1990 V6 or 1984 4Cyl 22R

aprilwms

Newbie here!

We have an opportunity to buy a 1990 V6 18' Sunrader FG-180 Rd OR a 1984 4Cyl 22' FG-210 RKB and can't decide.

$5,000

1990 6 cyl

77,000 mi

well maintained

$3,000

1984 4cyl

33,000 mi

well maintained (new upholstry)

New Catalytic Converter (makes me wonder why it needed new CC with such low miles)

What is the better deal? I have heard there can be problems with the 6cyl engine, but that extra power is enticing. The 18' feels small inside (rear dinette model, no other coach seating. Just me, my husband, child, and small dog. My husband wants the 18' v6 (i know he is thinking surf trips up the coast and small truck is easier) but I am thinking for all us, bigger is better.

Please tell me your thoughts!

Thank you,

April

post-6225-0-51534900-1335218619_thumb.jp

post-6225-0-01953200-1335218764_thumb.jp

post-6225-0-24798200-1335218777_thumb.jp

post-6225-0-67054200-1335218940_thumb.jp

post-6225-0-82385900-1335218950_thumb.jp

post-6225-0-87816400-1335218959_thumb.jp

Edited by Derek up North

without seeing the campers it is hard to give an answer. however assuming that they are what they appear to be I would go for the V6. If the older unit does not have the rear end conversion (to the full floating axle) I would not touch it anyway.

the extra room would be nice IF you have enough engine to pull it around. Never owned a 4 cyl but did test drive one - my assessment is the 4 can do ok in the flatlands but the mountains would be an issue.

I also view the sunraders as being a good setup. Older units with wooden structure (do not know what the FG has) are problematic.

you will get varying opinions on the engines from members here and yes you are correct the V6 is more problematic than the 4 cyl. especially if it hasnt had the headgasket silent recall done. and by now it is way too late to get toyota to foot the bill.

before a big debate erupts here with people defendiing the V6, the 4cyl (22R not L) was produced since 81 until 95, with that said do a search on 3VZE and 22R problems, on the web- not here. some people will tell you it was the demographics of the "type" of people who bought them and that why the headgaskets went due to young people owning them and not taking good care of them (Toyota should hire these very same people to defend the headgasket recall which obviously was there fault or they would blame it on neglect and have never spent a cent fixing them)

many 22Rs have gone well over 300000 and 400000 miles and not too many v6s have gotten close without major upkeep, expenses and maintenance.

thats just my 2 cents, and from what I have read the general consensus across the board when you search the web on these 2 engines.

without seeing the campers it is hard to give an answer. however assuming that they are what they appear to be I would go for the V6. If the older unit does not have the rear end conversion (to the full floating axle) I would not touch it anyway.

the extra room would be nice IF you have enough engine to pull it around. Never owned a 4 cyl but did test drive one - my assessment is the 4 can do ok in the flatlands but the mountains would be an issue.

I also view the sunraders as being a good setup. Older units with wooden structure (do not know what the FG has) are problematic.

The 1984 does have the rear conversion. I am looking into the VIN for the 1990 to see if it was under the recall, or had any work.

The 1984 does have the rear conversion. I am looking into the VIN for the 1990 to see if it was under the recall, or had any work.

it does have the rear conversion, you can tell in the ginormous pic of it. (it blew up WAY big when I clicked on it)

I mean the 18 footer V6 does, you can see 6 lugs on the rear wheel

you will get varying opinions on the engines from members here and yes you are correct the V6 is more problematic than the 4 cyl. especially if it hasnt had the headgasket silent recall done. and by now it is way too late to get toyota to foot the bill.

before a big debate erupts here with people defendiing the V6, the 4cyl (22R not L) was produced since 81 until 95, with that said do a search on 3VZE and 22R problems, on the web- not here. some people will tell you it was the demographics of the "type" of people who bought them and that why the headgaskets went due to young people owning them and not taking good care of them (Toyota should hire these very same people to defend the headgasket recall which obviously was there fault or they would blame it on neglect and have never spent a cent fixing them)

many 22Rs have gone well over 300000 and 400000 miles and not too many v6s have gotten close without major upkeep, expenses and maintenance.

thats just my 2 cents, and from what I have read the general consensus across the board when you search the web on these 2 engines.

