Weight Limits for Cabover Bunks

Aeolus

Hi all. Newbie to this site, and as yet haven't purchased a Toyota RV, but wife and I are seriously looking. Since these units are no longer being manufactured I'm having some difficulty locating certain information concerning whether the Toys are a good fit for my rather large body. I'm 6'2", 270 lbs. Wife is around 140 (don't tell her I said that, please). I happened to notice in my search for the right RV that a few Class C units have weight limits of 200 lbs or so in their upper bunks. Some also have beds in the rear, but no Toyotas do. Does anyone know if there are weight limits in the Toy bunks (I'm sure there are) and, if so, what they are.

Also, since I have not physically inspected any Toyotas to date--and I realize that Toyota only supplied the chassis and power plants, and each manufacturer had different standards--I'm concerned with stand-up headroom in the RV itself. Any information would be welcomed. Many of the units I have been considering require a bit of travel to view, and it would be helpful if I could cross certain models or manufactures off my list. Thank you in advance for all your help. :help:

Howdy Aeolus-

I have a Sunrader. I weigh 250 and sleep with no problem in the cab over bunk. I'm 6 foot and have to duck my head somewhat to clear the air cond unit in the ceiling. Don't have much problem in the other areas.

Hope this helps.

funny I was just about to ask this question too...

I would hope that the cabover makers considered at least 400-500lbs being in that space.

I'm 280 and I layed up on mine for a bit... the part the lifts away seemed a little weak to me but I'm willing to buck up for a stronger board to replace it with. The sofa sleeper seemed a little weak too but i think I'm just nervous about the construction sometimes.

Even if they used the lowest possible standards for a couple sleeping up there... I'd sat it could at least handle 350lbs... but this is a guess. I'll see if I can find anything in the mostly useless manual tomorrow.

I am the new owner of a 21 ft REAR BED sunrader.

Find yourself one and lay off the pasta!!!!!

DOH!

Seriously, I've seen some cab overs that had supports that went down to the truck body. I remember they were pretty much just tubes that attached to the corners and then came down and went flat and turned 90 into a tab that fastened under the edge of the hood.

Thanks for all the input, but I think the pasta remark was uncalled for, Mr. Perfect 86Rader. :OffTopic:

I live my life the way I wish, eat what I want, and do as I please--thank you very much.

Now can we stick to the topic at hand, or have you any further

business with my business?

Edited by Aeolus

Thanks for all the input, but I think the pasta remark was uncalled for, Mr. Perfect 86Rader. :OffTopic:

I live my life the way I wish, eat what I want, and do as I please--thank you very much.

Now can we stick to the topic at hand, or have you any further

business with my business?

Easy there fella... 'Rader's justa joshin with ya....

ouch! don't be so sensitive, aeolus. I was just pointing out your error in thinking that rear bed models don't exist, along with a little friendly dietary comic advice. Being 6' and about 225, I could follow that advice, myself.

Most of the rear bed models I have seen are actually rear dinettes which convert to beds. Mine is a full time bed. As to whether a full time bed is more comfy than a dinette that converts, I don't know. I kinda wish I had the dinette option. Maybe I'll do a little modifying.

Anyway, good luck in your search and bon apetit!!!

That's okay, but I'll decide when and if I should be sensitive. Had we communicated previously and we had some level of familiarity, that kind of joshing would probably be acceptable--but it's not a good way to begin a friendship.

There was no error in my thinking. I am aware of the convertible dinette. I just prefer to keep my bed made for crawling into and leaving the dinette as is. I have some plans to modify the cab-over with a special high density, but relatively thin mattress for my comfort. Having to use a convertible dinette precludes me from using the matress I desire. The whole idea in purchasing a Class C motorhome is to utilize the cab-over sleeping quarters. Why would I not? The only reasons I would not are the reasons I posted in question form. If they will hold my weight, there's no reason to consider any other option.

And it's not so much the pasta as it is the meat. I'm a big meat-eater. BBQ, roasts, burgers, chicken--you name it. I'm more muscle than fat--not that it matters. Did body building for many years. For some reason my metabolism handles it--my cholesterol levels are within the healthy range. Granted, I could drop a few pounds, but I'm not a grazer. I walk three miles a day, don't smoke nor drink. Eating is what I like to do, and I eat well. When I die, I'll die well fed and happy. Then someone else can do the world's worrying.

