4x4 Sunrader--all done!

cascadecrud

Totally stripped down and rebuilt--a 2 year project.

New higher roof (I can stand upright!), new windows, glassed-in front windows, new appliances, under the bench AC, solar, cassette toilet...

Thought you might enjoy a few pics of "Pokey."

3 after the rebuild and one from before.

post-3358-0-35076100-1330754850_thumb.jp

post-3358-0-46552000-1330754870_thumb.jp

post-3358-0-84132200-1330755148_thumb.jp

post-3358-0-73677900-1330755162_thumb.jp

Edited by cascadecrud

Hi Cascade

A very nice job you have made of the rebuild, do you have any inside photos to post? in the before photo is that Mount Adams in the back ground? also looks like the Columbia River Gorge in a couple of the other pics?? thanks for sharing Mike

This redo has been much discussed on the toyota campers site and my minitruckcampers site. Lots of pics here

http://www.vanspecialties.com/gallery/yota-4x4.html

Yes awesome job, but do you still have 15 inch wheels in the front and 14 in the back? 15 inch dually wheels are available from this place

http://customcommercialwheel.com/

Only thing an almost perfect rig could use to make the most of your 4wd. If I'm wrong sorry but it looks like that from the pics

LS

Very fine looking machine. I love the colour you picked. I agree with everyone else ...More pictures! exterior and interior.

Thanks for posting

GK

cascadecrud

After going through the pictures at van specialties I cant help but wonder how much money was spend? My guess would be 12-15K . Those new vinyl seat look great and the stainless steel floor pan is awesome. Thanks for posting the link linda s.

GK

• 2 weeks later...

This redo has been much discussed on the toyota campers site and my minitruckcampers site. Lots of pics here

http://www.vanspecia...y/yota-4x4.html

Yes awesome job, but do you still have 15 inch wheels in the front and 14 in the back? 15 inch dually wheels are available from this place

http://customcommercialwheel.com/

Only thing an almost perfect rig could use to make the most of your 4wd. If I'm wrong sorry but it looks like that from the pics

LS

Nope Linda, got 15s up front and some really crappy 15s that are leaking in the back, so I had to put tubes in the rear duals.

But it just so happens I am taking a trek to LA in May and will pay a visit to Custom Commercial Wheel for some new rear 15" duals.

Thanks for the link.

Derek, here is a link to the under-bench AC unit I chose: http://www.dometic.c...uctdataid=92539

Works great and frees up roof space--requires a 3K genny or AC hook up to run.

Mike yep that's Adams and the gorge--Pokey's home turf.

Galvanized Knight--thanks for the compliments. I wish it cost me only 12-15K! Wish I had your skills and the time to put them to use!

Love your chinook btw.

I will get some more pics up soon.

Edited by cascadecrud

So those are custom made 15" rims on a 1-Ton Full Floating rear axle? Why do you consider them 'crappy'? Just the leaking? Who made them?

What size A/C did you chose? Where did you mount it? Have you managed to squeeze in a generator too?

I think so. They are crappy because one wheel is leaking at a weld, I don't trust the quality of the welds on a vehicle as heavy as mine, and on another wheel the center section is slightly off center.

I have no idea who made them--I found a serial number stamped on them that Les Schwab thought was a Toyota serial number, but no luck talking to several Toyota shops finding out their origin.

AC is the 7,000 BTU unit and it's mounted under the left side of the rear sofa (same side and to the rear of the fridge). If I did it again, I would try harder to squeeze in a bigger unit, but we couldn't get the bigger one to fit.

It works great in anything other than 110+ degree desert heat, where it works adequately in keeping temp around 80, especially when used with a fan to move things around.

I mount a genny on a hitch-mounted rack that you can kinda see in the pic (taken when the rig was about 3/4 finished). I only take it along when I know I'll be using AC.

post-3358-0-75341600-1332126377_thumb.jp

Edited by cascadecrud

If they are indeed Toyota rims, AFAIK they never sold 15" for the North American market. The only thing that comes to mind is that someone might have sourced a set of rims for a Toyota Dyna, which appear to have the same BCD and hub hole. But I haven't been able to confirm that. Or even if they're 15".

http://www.cars-directory.net/pics/toyota/dyna/1989/toyota_dyna_2884598.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Toyota_Dyna_Route-van_001.JPG

5 & 6 lug versions.

Cascade: Nice job.. I just wanted to be sure you knew there was a Toy Rally on Vancouver Isl. June 22-24, 2012. Information is in the Rally Section. It's at Living Forest a really lovely spot. We would all (well, I guess I should speak for myself) love to see your Sunrader now that it is finished. Sue

Cascade: Nice job.. I just wanted to be sure you knew there was a Toy Rally on Vancouver Isl. June 22-24, 2012. Information is in the Rally Section. It's at Living Forest a really lovely spot. We would all (well, I guess I should speak for myself) love to see your Sunrader now that it is finished. Sue

Thanks for the info on the rally Sue, I'd love to get up that way, but the my summer is already booked up!