Oops, I typoed. I meant the 22R. Anyways, I am leaning toward teh 4cyl (stick) if I can get the hubby on board. For surf trips up the coast, it mostly flat driving. But we do plan a couple snowboarding trips a year and we always see loads of people overheated off the grapevine. With the 22ft 4cyl, running in 1st in high rpms (that is what i am reading you have to do), what kind of speed are we talking? And is it bad on the engine to take it on those kind of mountain trips?

Side note: yes the 1984 had the rear conversion, and the 1990 has the 6 lugnuts (guess that means it did too). Still waiting to find out about the headgasket on the 1990.

Thanks for your help! Who would of though this was such a difficult decision.

~April

New England is not flat. I traveled to VT often with my 4 cyl. This meant a trip through Crawford notch in the White Mountains yeah it's slow but what's your hurry you'll still get there before dark in either one. 60-65 on the highway is not real problem I would not let the ideal of a 4 cyl. be a deal breaker the difference is not that great. 22 series engines usually begin to have a rattly chain some where around 150K but other then that they just run and run. Get the one that fits you'r needs don't worry about the engine.

$5000 for a 90 v6 shorty Sunrader is the craziest cheap deal I have seen in years. Maybe a dozen exist. If you don't like it put it on ebay and make 5 grand profit, easy

Why can't I find deals like this. But on the other hand I can see the black tank is hanging. Need to fix that acap

LS

Newbie here!

We have an oportunity to buy a 1990 V6 18' Sunrader FG-180 Rd OR a 1984 4Cly 22' FG-210 RKB and can't decide.

$5,000

1990 6 cyl

77,000 mi

well maintained

$3,000

1984 4cyl

33,000 mi

well maintained (new upholstry)

New Catalytic Converter (makes me wonder why it needed new CC with such low miles)

What is the better deal? I have heard there can be problems with the 6cyl engine, but that extra power is enticing. The 18' feels small inside (rear dinette model, no other coach seating. Just me, my husband, child, and small dog. My husband wants the 18' v6 (i know he is thinking surf trips up the coast and small truck is easter) but I am thinking for all us, bigger is better.

Please tell me your thoughts!

Thank you,

April

engine is choice is as personal as other decisions. trade durability for power? trade small for larger? used just for sleeping size may not be a biggie. drive them both if you can. personally i would go with the shorty and bigger engine. smaller easier to drive and park, molded fiberglass can be a very good thing, wish mine was :o). nice you have what sounds like to great choices at very good prices.

REALLY??? buy them both sell one and use the remaining cash for your trip. I'm with Linda S on this; I NEVER find money lying on the street like this. $7000 for my 1986 21 foot sunrader with 58k miles i -paid. Death axle was on it too.

Nice looking rigs. Sounds like others are willing to pay as much as double for either... so you prob wouldn't lose any money!

Too bad the 18' doesn't have the 22re. You might look into a full size Class C that has decent power, GVWR, and prob equivalent or even better gas mileage for a full family and all the gear. 22' on a Toyota pickup seems a bit pushing it and almost to defeat the purpose of having a compact truck.

The V6 will be EFI which is nice. Both are stick? I've never been a fan of automatics. Agree with the others that the newer, shorter, more expensive camper is prob the better of the 2.

More surfboards will fit into the 22 footer tho! Might be a good selling point if you're trying to convince your husband on the bigger one.

Thanks for all the great input everyone! It looks like we are going to get the V6. My friend who is selling his 4Cyl may be giving us the "bro deal" at $3,000, so I dont feel good about buying it and selling it (enticing as it is). I will however refer him to this forum when he sells it. We are picking up the 6cyl thursday, fingers crossed he doesnt change his mind between now and then, we sure feel lucky to have found such a great deal!

I'm sure we will be back on here for more Sunrader advice YIPEEEEE!!!!!!! First trip, California to Idaho in May :)

~April