Anyway--no hard feelings. I'm a born and bred New Yorker, second generation Irish, so that should tell you something about my temperment. Quick to fight, but just as quick to make friends. I prefer the latter. I'll try to be less sensitive in the future. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

Nice to meet you Aeolus. 6'2" 270 mostly muscle, quick tempered Irishman, huh? Guess I'll be nice to you then. :)

Where in New York are you?

I agree with you on the eating part. Ya gotta die from something. Might as well be a really good porterhouse. Anyway, back to the original thread topic.

Will a toy C class cabover bunk support a well fed lad and his missus? I honestly don't have a clue. What I do know is that one with any water damage issues at all won't even support itself. Different models use different materials in their construction. Some use plywood, others use crappy particle board or osb or some other material that stands up to water about as well as toilet paper.

Another thing to consider is exterior construction. I am partial to the sunrader because the entire dang thing is 2 pieces of fiberglass. You don't have seams all over the place for water to get in and destroy it. There are window and vent seams that can cause issues, but, I think they are less of a problem.

Whatever you end up getting, make damn sure that this area is sound.

I find the 200 lb limit to be unrealistic. It is a decent sized bunk made for two. And in many models, there isn't another double bed. So, either the designers thought this thing was gonna be used by 9 year olds or midgets exclusively or it is made to hold someone quite a bit bigger. I do believe that any big fellas that do sleep up there, do it while parked. I would think that 270 lbs becomes about a ton for an instant when you hit a big bump.

I guess the thing to do is talk to more folks on this board and elsewhere with way more knowledge on the subject than me.

Another question. I assume that this will be used by just you and the wife? If so, I'd look for a rear kitchen/bath model. It seems to be a better layout for just a couple. We have two kids, so we kinda need the rear bed. If you are bringing along kids or friends or whatever, then I would really look for a rear bed model. Even if it's a dinette, you could still put down your fancy mattress. Just means it wouldn't be a dinette anymore. Personally, I can get by just fine without a dinner table to eat at. Most of your eating is done outside, anyway.

If you are still in the market for one this fall, mine may be for sale. We just bought it. Haven't even brought it home yet, actually. And if we find out that it is just too damn crowded for 4, we'll probably look for something bigger. I want to do a school bus conversion. Trouble is, if I bring home a bus, the wife will probably make me live in it!!!

I wish to apologize for my surly replies. It seems my sense of humor was not functioning as it should. I've checked myself into rehab, and am forcing myself to watch 500 straight hours of I Love Lucy on TV Land.

Not to excuse myself, but I joined a "hunters and shooters" discussion forum that same day, and got myself red-faced over some red-neck comments that had nothing to do with hunting or shooting. I'm a bit of a red-neck myself, but I try to be open-minded about things in general. One should never argue with the insane.

Anyway--sorry guys. I appreciate the fact that you showed patience with my poor attitude. And thanks for all your input on the weight limit thing. My comments afterwards were meant to be those of a teenaged braggart--only to explain that I didn't get fat from just eating--it's that whole thing I used to believe was a wife's tale about when weight lifters stop lifting. I blew out a few discs in my lower back and wasn't able to keep up my usual activity level. Unfortunately, my appetite wasn't affected. I'm workin' on it fellas, believe me. It's tough, though. The older I get, the fewer fun things seem to be available to me. Eating remains near the top, since my wife is such a good cook. :headbonk:

PS 86Rader: I live on Long Island, but only for another month or so. We're moving back to Colorado in June. That's probably where I'll begin looking. I checked Craig's List for the Denver and COlorado Springs areas and there are four or five of differing years and configurations. I'll be sure to put much thought into our choice. We have a college-age daughter, but it will mostly be just we two--and our little Shih-Tzu hitting the RV trail. I'm also doing some research on whether we can pull a large touring motorcycle (800 lbs) behind. That will almost assuredly require the six cylinder model--especially considering the inclines.

Edited by Aeolus

no apologies need, aeolus. we all have days when we misplace our sense of humor.

So, Lon Gisland to colorado. That will be quite a change. And, yeah, if you wanna tow a bike any bigger than a 10 speed behind you, especially in the mountains, you're probably gonna want the v-6. Actually, you might want to look at other models. Toy campers, even the 6 bangers, don't have the beefiest frames/rear bumpers. You are looking at over 1000 lbs once you figure in trailer weight. I'm not sure I'd want to put that kind of a workout on the hitch and whatever it's bolted to.

