Propane/Electric Fridge in 1985 Coachman

Greetings

Well, I posted an introduction yesterday and have my first question today. I plugged The Guppy into the 110 to run everything for a while. Luckily the A/C works great. But, the refrigerator does not seem to be working. The freezer is cold after running it for about 90 min, but nothing on the fridge.

Does anyone have any hints, since part of it seems to work? The electric power knob is really hard to turn, so I think my first try will be to take it apart and get it moving freely, but other than that?

Are these things replaceable with new units, or do I have to start scouting around for one?

Thanks in advance.

I'd say wait a bit longer. My freezer cools first, then refrigerator. Give it some more time.

When I go camping, I put in a couple ice packs, to get it cooled down fast. Also, try to have everything, that you put in, cold or frozen. Otherwise, it takes a while to cool down.

84TOYRV

I'd say wait a bit longer. My freezer cools first, then refrigerator. Give it some more time.<br />When I go camping, I put in a couple ice packs, to get it cooled down fast. Also, try to have everything, that you put in, cold or frozen. Otherwise, it takes a while to cool down.

Ours takes a really long time, I thought it didn't work till I left it on by mistake and later discovered it was really cold, turned the thermosat way down. So I never added the fan to it to make it more efficient as it works so well now.

vanman

Well to update. I ran the fridge for about 2 hours, but no cooling except the freezer. Then I ran it on propane and the whole thing cooled in about an hour. I'd say it's just a switch, but then why does the freezer cool down on electricity?

Perplexing.

Make sure the refer is level, put stuff in it and turn on the gas and leave it for 24 hr.

The electric heating element may be producing more heat than the propane flame. Make sure the propane burner is clean, I'll see if I can get a photo of mine tonight. Make sue all the vents are clear. if you have a roof vent, you may want to take it off, look down from the top and make sure nothing is laying down on top of the heat exchanger. ( Check the condition of the top vent cover, if its getting brittle, its time to replace it. I think the universal ones from Camco are about $25.

ALSO - I think mine does a little better on electric than propane.

Put something in the frig. Air isn't able to hold a lot of heat, and is easily heated /cooled. The frig needs something to cool i.e. thermal mass, to pull the heat out of. I usually keep two or three water bottles in the freezer so it has some thermal mass.

From a warm start (say 75 deg), When I turn on the frig and put the warm water bottles in the freezer, it will take a day or two to freeze three bottles of water.

You should always put cold stuff in the frig, don't rely on the frig to cool it down (it will do it, however, it will take awhile compared to the frig in house.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

There is probably nothing wrong with the elec. heater because it does work they don't usually work half way so the 120V heater thermostat is probably your problem. As others have said it is not like your house fridge they are not fast If I know I'm heading out I'll turn mine on the night before. The gas side uses very little gas so that's all ways an option the flame is no bigger then a candle flame.

Hello again

Well, I ran it for 3 hours today and it cooled okay. I wonder if by running it on propane it got the freon (if that's what it uses) or whatever, moving again. Anyway... glad it works, and thanks so much to everyone for the input!

You'll hear from me again!

Johan

No freon, water and ammonia glad it's working for you they are an expensive fix. Maybe you just did not have it on long enough. My biggest problem is getting my wife to shut the door all the way after she gets some thing out!

• 2 months later...

I find that 24 hours on eletric or gas works realy good for me