Aluminum framing

ShaggyRV

Hello all:

I am currently searching for a Toyota RV. I like the Sunraders alot. My question is what manufacturers made the framework of the camper area out of materials other than wood? Such as aluminum. I figure if I get one without wood at least future reapirs would be easy. I searched and only found a couple of hits but no comprehensive listing. I'm sure one of the forum gods will chime in.

Thanks

Paul

I own a 1978 Galavan. The shell is fiberglass andthe ribs are all steel. I'm not sure but I suspect any of the fibergass Toys may have steel frames also. Derek and Mainah will know for sure. I'm gutting mine out completely. Makes finding those leaks pretty easy. I'm partial to fiberglass because it doesn't rust or rot. Good Luck.

Yeah I really want a Sunrader because of the fiberglass construction. They are a bit scarce though. If I have to get another type I would like to have one that has aluminum ribs. The totally wooden construction is just too much to rot. The search goes on. Oh and BTW anyone want to sell a Sunrader?

Yeah I really want a Sunrader because of the fiberglass construction. They are a bit scarce though. If I have to get another type I would like to have one that has aluminum ribs. The totally wooden construction is just too much to rot. The search goes on. Oh and BTW anyone want to sell a Sunrader?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Good-Condition-1984-Toyota-Sunrader-Original-Owner-NO-RESERVE-/130678900638?pt=RVs_Campers&hash=item1e6d11c79e#ht_889wt_1165

Thanks for the replies. I am currently keeping an eye on the Sunrader on Ebay. My problem is I can't pick it up right away if I buy it. Anyone on here near St pete Fl and want to store it for me? So incase I can't find a Sunrader I want and go with another brand I would like it to have the Aluminum frame. I am open to other brands though. Especially if they have no rot!!

Edited by ShaggyRV

Our 86 Mini Cruiser 21ft has aluminum framing in the house body,we were very happy to find it,the roof was so bad it would have been a much worse job repairing walls ect if it had been a woody. How ever not all mini cruisers are aluminum and i have no info on which are not,maybe someone with some info on what years or models were or were not. I dont know if you could tell with a metal detector as there is so much metal mouldings,window frames ect that it might be hard to find out. don

No other framing on Sunraders. All the strength comes from the fiberglass. There are wood furring strips, very small and thin, glued to that fiberglass but only so they could install the paneling. Doesn't add support.

LS

I own a 1978 Galavan. The shell is fiberglass andthe ribs are all steel. I'm not sure but I suspect any of the fibergass Toys may have steel frames also. Derek and Mainah will know for sure. I'm gutting mine out completely. Makes finding those leaks pretty easy. I'm partial to fiberglass because it doesn't rust or rot. Good Luck.

Ok so back to my original question. Does anyone have a comprhensive list of the RV's that were made of aluminum vs wood framing? I want a Sunrader and I know what they're made of. But if I can't find one I like and go with another brand I would like to search for models that did not use wood framing.

Thanks

Paul

Hello, if you main concern is with the roof, be sure to check out the

Odyssey models, they have a Steel reinforced "2 Ton Torture Test" roof.

Also, the tallest ceiling hight (6'3") of any other brands.

Reading from the Odyssey brochure, it states that all Odyssey-Americana

models are built with aluminum frame walls, and that aluminum walls were

optional on regular Odyssey models.

Dennis B.

Ok so back to my original question. Does anyone have a comprhensive list of the RV's that were made of aluminum vs wood framing? I want a Sunrader and I know what they're made of. But if I can't find one I like and go with another brand I would like to search for models that did not use wood framing.

Our Gulfstream Conquest uses aluminium framing. And Gulfstream is still in biz.