Opinions Please 85 Sunrader

Viking66

Hello all!

I am new to this forum, and looking to become a long time member if I purchase a 1985 Toyota Sunrader.

I am looking at buying this Sunrader, the seller is asking $1995.00 for it, but they cannot tell me if everything works.

They are an older couple who were going to use it for some weekend camping not far from home until the Husband suffered a medium stroke. They cannot tell me if any of the appliances, of plumbing works.

It has had all 7 tires replaced with Yokohama radials D rated. It has the 6 lug axle. The motor is the 22lr...it runs. Has the manual transmission in it. Overall, the camper, and cab portion look real good for the age of the vehicle. It needs a thourough pressure washing, but definitely not a lived in look.

Title is free and clear. I am trying to stay away from a money pit.

What is your opinion of this deal?

Thanks in advance!!!

Edited by Viking66

Can you leave a deposit and try to have it hooked up for a day? See if you can run the fridge leave something in the freezer to see if it works, hot water tank, stove/oven and heater and AC? Sounds like a nice unit, any water damage? The new tires a nice bonus!

Not sure I could do that. They have another person coming to look today, so I may just buy it, and take my chances.

I don't think $1995 is to much, no water damage that I can see.

If it does not work out, I may be able to recoop my money in a few months if I need to.

Thanks for the response.

Buy IT !

4 cylinder 5 speed is ideal. I had one. 7 new tires. $700.

Can you leave a deposit and try to have it hooked up for a day? See if you can run the fridge leave something in the freezer to see if it works, hot water tank, stove/oven and heater and AC? Sounds like a nice unit, any water damage? The new tires a nice bonus!

Well, I went ahead and told the lady I would buy it. She is a real sweet gal, and when I told her I could come by and pay for it today, and pick up this weekend. She told me she didn't want me to make 2 trips, and that she would tell the man who was going to look at it tonight, that it was sold!!

I have my Father, and Brother coming for a visit in Janurary, and I only have 1 spare room, my Brother will stay in the Toy. I was going to pay $250.00 to rent a trailer from our base MWR, but that would have been a waste, in my mind at least.

I forgot to mention in my first post that it has a Genset as well, not sure if it works, but will be fun seeing if it does!

Let my fun begin....LOL

I will keep posting here and let you know what I find. I am a big forum guy...love to use them and add when I can. Forums are always a great way to learn and pass on things learned.

Here are a few pics:

post-4572-089476300 1292531582_thumb.jpg

post-4572-024309900 1292531612_thumb.jpg

Edited by Viking66

Looks like a fun rig. A full-floating axle is comforting news for that year. Maybe more importantly, it doesn't have those ridiculous wrap around windows! :) haha..

Have fun pimpin' your new ride and welcome to forums.

I could not find anyone to go with me to bring it home today. I did go out and look it over and noticed that there is a bit of water intrusion from the window by the couch :( That appears to be the only place I can find any. It does not look like that hard of a fix, but then again who knows.

I also wanted to run the engine while I was there and check for any over heating, leaks and that sort of thing. The motor is Not getting gas to it. It will run with a bit of starter fluid sprayed in the intake hose, but stops once that is gone. May be as simple as a clogged filter however, I did not hear the pump going when I turned on the key!

I got a late start, and asked if I could come back in the morning, and the lady said that would be fine. I am a bit disappointed that it would not stay running. The hose leading to the gas tank from the fill is rotted, and gas leaks from it. Easy replacement, but still one more thing. I will see if I can rotate the hose 180, so it will at least not drip.

I also noticed that the wiring going back to the house battery (no battery) is not in place correctly. The isolator has been taken out of the loop.

This Sunrader over all is the best I have seen as far as the class C's I have looked at for a decent price, and really has potential, just need to go through my mind if it is now worth 2G.

I am very mechanically inclined, so fixing it is not an issue, wanting to is.

Lots of think to do tonight!!!

You did good. No matter what you buy that old it's going to need some thing. Sunraders hold their value very well so you can afford to put some money in it for that price I all most bought an 87 with no interior for $2,000.

I have done some reading this morning over coffee about the Fuel Injection circuit, found some wiring diagrams, and a few tips on how to check the system out.

I am going back this morning to check out the things I have found.

I may just spring to have the thing put on a truck and brought home. I have all my tools here which would make things a lot easier, plus probably save me $150.00 If I can get it running, that would be best, just have to trust it to go 15 miles, with over half being on city freeways and bridges, I would hate to break down on one of them....LOL

The engine and related things do not seem very difficult to work on, just have to figure out what everything is, and does. Most of my experience has been with US cars and trucks over the years. All have the same principles Air-Fuel-Spark, that was the first thing my Father taught me about working on engines!

Well, I am hoping to report today that I got it running, and it is at my house, if not I may be reporting it was put on a truck and brought here...LOL

I think a $2K it was highway robbery even if it will not start as long as the interior is in decent shape. Most 87's are selling at twice and three times that price and more.