Lately, I've been checking out a board for school bus conversions. These things are kinda neat. And they are built like tanks. And some get buses with wheel chair lift and keep the lift so they can put their bikes inside where it's nice and dry. They don't get as good a mileage as a toy, but, even the big 40 footers can do better than 10 mpg with their turbodiesels. I would think a shortbus with the cummins 5.9 might get 15. They'll get 20 in a 1 ton dodge pickem'up. And, you could tow an entire showroom full of bikes.

Might be worth looking into. I've even read of a few cases where folks have bought buses, ripped all the seats out and used it to cart all their belonging across country when they move. The cost of moving that much junk is quite a bit more than what they pay for the bus.

What kinda bike do you have? I've thought about getting rid of my old (and heavy) FJ1100 and getting a little dual purpose something or other since it is probably light enough to tow. But then again I enjoy getting my arms stretched out by the big yamaha now and then.

If you are interested, have a look at skoolie.net . It's quite an active board and even if you don't plan on getting a "skoolie", they have a lot of good ideas about RV type stuff in general.

Well, I say get up there and make some whoopi with the Misses and if you find that when its all over and your laying in front of the radiator then there is a problem. I think the BIGG factor here is do not put a ton of cargo up there when your motoring down the road. That weight and the G-Forces of the road can or could be a problem. Sleeping though - well maybe if you have a bunch of wood rot from a water leak. I think most of the toy motorhomes have the overhead bunk lying directly on the cab roof.

Right now I have a 2006 Suzuki C50-T Boulevard Cruiser (805cc, about 530lbs). You're right though about the total weight of the bike and even the most stripped down trailer. From what I've read, going with the six cylinder isn't going to impact performance that much over the four. I think the first thing I should do is find a Toy House and get inside. I'm not even sure it would be a good fit for my physical stature, let alone dragging along a few peripheral toys. The wife and I really need to sit down and discuss exactly what we intend to do with this unit--or any RV--before we make a purchase.

The "Lawn Guyland" is well what we call "up island" from where I live. We're out on the northern extreme of the Island where we're only bothered by tourists in the summer--which is quite enough, thank you. I come from a long line of boat builders and baymen. There's not much else around here but water, and the relatively new infusion of city people who've priven home and land prices out of reach of many working class people.

So, we're practically neighbors. Never have been out to the nice part of the island. Gotta hop the ferry in new london one of these days. Is it any cheaper to take a motorcycle across than a car?

Hopefully you are a homeowner there. You'll be able to sell and buy half of colorado.

I just brought my sunrader home last night. It really wasn't as underpowered as I thought it would be. I just might get me a light trailer and see how well that thing can drag the FJ. If you're bike is just a bit over 500 pounds you may be OK. I've looked into trailers and it looks like a small light one that would do the job is under 200 lbs. You might also consider something different on two wheels. I've been contemplating getting rid of the fj for some sort of dual purpose ride, probably a klr 650. Those things actually make pretty damn good touring bikes. Some folks ride them cross country. I think they go somewhere around 300 lbs, maybe a bit less.

As for your physical stature, yeah, crawling around inside the toy may get a bit of a problem. I got a new knot on my head where I whacked into the A/C control last night. The rest of the coach I get around in OK, but, I am damn near rubbing the ceiling. You've got a coupla inches on me, so, you'd pretty much be crouched over all the time.

Perhaps other models have a little more headroom. I don't know.

Oh, and I don't think the wife is gonna like being refered to as a peripheral toy. :)

• 3 years later...

Okay, since this conversation has anyone had any issues w/ weight in the upper bunk?

Again I have the '91 Dolphin and i'm 6'4" weighing in at roughly 305.

Okay, since this conversation has anyone had any issues w/ weight in the upper bunk?

Again I have the '91 Dolphin and i'm 6'4" weighing in at roughly 305.

I have a 1985 Dolphin with the rear dinette/bunk deal. My wife and I sleep there most of the time and, yes, sometimes it would be nice to have the bed there instead of the dinette for those times when you just want to flop down for a quick nap. Both of us added together weigh about 400 pounds and the overhead bunk supports us just fine on the few times we've slept there. I did, though, rebuild the entire thing because it was rotted through and through. That kind of damage is common in these Toyota motorhomes and it is imperative that you pull the mattress off and really poke around there looking for wrinkled paneling on the bed surface where it meets the side and front walls. Check the walls where they meet the bed surface, too. Your experience as a boat builder should give you a big leg up on finding rot.

