Hidden brake light switch

McShank

Sometimes my brake lights stay on after use, and I only noticed because it got dark. Now they are going on and off while I'm driving down the road. Sounds like a bad switch. To replace it the Toyota manual says "disconnect switch - unbolt - remove". My problem is I thought the switch would be attached to the brake pedal and in plain view but nothing jumps out at me. Can anyone give me directions to find this should-be-easy-to-change switch?

Seamus McShank

Once you find it, you might be able to give it a few squirts of WD40 to loosen it up. It sounds like either its sticking, or needs a slight adjustment.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

John Mc,

Standing on my head is an accurate description. I found the switch but it looks like I have a different problem. There are two push on connectors with brightly colored wiring that look like non factory wiring. My brake lights are add ons like you see on small trailers and are attached above the factory tail lights. To confuse matters more, both wires look to be severed cleanly and are attached to nothing. No lights at all now. Didn't have time to find the other ends or figure what caused them to be cut, but will dive back in this weekend. Not many things up there that move and could have pinched the wiring, emergency brake lever and steering column, should be easy. There is never a shortage little electrical puzzles.

Seamus McShank

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is solved, though not understood. The switch was not bad, more out of adjustment. I turned the threads so there was more clearance between the trigger pin and the brake pedal and that did the trick. I used the "what works" approach to the two severed wires that did not look like stock wiring, and without tracing the origin tried to reconnect them one-at-a-time and discovered that everything works with one of them feeding the switch. Didn't do anything with the second severed wire. There is quite a pile of mystery wiring running everywhere under the dash that's not stock, and the emergency brake had severed that feed wire where it was snaked around and into the engine compartment. A few days of heat pads and neck message got rid of the pain I got from standing on my head under the dash.

Seamus

... A few days of heat pads and neck message got rid of the pain I got from standing on my head under the dash....

I'm getting to old for this :-)

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I'm getting to old for this :-)

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

No you're not! Next time, pull the drivers seat out. 4 bolts and ahhhhh, comfort!

But of course you have to be able to comprehend upside down.

Just went through a similar issue with the brake lights. What I unlimately found is that there is supposed to be a small plastic pad on the brake lever that is attached by snap pin. (similar to the plastic panel fasteners on many cars)

In my case the pad broke and fell down on top of the air duct. So now the button was 1) further away from the lever and 2) there was a hole in the brake lever that almost perfectly lined up with the button on the switch. I found the pad and broken off pin after removing the air duct so I could see better.

I never did find a replacement pad, but made my own with a panel fastener and a couple small washers to space it at the same thickness as the original pad.

But of course you have to be able to comprehend upside down.

Pilots, we operate in three dimensions, and I love upside down :ThumbUp::hyper:

(this could explain a lot)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto