 Nissan MIrage for the value of $ that I have put into it for renovation. I am wanting comprehensive in case of theft. Does anyone know of an insurance company that provides this kind of coverage. Also, information on how to make an RV more secure to prevent theft. Unfortunately, I am not able to park my RV in a more secure area like a garage or fenced in yard.

I can report good things about Geico -- I had a total loss.

• 8 months later...

I was with USAA but they don't cover Rv's so they sent me to Progressive who will insure Toyota motorhomes.

one thing the USAA rep suggested I do was to take out a renters policy on the mh which would cover all your personal property, even the generator if stolen it's covered.

My basic liability policy is about $128.00 per year with progressive. Didn't check price of full coverage. Might be worth a look.

Just realized the original post is old. Insurance info is current.

100K-350K Liability Limit

15K-30K UM (uninsured motorist) absolutely necessary in Los Angeles.

$250 deductible for both comprehensive and collision.

$0 deductible for windshield coverage

up to $1,000 coverage in personal belonging coverage

up to $750 coverage in emergency lodging coverage for breakdown far from home

up to $1,000 coverage to cover fire dept. bills

24-hour roadside service and towing to the nearest authorized repair facility.

$265.80 for the full year.

the vehicle is only covered for the cash value determined by the company.

i keep the classic "club" on the steering wheel and is clearly visible from the outside.

if that doesn't deter them, they're gonna take it anyway unless you remove the rotor like 5toyota.

I'm in NH. That sounds like a good deal. who are the underwriters?

As far as theft deterrent, I wired a toggle switch to the ground wire for the fuel pump relay (carburetor). Should the thieves get it started, it will run a short distance then die. Hopefully in a well populated area. Can't see them hanging around to get it restarted.