How To - Block off air vents

Probably every vehicle produced in the last 30 years has these in some form or another. Todays vehicles are so air tight, these vents provide a positive air exhaust of the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

Unfortunately, the way the MH is mounted on the truck chassis, and the exterior location of the vents (Top just behind the window frame of the door), these act more like air intakes, rather than air exhaust. The problem is compounded when there are crosswinds (air blowing from the sides).

post-4544-0-62355500-1326041026_thumb.jp

On our Califorina trip over Christmas, we found that we were traveling down the road with the outside temperature at 10-15 degrees. These vents were allowing air to come in, and the stronger the winds from the side of the Toyhouse, the more cold air they let in. With a strong crosswind, there was so much air coming in these vents, I thought we had a window open.

post-4544-0-00598900-1326041025_thumb.jp

An interim fix was to cover them with Duct Tape - WOW - What a difference, we actually had heat in the truck.

post-4544-0-00478600-1326041028_thumb.jp

A more permanent solution was to make a couple small plastic covers (1/8 inch plastic) and screw them over the vents.

During the summer when it was 95 degrees outside, these same air leaks probably kept the A/C from cooling the cab of the truck. We'll see what happens this summer.

NOTE - After we duct taped the vents, we also discovered air leaks under the drivers and passenger doors (Between the door and the cover) When it gets a little warmer, I'll take the door apart and see why its leaking so much air.

I just the removed the vents cover on the outside. Taped on some heavy plastic and then reinstalled the covers.

I supposed you could remove things from the inside and use contact spray cement and cover the entire pillar with matching vinyl.

WME

Magnetic sign plastic cut to size. Some thing you can take off in the spring when you need the air flow.

Hey--Home Depot and Lowes sells magnetic covers cut to fit hot air vents on home heaters. We use them on the outside to cover the air intakes in front of the windshield when we are parked for a long time in one spot. No reason they wouldn't work on the air vents inside the cab as well.

85 Mirage;

Mine also - When it gets warmer I'll pull the door panels off and see whats going on. I did look at the rubber door seal and it looks OK. I suspect that the door has drain holes in the bottom, and this is where the air is coming in. The door panel should have a heavy plastic sheet on it, but these are often removed or torn the first time someone has the door panel off. I bet if I resplace the plastic and then make sure its secured that should stop the door leaks.

I'll keep you posted on what I find.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Even if the plastic is intact, there will be holes in it. The door latch, window crank, arm rest. Look at Lowes for the foam seals you in your house around AC outlets.

I suspect that the door has drain holes in the bottom, and this is where the air is coming in.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I sure hope you're not thinking of blocking the drain holes. A sure recipe for rusted out door bottoms! You need the drains to let the water out and some air circulation to dry things out.

BTW, my permanent fix probably would have been white duct tape! :ThumbUp:

I sure hope you're not thinking of blocking the drain holes. A sure recipe for rusted out door bottoms! You need the drains to let the water out and some air circulation to dry things out.

BTW, my permanent fix probably would have been white duct tape! :ThumbUp:

I am glad you started this post. A couple of weeks ago, I drove my "new" Sunrader Adventure from So. CA to WA and cold air blew through both the vents and the door handles. It was not so obvious in warm So CA, but very chilly in the mountains. I covered the vents and put a blanket up against the door. I would like to see pictures of what you find when you take the door apart and how you solve this. Also, I must have a disconnected heater hose as cold air blew from the passenger side heater when if was on Fresh Air and stopped with on Recirc Air.

Derek; I agree, do not cover the drains. I'm betting money that when they installed the aftermarket radio and speakers at National, the plastic is completely gone from the inside of the door.

Also, I must have a disconnected heater hose as cold air blew from the passenger side heater when if was on Fresh Air and stopped with on Recirc Air.

HHUUUMMMM - My wife said something like that, but that was before we duct taped the vents, and put a towel on the bottom of the door.

When I put the heater on "blow air on the floor and the vents", or "blow air on the floor and the windshield", she said that was much better.

I'll look into the cold air blend and see if I can see anything obvious.

In the meantime, the door panels on the drivers and passenger door are next on the "Plug Cold Air Leaks list"

(Ironically, when I run the WAVE 3 heater, I no longer worry about opening a window for fresh air, there are so many air leaks in the Toyhouse, I may as well have screen doors.)

OH YAH - when sitting at the table, we also noticed that cold air blows in at the bottom of the coach windows, When I had the kitchen window out to reseal it, I noticed it was not sealed at the bottom, only the sides and top. When I look at the two big windows from outside, neither of them are sealed at the bottom. Another project for spring.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

i use 3 m yellow super wether strip glue too glue on a new sheet of plastic and they do need to be there also keep water off door panels and seal out drafts

Brrrrrr... that sounds cold! I'm such a wuss and probably would just die if had to drive in those temperatures with cold air blowing in. I'd just stay in bed longer and wait for it to heat up outside to at least 50 degrees haha! Tho that might be more like 3 month hibernation.

Modification looks good John. I thought the shell was attached to the cab on most RVs and those vents were covered anyways?

I like Terry's idea to cover the hole under the cover on the outside of the vehicle and then replace the cover. Can you even get a screwdriver or whatever is needed to pop those covers with the RV coach in the way? Can't really picture their location right now.

Doors sound like a little more of a challenge. Good luck.

Ironically, when I run the WAVE 3 heater, I no longer worry about opening a window for fresh air, there are so many air leaks in the Toyhouse, I may as well have screen doors
:)

I was afraid to pop the external plastic pieces. 25 year old plastic exposed to the sun normally doesn't fair well.

Anyway, I also have some concern about the cabover area. If anyone has any photos of what the top of the truck cab looks like without a cabover, I would love to see those.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 2 months later...

I took the door panels off today to see if I could find out where the cold air was leaking in from the door.

The original speakers were just clamped to the door cover, not the metal itself. so this left a huge hole for air to get by.

All the plastic clips are intact, but most were not engaged. The hole that was cut for the speaker was the source of all the cold air. I added some 6 mil plastic that I had to seal the big hole. The I also replaced the speakers. The new ones were slightly larger, when I screwed them into the metal door, that also helped seal the big hole .

This should help for both cold and hot ait entering into the cab under the door panel.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-39568600-1332005152_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-73657200-1332005153_thumb.jp

My 87 also blows outside air into the cab by way of the inside door release handles. In cold weather I stuff kleenex there to stop the draft, but it is temporary because every time I open the door to get out the kleenex falls to the floor.

• 5 weeks later...

John: Thanks for posting pictures of the inside door panels---that was very helpful. I lifted up my door panels and found vertical slits in the plastic on both doors. It looked like someone had put a straight-edge tool down the door from the window to release the latch on a locked door. It must not have worked since they did it to both doors. The parallel vertical slits were in the same place on both sides and hard to see. Also, the plastic had separated from the sealer along the bottom edge in a couple of places. I used clear packing tape to seal the holes and along the edges. If you find out why the air flow system blows cold air when it is supposed to blow warm or hot air on some heat/air adjustments, please post the information. Fortunately, that is adjustable so not so critical. Sue