Have a great time, looks like a beautiful spot.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got through checking out the pictures on the VanSpecialties site and must say they did a very clean and professional job rebuilding your toy. :first: I imagine you're pretty pleased with the end result. I like the special touches like the stainless steel shower pan, the really clean paneling and just the overall attention to details like the black trim. That is one monster roof rack too! Obviously some $ was spent on the customization. Everything said, looks like a really fun rig and something you'll get a lot of worry-free use out of. Whatever it costs (60k prob at least if not more) will be all worth it in the end.

Was the shell removed from the rig at any point (maybe to rebuild the notorious weak Sunrader floor)? And is there anyplace on the web where more of the reconstruction was documented other than these pictures? Am always fascinated with the process more than the end result.

Curious of some general specs:

1) Motor & Trans?

2) Weight?

3) Departure angle?

Fun rig!

Thnx for sharing

• 3 months later...

To answer bajadulce:
We started the rebuild from the ground up--I wanted to start with a solid foundation. The shell was not removed but the floor was jacked up to make it flat, additional steel was welded in (full width of RV) to massively reinforce the frame and the floor with new plywood on top was bolted to the frame. It is burly and super solid.
I have pics that document every step of the rebuild--I will post some of them.

1. 22R motor, 5 speed manual tranny, straight axle front end.
2. not sure of weight, I've been meaning to weigh it
3. not sure of departure angle

Update: I've had a great 4 years with this rig, but life circumstances have changed and I have decided to put my beloved Sunrader 4x4 up for sale.
Advertisements to come, both on this site and on expedition portal. Just giving everyone here a heads up.
I will put it on the market for $50K and see what happens. If I can't get something close to that, I'll just keep it.
Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it.
Here's the link to many pics:
http://www.vanspecia...y/yota-4x4.html

Edited by cascadecrud

This rocks! You have skills and pride in what you do! We are all jealous no doubt of your modern updated Toy! I wish you so many happy adventures in you Rader! Are those the windmills on the way to Palm Springs?

My first thought when you mentioned the asking price was you gotta be nuts, but, after looking at the pics.....wow!!!!

I could see the right person with a few bucks kicking around paying that.

Beautiful work.

Are those batteries underneath, just aft of the rear axle? I have always thought that would be a good place to stash them. If I ever do an improved battery bank, that is where they will go.

A question about off roading one of these things, With the toyhouses considerable rear weight bias, I would think that staying with RWD but going to a limited slip or maybe even a locking diff, would make one of these things unstoppable. I believe it would do even better than 4x4 with open diffs. Can a LSD be had in a one ton version? A better soution might even be to go with a SRW domestic one ton limited slip rear. It would handle the weight just fine.

One other thing. This talk of non-roof mounted AC units has me thinking about our dining room AC. It is one the newer ones which rolls around on the floor on castors and has a dryer type flexible exhast hose. Only draws 800 watts. It would stow away perfectly in the shower. Just bring it out at night when it's time for bed. I was wondering if it might even be possible to run (sparingly) off an inverter and battery bank. Lets say 2 deep cycle batteries give you 150 AH. Assuming some loss with the inverter, maybe it would draw 1kW. That could be a little better than an hour and a half of run time. This wouldn't do it in Alabama in july, but, it might work OK in places that need just a little AC to make it comfy.

My first thought when you mentioned the asking price was you gotta be nuts, but, after looking at the pics.....wow!!!!

I could see the right person with a few bucks kicking around paying that.

Beautiful work.

Are those batteries underneath, just aft of the rear axle? I have always thought that would be a good place to stash them. If I ever do an improved battery bank, that is where they will go.

A question about off roading one of these things, With the toyhouses considerable rear weight bias, I would think that staying with RWD but going to a limited slip or maybe even a locking diff, would make one of these things unstoppable. I believe it would do even better than 4x4 with open diffs. Can a LSD be had in a one ton version? A better soution might even be to go with a SRW domestic one ton limited slip rear. It would handle the weight just fine.

I sure hope someone with some money to spend "needs" my Sunrader!

I was definitely thinking about putting an ARB air locker in the rear dif, but with the low range transfer case, I barely ever have trouble even with the open diffs. I just put it in first gear with the transfer case in low and crawl. I often don't even lock the hubs.

• 5 months later...

