Water heater

Hi all!

First day out since shut down for the winter an our water heater has decided not to heat. It runs okay for a minute or so then shuts itself off. We'll do a little

cleaning today and try it again.

But if anyone has any ideas that might work, please let us know. Don't want to have to take Toy Rig to the repair shop to wait in line for a repair if don't need to.

Thanks.

Ron

Toy-Rig

I once had a Scamp camper that had a heater that did that. I found that my LP tank was just about empty and it would cycle off after running for a short time. Have you checked your LP supply?

I once had a Scamp camper that had a heater that did that. I found that my LP tank was just about empty and it would cycle off after running for a short time. Have you checked your LP supply?

Thanks for answering Bob.

We seem to have loads of propane. Furnace works, frig works, stove works. Just the problem water heater. We're going out to clean it with a soft toothbrush (used - lol) to see if that might help.

And make sure it has water in it. Hopefully the cleaning will work.

Suzanne

Toy-Rig

:Poster_oops:It seems the by-pass to the hot water tank was in the off position. Nobody noticed. Oh, well. Getting old is hard to do.

Sue & Ron

Toy Rig

Thanks for answering Bob.

We seem to have loads of propane. Furnace works, frig works, stove works. Just the problem water heater. We're going out to clean it with a soft toothbrush (used - lol) to see if that might help.

And make sure it has water in it. Hopefully the cleaning will work.

Suzanne

Toy-Rig

• 11 months later...

Mine's doing same thing... Runs for 30 to 45 seconds and shuts off. Changed thermocouple, no difference. What's this about a by pass? I believe thank is full, getting no air from spigots. Propane is about 1/3 full. Flame looks good when running, Tried cleaning back in as far as I could reach with a brush before starting. Could regulator be bad? Any help appreciated. By the way, it's a '92 Itasca, with an Atwood heater unit.

• 1 month later...

Just purchased a 1986 Toyota New Horizon (or I should say my Grandmother did) to travel with her friend. Well she is clueless as to how to use the hot water system and how to get it lit as the directions on the flip down door don't make much sense. Can anyone please explain in very non technical terms how to get it lit up? Will the hot water work on electric or just of the propane?

Just about all of the Toy homes are hand lit it also most likely does not have an electric heater unless it was added. The heater has to be in the pilot setting and the pilot button pushed down before the pilot can be lit you need to hold down the button for 30 seconds or so after it’s lit then release it and the flame should stay lit (if not just do it again) then you can turn it to "on" and the system will take care of the rest.

I have a 93 winnie - had similar problem. The quick cutoff mountain man is describing sounds like the thermocouple is not getting enough heat. One way to test for that is to get a bbq lighter & hold the flame on the thermocouple - if the pilot stays on you have an idea (check #1 below)

Possibilities:

1) little line to pilot light needs to be blown out (easy to do) (case with my 1st camper - pilot light flame was small)

2) main jet is clogged - caution, resist temptation to stick something in the orifice, you do not want to damage it. I think the proper procedure is to clean itby soaking it in wood alcohol

3) crap in tube between main jet & where you see the flame (happened to me) cleaned it out by removing it & cleaning it with a rag

4) Thermocouple is acting up

If you just keep relighting it you may find after a while it works better just by letting it flush itself.