Hi Folks--

How difficult to replace the radiator, thermostat, and pull the heads and replace gaskets on an '86 Nissan V6? I assume I'd need a torque wrench to reinstall heads? I've pulled heads on a '73 Ford F 150 before, and a Volvo Pinta (in a boat), but the Nissan looks a lt more complicated, and a much tighter work space. Also, a tranny cooler is present--is that attached to the radiator? Thermo also looks tough to get to....

Thanks!

Nissan v6 is so diferent from the Toyota, I don't think many on this site could give you the kind of technical information you need. Try some of these Nissan forums

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=nissan+d21+forum&psj=1&oq=nissan+d21&aq=1&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=2246l6240l0l9313l10l10l0l2l2l0l187l1202l0.8l8l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=d4aea2a5825eafc1&biw=1280&bih=634

Google page of forums thats deal only with the Nissan Hardbody trucks which is what you have. Buy a Haynes manual first or find a factory service manual. Sometimes you can find them on ebay. Get the compression tested. Pulling a head without knowing where your problem comes from is nuts. It's a v6. Unlikely that both sides are shot. Hard to ask pointed questions to a forum without having done the research first to really know what to ask. I have no separate trannie cooler on mine, just part of the radiator

Linda

Hi Folks--

How difficult to replace the radiator, thermostat, and pull the heads and replace gaskets on an '86 Nissan V6? I assume I'd need a torque wrench to reinstall heads? I've pulled heads on a '73 Ford F 150 before, and a Volvo Pinta (in a boat), but the Nissan looks a lt more complicated, and a much tighter work space. Also, a tranny cooler is present--is that attached to the radiator? Thermo also looks tough to get to....

Thanks!

How difficult to replace the radiator, thermostat, ...

Shouldn't be too hard.

... and pull the heads and replace gaskets on an '86 Nissan V6?

A step up in difficulty. You might want to get expert help with this.

I assume I'd need a torque wrench to reinstall heads?

Yes.

I've pulled heads on a '73 Ford F 150 before, and a Volvo Penta (in a boat), but the Nissan looks a lot more complicated, and a much tighter work space.

I'm going to say more complicated by the overhead cams and way more pollution junk in the way.

Also, a tranny cooler is present--is that attached to the radiator? Thermo also looks tough to get to....

From the Factory, the lower portion of the coolant radiator also cools the ATF. You might also have another external cooler.

I'll second that you invest in a Chilton's (my preference) and/or Haynes repair manual. Th FSM is always nice too!

I'll also second getting a compression test done. Also, a 'Leak Down Test' will tell you even more.

FOR me i agre with LINDA I never owened a nissian or toyota 6 Had 7 toyotas all 4 cyl i would offer no advice on a toyota six. Even.