Well, a few people were interested but no one wanted to buy her at my asking price, so I've taken Pokey off the market and am spending still more money on her with a 3.4 and tranny swap. Now I'll have to keep her forever (unless someone offers me, hmmmm, 1 meeellllion dollars /dr. evil)

You can follow the build here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/toyonlyswaps/261991549848

These guys have been awesome so far, I'll let you all know how it drives in about 8 weeks!

Sounds good. They were just talking about 3.4 swaps on the toyota-campers site but the guy they posted there wasn't interested in swapping out the 4 bangers for the 3.4. Only 3.0 to 3.4. I already posted your guys. Since we keep these rigs long after they were ever expected to last, engine swaps are far more in demand than most motorhomes. Yours is certainly a gem

Linda S

seems like a lot of work, but it's gonna be nice. :)

I'd prob just go get another truck (maybe F250 ) and put your tricked out Sunrader on that. Or even a truck that already has the 3.4L such as the older Tundra or even a newer toyota v8.

You're still going to have a "1980's" truck when this is all done. With something like a F250 you could lose the dualies, have a modern comfortable ride, diesel powered, gain 1+ K in carrying capacity, towing... etc etc . Prob close to the same $ too in the long run as an engine swap.

When it comes to a super customized rig it's got to be about the rig not the money. If you watch those Rv shows on the travel channel people drop millions into them to have them just the way they want them. One couple paid over 50 grand to update a Spartan trailer. There's a company in Florida that redoes the GMC coaches and sells them for 200 grand plus and I heard they have a waiting list of people who want them. Doesn't matter if it's a Sunrader or a vintage Packard. It's a classic

Linda S

seems like a lot of work, but it's gonna be nice. :)

I'd prob just go get another truck (maybe F250 ) and put your tricked out Sunrader on that. Or even a truck that already has the 3.4L such as the older Tundra or even a newer Toyota v8.

You're still going to have a "1980's" truck when this is all done. With something like a F250 you could lose the dualies, have a modern comfortable ride, diesel powered, gain 1+ K in carrying capacity, towing... etc etc . Prob close to the same $ too in the long run as an engine swap.

Yeah more payload/towing capacity would be nice, but then I'd have to drive a Ford!

I just kinda like the 80s Toyota simplicity, with the straight axle front and 1 ton rear and otherwise burly driveline. Every drive feels like an adventure.

It actually goes down the road really smoothly as is, just could use a little more pep. Not out to win any races, just want to go up grades at more than 45 mph and over high mountain passes at over 20 mph!

Plus the AC I'm adding will be nice in the desert.

Believe me, if I hadn't have already put so much into it, I wouldn't be doing this!

cascadecrud - Dang, that thing is sweet!

Can you answer some questions for me please?

1) What is your headliner/ceiling material made out of? Vinyl glued to and wrapped around the edges of 1/8" plywood?

2) Are the black screws holding the ceiling in place regular ol black drywall screws set into finishing washers?

3) I assume the ceiling material is screwed into some 1 X wood that was glued to the fiberglass ceiling, right? Did you use 1 X 2's and what kind of glue did you use to glue the 1 X's to the fiberglass ceiling?

4) Did you repaint the aluminum window frames? If so, what kind of paint did you use and how well has the paint been holding up?

5) If you unroll your window coverings (image 18 here: http://www.vanspecialties.com/gallery/yota-4x4.html) and turn on all the interior lights, can any light be seen from the outside at night around the edges?

6) What vehicle did your front cab seats come out of?

Thanks!

Steve

cascadecrud - Dang, that thing is sweet!

Can you answer some questions for me please?

1) What is your headliner/ceiling material made out of? Vinyl glued to and wrapped around the edges of 1/8" plywood?

2) Are the black screws holding the ceiling in place regular ol black drywall screws set into finishing washers?

3) I assume the ceiling material is screwed into some 1 X wood that was glued to the fiberglass ceiling, right? Did you use 1 X 2's and what kind of glue did you use to glue the 1 X's to the fiberglass ceiling?

4) Did you repaint the aluminum window frames? If so, what kind of paint did you use and how well has the paint been holding up?

5) If you unroll your window coverings (image 18 here: http://www.vanspecialties.com/gallery/yota-4x4.html) and turn on all the interior lights, can any light be seen from the outside at night around the edges?

6) What vehicle did your front cab seats come out of?

Thanks!

Steve

1. Yep vinyl on wood.

2. Not sure on the screws.

3. high quality polyurethane adhesive, can't remember the brand.

4. the window (glass and frames) are new

5. I have never specifically checked, I will let you know.

6. the seats are new vinyl cerullos. I wouldn't necessary go with them again--I might see if used volvo or subaru seats would work, they would be more comfortable. But these are fine and well made.