Over cab Idea (please help)

The prob - the bed area always looks messy, the origanal cusions are like bricks, and the bed is to narow for 2 adults (feels like a coffin :lips-sealed: ) to open up the overhead for travel just to much hassel ( where do you put your bedding?)

My first fix was to install a 80 X 50 high dens. foam over the cusions (better, more comfortable, but don't roll off, the floor is a long way down :mellow: .

My idea (and please pick it apart and improve!) remove the factory cusions, install a 3/4 plywood 78"X50" with a 2" edge on the outside edge ( to help from rolling off) , piano hinged midpoint, open to a right angle attached at the ceiling, leaving the overhead vent and side windows open, and creating a storage area behind the closed bed for the bedding out of sight

this would make a slightly larger bed, and when closed leave more room inside camper, making it easyer for the passenger to move about when driving, possibly install a thin flat screen under the bed in the open area. When the bed is stowed for the day, the flat screen would be in a great viewing area.

thinking about lift struts to ease opening, and to hold open.

Ideas PLEASE :help:

Thoughts:

- To use your idea, the mattress is going to have to be folded in the middle to 90 degrees. Since they're designed to fold, a Futon mattress? A standard double size is 54"x75".

http://www.webfuton.com/basics/futonmatsizes.shtml

- You'll have to assess if a 54" wide platform is possible. And decide if a Futon mattress will be comfortable enough to sleep on. (I've never slept on one, so can't comment.)

http://www.webfuton.com/beds/b_mattresses.shtml

I had a camper that had the cab-over with a hinged plywood section and a 2 piece mattress. They put a door in the hinged section so that you could store stuff with out dropping down the extension.

Depend on how much head room you have and how much bigger you want the bed. You could move the hinge line so that part of the walk trough opening wouls be usable with the extension up.

I take it there are no obstructions for such an extension (bathroom or front door?). If not, I think a hinged extension is a great idea, but you should only just need that. Don't quite understand why you need such a big piece of plywood to cover the remaining bed if your new extension rests flush with the existing bunk.

The door in the extension is a good idea as reaching 70+ inches to retrieve something (extension down) might be hard to do without having to climb into the bed.

I would not recommend a futon mattress unless you have a V12 30' motorhome. They weigh close to 100#'s. A decent mattress topper such as the one you describe should help with any 2 cushion design.

I like WME's idea to move the hinge point a bit further back as this will provide some cantilever support as well. This of course means in the upright position, you'll have slightly less storage space and the extension is no longer flush with the existing bunk. You'll need to add some additional material behind the hinged extension to meet your new elevation. *some thoughts below.

I don't like the idea of supporting the extension via the ceiling for several reasons. The first being you'll need to secure it with some kind of eyebolt which means you'll be drilling a hole in your roof! The second is that it will have to be VERY strong. While there certainly isn't any problem supporting your toes while you're sleeping, you still need to climb in and out of the bed. This will take the brunt of the load! Better might be a few legs OR some kind of triangular support. Many fold up tables in shops use triangular supports that are hinged. They just swing out when needed.

I made an extension for my Mom's Ixtasa in that it simply just slid under the bed mattress. I only used 1/2 inch plywood so it would be plenty light and manageable. The difference in grade was insignificant, but one could use some rigid foam insulation topped with a piece of FRP or laun to match the plywood. Think lightweight composite construction! In my mom's case, the extension did NOT extend the entire width of the bed for 2 reasons. The first being it would interfere with the door and the second being that the extension was not meant to support climbing in and out of bed. It was only meant to allow sleeping @ 90 degrees to the factory design by providing some additional space for feet (which doesn't require much support at all). The bed was now plenty wide despite not being the full bunk width, but still requires climbing over one another to enter-exit. The Ixtasa has plenty of headroom tho unlike the sunrader for instance and this isn't too much of an issue. For a sunrader and other low ceiling bunks, one might sleep more comfortable with the head towards the cabin and feet towards the front of vehicle. In this scenario, it would be best to beef up the extension as much more support will be needed.

.... I could ramble on and on about stuff like this, but I'll spare ya!

Don't know nuthin' about what a typical futon mattress weighs or what it's made of. I just went to the IKEA website and clicked of the first listing they had for a double and this is what popped up:-

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10102060

36lb. I've no idea if this is what a 'futon mattress' is or if it's just a 'foam mattress'.

