1988 Toyota Winnebago Vin Number Location Arrrrrg!

La Tortuga Vieja

Howdy Toyota lovers! I am new to this site not to my 1988 Toyota Winnebago. I have a question if anyone can tell me whether or not there is more then just one vin on the chassis of the truck. I need two for California DMV to "verify" the vehicle. One number starting with "JT" (the number I need to verify) is visible through the windshield on the dash but I can't find another------I hope someone knows the second location! Thank you for your help----and I am excited to be a member of this site----as my life very much revolves around my camper!

I like your screen name :)

Does the DMV need some #'s from the coach portion or just another "JT.." chassis #? As Derek mentions, there are a few various locations where "additional" #'s may be (not necessarily identical in the case of different hood, doors, fenders, etc with newer years (white bar codes etc)). However, the # you are interested in, as well as the DMV, is stamped in the frame in the front wheel well area. In most cases, the FRAME # takes precedence over any other # on your vehicle as far as the DMV goes. You may have to move some of the splash guards out of the way. That # on the frame should match the number on your dash.

"Serial Number" for coach may be on some plaque on the coach. I think there's a standard black oval emblem that RV manufacturer's use. Might look for that.

Winnie the Winnebago Goes To Mexico

Here's an entertaining incident from a fun travel book/site called the "Peoples Guide to Mexico". This particular excerpt involved multiple Vins in a Winnebago and crossing the border!

I guess vins can be a big deal in some instances. :)

Well it's DMV who verifies the vehicle and they know where to look. . If they can't find the other vin because someone made modifications and removed it they just send you to CHP and they will give you a vin verification to take back to DMV. it's not a big deal. I had to go the CHP route with a Canadian vehicle.

Linda S

Howdy Toyota lovers! I am new to this site not to my 1988 Toyota Winnebago. I have a question if anyone can tell me whether or not there is more then just one vin on the chassis of the truck. I need two for California DMV to "verify" the vehicle. One number starting with "JT" (the number I need to verify) is visible through the windshield on the dash but I can't find another------I hope someone knows the second location! Thank you for your help----and I am excited to be a member of this site----as my life very much revolves around my camper!

There should be a plate or sticker (depending on year) either under the hood or on the door jam. There are pictures of what they look like on this site:-

http://www.brian894x...osanddiffs.html

Hope the numbers match!! :ThumbUp:

Hey thanks----unfortunately it is not there! have a good one!

I like your screen name :)

Does the DMV need some #'s from the coach portion or just another "JT.." chassis #? As Derek mentions, there are a few various locations where "additional" #'s may be (not necessarily identical in the case of different hood, doors, fenders, etc with newer years (white bar codes etc)). However, the # you are interested in, as well as the DMV, is stamped in the frame in the front wheel well area. In most cases, the FRAME # takes precedence over any other # on your vehicle as far as the DMV goes. You may have to move some of the splash guards out of the way. That # on the frame should match the number on your dash.

"Serial Number" for coach may be on some plaque on the coach. I think there's a standard black oval emblem that RV manufacturer's use. Might look for that.

Winnie the Winnebago Goes To Mexico

Here's an entertaining incident from a fun travel book/site called the "Peoples Guide to Mexico". This particular excerpt involved multiple Vins in a Winnebago and crossing the border!

I guess vins can be a big deal in some instances. :)

Hola Baja Dulce y gracias para la infomacion!!!

I went running out of Starbucks to see if I could locate the number under the wheel well and there is a number that matches the frame--only part of the JT number but they match!! Hopefully that is enough for the pesky DMV!

I know the peoples guide to Mexico very well----love it! La Tortuga Vieja has been down all of Baja and the west coast of Mexico to my favorite Mexican state of Oaxaca. I am also a fan of the Mexican camping book by Mike and Terri Church----fantastic---and I got it autographed in San Miguel de allende by the authors themselves. This is my first time using a forum for advice and Woooozer, I'm an aficianado!

thanks!

Well it's DMV who verifies the vehicle and they know where to look. . If they can't find the other vin because someone made modifications and removed it they just send you to CHP and they will give you a vin verification to take back to DMV. it's not a big deal. I had to go the CHP route with a Canadian vehicle.

Linda S

Hey---thanks for the advice----I wish it wasn't a big deal but the DMV sent me to the chp----they made an appointment for me a week later----then when I came they said they can't verify campers at that particular locale---so the referred me to another office that doesn't have an appointment for two weeks! I am stuck in bureaucratic nightmare! But I think I found enough with the number of the frame that partly matches the JT #

thanks

Paul

I'm in Santa Clara county, San Jose. I just drove over there and they did it right away. I can't imagine other offices being busier than here. Waiting for a call from my daughter who works at DMV to call and tell me where you should go. Finding a partial number won't do it. Where are you located?

Linda S

Hey---thanks for the advice----I wish it wasn't a big deal but the DMV sent me to the chp----they made an appointment for me a week later----then when I came they said they can't verify campers at that particular locale---so the referred me to another office that doesn't have an appointment for two weeks! I am stuck in bureaucratic nightmare! But I think I found enough with the number of the frame that partly matches the JT #

thanks

Paul

Checked your profile and looks like your near the Mexican border. Yes it is busier down there than here. Also daughter says a special check area where they are more careul than other places in Cal because of the border. She says 2 weeks is good time down there for CHP appointment. She never heard of CHP offices that do vin checks but not campers. There is no vin in the camper part only the cab so what is their excuse

Linda S

I'm in Santa Clara county, San Jose. I just drove over there and they did it right away. I can't imagine other offices being busier than here. Waiting for a call from my daughter who works at DMV to call and tell me where you should go. Finding a partial number won't do it. Where are you located?

