Propane Consumption

doghouse

I am a newbie. 1990 Oddessey I used a half a bottle of propane last weekend. Turned on the fridge to max and had the heat on in the camper for the dogs for a 5 hour drive. Had the heat cranked all weekend with fridge on max. Had the water heater turned on for a short time jsut for two showers then turned it off. Drove home 5 hours with fridge on and camper heater on. Would this use a half a bottle of propane? If not, I tried tried looking for a leak by spraying different connection pionts with bubble soap. Could not find any leaks. I can not smell gas. Could it be leaking at some joint as I go over the raod with vibration? Is there a tyipical failer piont that I can look for in the fridge or water heater valves etc.. I beleive it does not leak when I have the main valve shut off, unless it is a very slow leak over time that I can not detect. Winter storage may reveal this.

Unless your smelling ability is dead you will smell propane. The refrigerator is the least demanding so don't worry about that. As a note if I leave mine on full while parked (your making sure the rig is level right?) it will go below freezing so I actually have to turn up the temp. We left our water heater on for 21 days after one trip. Only had to put in 3 gals but that was without anyone using the water. The heater will eat some gas. Are you using the inside panel meter as a reference as to how much you used or did you have the tank filled and calculated it. A 8 gal propane tank will not hold 8 gallons, more like 6 plus. I mention the gauge compared to actual amount purchased because those gauges can be way off.

Anyhow the heater is your culprit. These rigs are not well insulated and have very little in the way of thermo mass. So depending on the outside temp its possible you could have used half your propane with the heater.

Also there are propane detectors you can buy and I suggest you purchase one. They have a life span so even if you do have one it may have been OEM and has lived its life and needs replacement.

Does the water heater have a thermostat that will shut off the propane burner when it reaches a certain temperature, or is it just firing constantly until you shut it off? I have an '89 Sunrader 6 cylinder. I fired up the heater one time for a shower and when the time came (15-20 min.?), I could have made coffee with the hot water. Checked the unit outside and couldn't find any heat adjustment. Anyone figured this out? thanks...

The later model heaters have no adjustment for temp. The burner cycles on and off as you use the hot water.

The fridge did freeze stuff outside the freezer part, but I had it on max and the outside temp was cold. I turned that down. My water heater just has a hotter and colder lever you side in the direction desired, which you access from the outside panel. Like I said it was just on for the showers then off. The cabin heater was cranked and did come off and on with the thermostat temp selection. The heater did come on and off, so it was not running continuously, but did come on and off fairly frequently. I did notice sometimes that the igniter for the heater would not get the pilot going and the fan would just blow cold air. Only happened a few times. Is this more likely to happen when you are driving? Wind blows in the exhaust ports? I did fill up with $7 dollars worth of propane before we left which read a half a tank according to the gauge on the tank. I did not want to fill it up if I was having a leak. Maybe the heater does use a lot of propane. That is why I was asking.

I agree with Greg the heaters are energy hogs pretty fair amount of BTUs per hour the fridge, water heater, and stove probably won't use a tank full all summer unless you are out a lot. My pilot light for the water heater will heat the water over night plenty warm enough for a shower and the fridge flame is smaller then a candle flame. $7 is probably only 1.5 gallons so it may not be as bad as it looks.

I had my rig at our local rv repair shop this spring. When I picked it up and paid the bill I asked the workman, not the counter guy, which propane appliances could be used while driving and which ones not. He said only the refrigerator was safe to use while driving because it was properly shielded from the wind you get at highway speeds. He specifically warned against using the water heater or furnace when driving. I respect the guy but I have used a burner on the stove while driving, several times, with no bad thing happening. I just have to hold the percolator or pan to keep it from sliding off.

Don't know about the heater but I would guess it would work fine it's a forced draft the water heater works fine I have left mine on while travailing I have not had it go out in gale force winds camping at the beach. The biggest concern is turning them off before you gas up.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a newbie. 1990 Oddessey I used a half a bottle of propane last weekend. Turned on the fridge to max and had the heat on in the camper for the dogs for a 5 hour drive. Had the heat cranked all weekend with fridge on max. Had the water heater turned on for a short time jsut for two showers then turned it off. Drove home 5 hours with fridge on and camper heater on. Would this use a half a bottle of propane? If not, I tried tried looking for a leak by spraying different connection pionts with bubble soap. Could not find any leaks. I can not smell gas. Could it be leaking at some joint as I go over the raod with vibration? Is there a tyipical failer piont that I can look for in the fridge or water heater valves etc.. I beleive it does not leak when I have the main valve shut off, unless it is a very slow leak over time that I can not detect. Winter storage may reveal this.

I think that what you describe for propane use is about what you should expect for the appliances you describe. When we travel in cold weather, we leave the furnace thermostat set for 68 degrees until we retire, then lower the setting to 45 degrees(which is as low as the digital t'stat will go). When temps get down to 15 degrees overnight or so, the furnace will come on about every 1/2 hour and run for about 5 minutes. We will use about 2 1/2 gallons of propane in 4 days under these conditions.

Bill

• 1 month later...

Hey we cooked a turkey boob in the oven while going down the road for Thanksgiving and had no problem except it made me hungry !!!

Have a great day

GP

I think that what you describe for propane use is about what you should expect for the appliances you describe. When we travel in cold weather, we leave the furnace thermostat set for 68 degrees until we retire, then lower the setting to 45 degrees(which is as low as the digital t'stat will go). When temps get down to 15 degrees overnight or so, the furnace will come on about every 1/2 hour and run for about 5 minutes. We will use about 2 1/2 gallons of propane in 4 days under these conditions.

Bill