The prob - the bed area always looks messy, the origanal cusions are like bricks, and the bed is to narow for 2 adults (feels like a coffin :lips-sealed: ) to open up the overhead for travel just to much hassel ( where do you put your bedding?)

My first fix was to install a 80 X 50 high dens. foam over the cusions (better, more comfortable, but don't roll off, the floor is a long way down :mellow: .

My idea (and please pick it apart and improve!) remove the factory cusions, install a 3/4 plywood 78"X50" with a 2" edge on the outside edge ( to help from rolling off) , piano hinged midpoint, open to a right angle attached at the ceiling, leaving the overhead vent and side windows open, and creating a storage area behind the closed bed for the bedding out of sight

this would make a slightly larger bed, and when closed leave more room inside camper, making it easyer for the passenger to move about when driving, possibly install a thin flat screen under the bed in the open area. When the bed is stowed for the day, the flat screen would be in a great viewing area.

thinking about lift struts to ease opening, and to hold open.

Ideas PLEASE :help:

Foam only lives about 15 years if its good foam. It sounds though that someone already swapped out your original foam..

As far as always looking messy you lost me there. Overhead bunks are a great place to carry extra cargo while moving. I keep a bunch of stuff there while travelling. And then just move it to the front seats or elsewhere when I get ready to snooze out. My wife sleeps on the couch and I the cabover. So her bedding gets layed down flat over mine during the day etc.

I replaced my foam with new. I fastened the section that pulls out because we never use that as a walk through. Were old and I don't think anyone uses those holes anyhow. The original owner had a drop down edge that converted the full size to queen. I am going to reinstall that one day. I think there is a fine line regarding modifications. If it looks good and really works then its good. But there is also what ends up looking like the handyman job after a 12 pack and it works like its had a 12 pack.

up:-http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/1010206036lb. I've no idea if this is what a 'futon mattress' is or if it's just a 'foam mattress'.
I must be getting old. Didn't know about this new type of mattress. I've only seen the stuffed kind and they definitely get more than 60#'s at least. That type of mattress would work well for someone in a Chinook that needed a sofa/bed.
I fastened the section that pulls out because we never use that as a walk through. Were old and I don't think anyone uses those holes anyhow.
Those pass-throughs are fantastic for throwing stuff up front and retrieving stuff arms reach from the back as well. I agree, they're not very useful tho for passing through and the sectional cushions that result from having a removable piece definitely isn't worth it! Permanently fastening your pull out section is a good idea. A good "reach through" is all you need. :)
I think there is a fine line regarding modifications. If it looks good and really works then its good. But there is also what ends up looking like the handyman job after a 12 pack and it works like its had a 12 pack.
That's a good point. Myself, I probably fall somewhere in between.... maybe a 6 pak! :)

• 1 year later...

AS far as messy the dolphions came with draps that close off the top bunk. ours 87still has them. AS i am not a tall person i find advantages to that at times. I sleep in the top on a piece of good foam on those cusions and i never have too worry about my foot room and my wife sleeps on the couch. the top bunk is a good deal larger than my 1978 was also have thick deluxe six and half pound sleeping bags

After redoing the framing and paneling over the cab, I built up the floor upstairs, and placed a regular, quality single matteress there. It gave room for a TV, stand, and DVD player, and a small chest of drawers. I travel alone with my cat, so not right for those that have others sleeping with them, and dont know if one can shoehorn a double up there or not. Here's a couple pics of mine.

post-5603-0-80803900-1339073320_thumb.jppost-5603-0-55349000-1339074024_thumb.jppost-5603-0-77356100-1339074047_thumb.jp

Good Luck, and PEACE!

I have used a queen sized Travasak for years, on my loft. Works like sleeping bag but with removable sheets. The outside has a warm side & cool side. Flip it over for a change of weather. Love it and it looks real nice zipped up.

My Toy loft mattress was never slept on before, so it was in great shape. Very firm. I am by myself, so lotza room. :)

Tudy

• 1 month later...

I like the idea of placing a hinged extension to allow for fore/aft sleeping position. Unfortunately my Odyssey's front kitchen layout is not conducive to this. One of these days I will find myself a rear kitchen layout which will allow for this arrangement.

As for mattress. I think the way to go is an inflatable queen size. I have a 12 volt air matress blower that will fill one in no time. When you need to fold up the extension, just partially deflate the mattress and it will fold easily.

could make the fold out narrow enough to fit, just have to sleep with your toes together, may have to use foam mattress instead of air. two sleeping sideways is a pain, the one in the back always needs to get out at some point :o)