Linda S

La Tortuga Vieja

I have wondered about this since we got ours, no trbl re-registering at Ca DMV, but like many of the Toys I've looked at the black vin# plate on the dash(drivers side) is blank, ours has a series of the name toyota striped accross it, nothing more. The only place I could find was the sticker behind the drivers seat on the RV put by National RV with all the data. Didn't know about the wheel well, will check .

vanman

I agree with vanman. My rides 10 years older than yours. I have no vin on the dash. I finally found the vin applied by the mfg. behind the drivers side lap belt. You have to move the belt aside to find the plate. It is attached to the coach not thr truck body. Hope this helps. fred

Anyone here with an '88 who can confirm if the VIN is marked on a plate under the hood? I don't know if the change of location to a sticker on the door jam happened with the V6 or not.

I'm pretty sure that since 1968(?) it's been a legal (Federal?) requirement that all North American vehicles have the VIN marked on the dash (driver's side, bottom corner). Is it possible that the dash has been removed and replaced in a position that obscures the number? Or the windshield with an opening in the blacked out perimeter wrongly located?

"10751. (a) No person shall knowingly buy, sell, offer for sale,

receive, or have in his or her possession, any vehicle, or component

part thereof, from which any serial or identification number,

including, but not limited to, any number used for registration

purposes, that is affixed by the manufacturer to the vehicle or

component part, in whatever manner deemed proper by the manufacturer,

has been removed, defaced, altered, or destroyed, unless the vehicle

or component part has attached thereto an identification number

assigned or approved by the department in lieu of the manufacturer's

number."

http://forums.office...p/t-130658.html

"The VIN can be found on the dash in the lower left corner of the windshield immediately in front of the driver's seat."

http://www.nj.gov/mv...U30_Revised.pdf

post-3557-0-55556300-1327507701_thumb.jp

post-3557-0-14448300-1327507928_thumb.jp

do not have the dolphin at the house but my 1988 4wd xtra cab 22re trans type w56 5 speed has the metal vin plate on the firewall. and The dash vin on the dash. I also havea wash state sticker That states my truck is a salvege vecle as it was stolon in its past life. and bought by my dealer as an inserance recovery salvege truck the Dealer told ME right up front. as the truck was never wrecked i did not care. it has served me well for ten years. HE specialed in used toyota 4wd. IT also states that REMOVING THE SALVAGE STICKER IS A CLASS C FLEN EY. THE TITLE IS ALSO BRANDED SALVEG BUT DOES NOT MATTER TO ME.

lAW enforcement wants too be able too read that vin through the window in a wreck that can be important we have people here that switch plates and auto theft is high. they dont look under your hood parked . and no the old cars did not have dash vin plates.

Arrrg! is right. You have my sympathy, Tortuga. I lived in CA in the 80's and got so frustrated with the CA DMV that I drove 1500 miles one way to register my camper in South Dakota. I used my parents address. The whole thing took 10 minutes including taking off the CA plates and installing SD plates. And the cost was less than 1/3 of CA fees. We drove around CA for seven years after that with SD plates...and never had to submit to a smog inspection or wait in a line.

Not that I'm recommending you do anything like that.

I have a 93 winnie warrior which has a blank plate on the dash - most winnie/itasca have the toyota mfg plate there. The plate appears to have a toyota hologram on it. A winnie sticker on the driver's door (just below window) has the VIN. I recall checking the frame for the same number. Note that previous discussion referenced the JT which when decoded means Japan.

Most winnie's have the VIN but apparently they accepted some chassis's that were originally meant for other finishing mfg - where the other guys would add their own VIN as part of their process.

If you google "vin decoding" you will find numerous sites offering the service.

Anyone here with an '88 who can confirm if the VIN is marked on a plate under the hood? I don't know if the change of location to a sticker on the door jam happened with the V6 or not.

I'm pretty sure that since 1968(?) it's been a legal (Federal?) requirement that all North American vehicles have the VIN marked on the dash (driver's side, bottom corner). Is it possible that the dash has been removed and replaced in a position that obscures the number? Or the windshield with an opening in the blacked out perimeter wrongly located?

"10751. (a) No person shall knowingly buy, sell, offer for sale,

receive, or have in his or her possession, any vehicle, or component

part thereof, from which any serial or identification number,

including, but not limited to, any number used for registration

purposes, that is affixed by the manufacturer to the vehicle or

component part, in whatever manner deemed proper by the manufacturer,

has been removed, defaced, altered, or destroyed, unless the vehicle

or component part has attached thereto an identification number

assigned or approved by the department in lieu of the manufacturer's

number."

http://forums.office...p/t-130658.html

"The VIN can be found on the dash in the lower left corner of the windshield immediately in front of the driver's seat."

http://www.nj.gov/mv...U30_Revised.pdf