As for not starting it may not be the fuel pump. There are other components such as fuel injection etc. The fuel pump will be in the gas tank so to hear it you will have to have an ear close to the tank. And I think as long as the system is up to pressure the pump will be off maybe someone who has better knowledge of that might chime in. I bring that up because if you don't hear the pump it does not necessarily mean its not operating properly and that's an expensive replacement. I did not see that you checked all the fuses but I may have missed that. There are fuses under the dash and hood. Under the hood with the fuses are some relays. If its been sitting for along time a contact could have become corroded so pulling them out and putting them back in a couple of times will restore the contact. In the under the hood box there is a huge block which is a fuse, it does not pull out so don't force it.. Its big like 80 amps or something. A Chiltons in hand will be a wonderful tool in diagnosing and knowing where to look and test.

Ok, here goes.

I went over there this morning to go over the things I read. I did the bypass trick this supposed to make the fuel pump work, and that did not work. I pulled the fuel line from where it comes off of the pump, turned the key, and no fuel came out. It may still be some kind of wiring not letting it work.

I looked over a bunch of places looking for unhooked wires, checked all the fuses, except for the one Greg just mentioned, not sure where that is located. The thing will start with starter fluid, just not stay running as I previuosely mentioned.

I called a tow place and they want $175.00 to bring it to my house.

I sat and thought about it for awhile and decided that I was Not going to buy it. I went inside to tell the nice lady that I was going to pass, she asked if she came down on the price if it would help. I asked how much she wanted now, and she told me $1200.00. She said that would help me with buying the parts, and getting it towed...she then told me she really just wanted it out of her driveway!

Well for $1200.00, I really could not turn it down, so I told her yes. The tow man is going to bring it home for me tomorrow afternoon.

Now for sure let the fun begin!!!

$1200 you did very well. Once you have it in your driveway you can relax and systematically check things out. I don't know enough about the fuel system to say if it is actually the fuel pump or not. You do have to figure out which wire is the power supply wire and see if it gets power when there is a call for fuel. If it does have power then most likely it is the fuel pump. You have to drop the tank to swap out the pump so its worth it to throw in an extra $150 and also put in a new sender uni if you have any doubts about it. New hoses etc. Back to the pump. I don't know if there is a pressure switch that turns the pump on and off or if another circuit supplies power when fuel is needed due to a pressure drop. No matter what, at $1200 for an 87 you got the deal of the century!

Here is the deal on the pump, when you turn the key on the pump runs for a few seconds then shuts off. Inside the air flow sensor is a switch as air moves past the vane in the sensor it closes the switch and the pump continues to run as long as there is air flow. Can you have a friend cycle the key for you? Then listen for the pump you'll have to be near the tank. A rubber mallet might help if it does not run have your friend hold the key and tap the bottom of the tank it maybe stuck from old gas gumming it up. If you get it running a good dose of injector cleaner in the tank would be in order. After all of that I would change the fuel filter. It takes about 35 psi of fuel pressure to run right so if you can find some one with a fuel pressure gauge that well help you also. Shorting pins 1 and 2 on the air flow sensor will make the pump run with the key on alone or take the intake hose off and stick a screw driver in the vane to hold it open a bit.

Well, $1375.00 if you count the tow. Greg, it is a 1985, not 87....LOL , just picking on ya!

I will get some pics up tomorrow after I get it home.

Thanks for all of the replies on this.

LOL went and got my glasses now I can See. $1375 for an 85 is still a very good price!

one thing i discovered after trouble with my air flow meter box, as maineah describes, when the flapper vane opens, it closes a contact inside afm box that turns on the fuel pump. You can take off he inlet hose and move flapper w/ your hand. The fuel pump is pretty far away, but still can be heard. No tools needed to confirm that's workin at least.

Gluck w/ your camper and getting it goin. Prob will purr like a kitten. :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's an '85 sunrader, 22RE, 5 speed with an Onan gennie?

With 7 new tires and a 6 lug rear?

And you got it for 1375 delivered?

I hate you.

:)

Bought my 86 21 ft sunrader 4 years ago. It's an auto, the interior was immaculate, exterior pretty good other than a missing driver's side wheel skirt. It had incorrect/worn tires. It did have a brand new fridge.

I paid 5 grand and thought I did well.

1995 would have been a smoking good deal.

1375 ?

The best description I can come up with for that is grand theft auto.

Congrats and welcome to the Sunrader club.

Where are you, btw?

pete

Yeah, i saw that thread and i guess buying something you can't just drive home is worth some sorta discount.

50K huh?

Crap.

And it's a southern toy which probably means not a spec of rust.

Good for you, man. somebody must like you or something. Just wish the oooo i could stumble onto something like that.

Keep us posted on the progress.

I suspect that after a little spit shinning and getting the gennie sorted out, that thing's worth 7K all day long, during the good selling season which is right around the corner anyway.

Good luck with it....as if you need any more!!!! :)