Inverter

Bigdog

All checks good up front ,altinator isolator posts

Question if the inverter is working while motor is

Running but stops giving as soon as motor is shut down

Is it a sign his battery is bad, and would that keep the 12 v

lights from working even while motor is running

Lights where very dim before going out ?

I'd definitely check the battery. This reeks of a dead battery situation. put a meter on it while under load with just the lights on or in this case not on. If its 12 or below time to pony up and get a new battery; or try the Epsom salt trick on it.

Maybe i am incorrect i have done auto work i always consider the battery the weakest link in the system. take the battery to a trusted shop and checked on a load teast machine i owen a old old one uses a carbon pile restance .battery may and can have volts but under a load test draw test go flat right now one shure way to know

OKI think you are talking about the converter an inverter is some thing else. Theconverter/charger only works when it is plugged in. At this point I wouldremove the truck battery you know it's good and put it in the coach if everything works you know the coach battery is dead or junk. If the lights are stilldim you know there is a connection problem either to the converter or a groundconnection. The battery started the truck so it should have no problem lightingthe lights. You need to be methodical when dealing with electricity especiallylow voltage because of you lose only 10% from a faulty connection it's a big hit at 12 volts. A 10% voltage loss to a fully charged battery is a dead battery.

I am talking about the inverter.

makes sense to me it's the battery. when the motor is running the alternator is supplying the inverter with enough voltage to make it run and operate putting out 120 volts. the coach lights don't run off the inverter so would be effected by it running or not, just the condition of the battery, although should be brighter with the motor running. change out with the truck batter and see what happens, then you will know.

I am talking about the inverter.

If you a talking about the coach lights they are 12 volt and run either from the coach battery or the converter/charger. if you are running some thing 120 volts A/C that is an inverter issue.

are you talking about an inverter or a convertor?

most campers have a convertor that takes 120 volts, powers a battery charger that charges the house battery (and includes a relay that disconnects the house battery while the convertor is getting 120v) and then provides 12vdc to the house items (like lights).

note that the 'converter" is inverting when it steps 120vac to 12vdc. The difference in terminology relates the difference -- an "invertor" typically converts 120vac down to12vdc without a relay to isolate the house battery etc.

your statement that it works with the engine running makes me think that you either have a really dead house battery or a relay that is stuck open - hence with out the engine running no 12v juice is being obtained from the battery

what does the camper do with the shore power cord plugged in?

makes sense to me it's the battery. when the motor is running the alternator is supplying the inverter with enough voltage to make it run and operate putting out 120 volts. the coach lights don't run off the inverter so would be effected by it running or not, just the condition of the battery, although should be brighter with the motor running. change out with the truck batter and see what happens, then you will know.

not the way I understand these systems: when the engine is running 12vdc goes to the house battery which should be powering the 12v items in the cabin (most everything except microwave and 120vac outlets)

When the engine is running the convertor is offline - it is not getting 120vac and does nothing.