On another note, what kind of boat work did you do? I'm a retired shipwright and I worked mostly in Alaska and the Puget Sound area for a little over thirty years doing mostly repair on wood boats except when the occasional juicy new build came up.

John Jamieson

Hi all. Newbie to this site, and as yet haven't purchased a Toyota RV, but wife and I are seriously looking. Since these units are no longer being manufactured I'm having some difficulty locating certain information concerning whether the Toys are a good fit for my rather large body. I'm 6'2", 270 lbs. Wife is around 140 (don't tell her I said that, please). I happened to notice in my search for the right RV that a few Class C units have weight limits of 200 lbs or so in their upper bunks. Some also have beds in the rear, but no Toyotas do. Does anyone know if there are weight limits in the Toy bunks (I'm sure there are) and, if so, what they are.

Also, since I have not physically inspected any Toyotas to date--and I realize that Toyota only supplied the chassis and power plants, and each manufacturer had different standards--I'm concerned with stand-up headroom in the RV itself. Any information would be welcomed. Many of the units I have been considering require a bit of travel to view, and it would be helpful if I could cross certain models or manufactures off my list. Thank you in advance for all your help. :help:

Aeolus,

You should also check out the Toyota motorhomes site on Yahoo. There are files, photos and loads of information on just about any question you might have about Toyhomes. Its a huge site with about 4000 members and is very active! Good luck.

The weakest part of the upper bunk is the removable section. Many are just a piece of plywood with a cushion on top and they sit on a narrow ledge for support. I recently fastened mine in permanently because we don't want or need to crawl through and I bought a new foam mattress that is one huge piece. When I took the covering off my insert I found two V shaped supports running lengthwise with the long side of the platform. After I got the plywood secured I thought how much can those supports help so I leaned into the plywood. It flexed considerably. So I screwed down the supports and no more flex. I check in at about 250 and have no worries about the bunk holding my weight. Just don't do a running and jump stunt entry.

In Sunraders the floor is more of a concern because of their construction. They tend to delaminate and get soft. They were just built too weak and not enough support underneath. A topping of 1/2 inch ply on the top fixes that.

I have a fulltime rearbed Escaper. The rear bed is SHORTER than the bunk due to the "headboard bookcase"

For two people this style is good, it gives you 2 bedrooms. We use TV trays for eating.

being the owner of both an odyssey and a sunrader, i can tell you that a sunrader will pretty much fit inside an odyssey. odysseys have about 4 inches on sunraders when it comes to headroom. they are cavernous. you feel like you are in a domestic c class. they are also a bit wider than the sunrader.

The weakest part of the upper bunk is the removable section. Many are just a piece of plywood with a cushion on top and they sit on a narrow ledge for support. I recently fastened mine in permanently because we don't want or need to crawl through and I bought a new foam mattress that is one huge piece. When I took the covering off my insert I found two V shaped supports running lengthwise with the long side of the platform. After I got the plywood secured I thought how much can those supports help so I leaned into the plywood. It flexed considerably. So I screwed down the supports and no more flex. I check in at about 250 and have no worries about the bunk holding my weight. Just don't do a running and jump stunt entry.

In Sunraders the floor is more of a concern because of their construction. They tend to delaminate and get soft. They were just built too weak and not enough support underneath. A topping of 1/2 inch ply on the top fixes that.

I stripped my 90 sunrader back to the fiberglass up in the bunk area, at least on the bottom. It is rock solid in there, and I have no problem bunking up with my wife. It isn't the roomiest spot on the planet, but I haven't felt it flex a bit.

-andrew

i was kind of surprised to see it being updated.

Yeah it's an old thread. I found it interesting and thought maybe there'd be more people who'd wanna chime in w/infornation on weight limits.

BTW John Jamieson, I don't build boats.:Poster_oops:

And thanks for the responses fella's.:ThumbUp:

BTW, i don't think our friend aelous is still around. note the dates on this thread. i was kind of surprised to see it being updated.

He was last active on Oct 27 2010 03:08 PM

Our present Gulfstream has a sturdy upper bunk but I found when I was working on it that the floor skin is 1/4 inch Luann. When the mattress was out I found that too much weight on a knee when crawling around would cause an indentation, With the mattress in place its not a problem.