Charging coach battery

gene j

On my 92 Dolphin the coach battery takes some work to get at if you want to put a charger on it for regular maintenance. Does anyone know if there is an easier way to hook up the battery charger rather than pulling the battery out of the compartment and disconnecting the screw on wires. What I was thinking of was putting the charger under the hood and connecting the positive to the wire leading from the battery isolator to the coach battery. I would disconnect that wire there first. I guess it could be grounded anywhere on the frame. Just a thought....looking for a shortcut. Thanks

On second thought, doesn't the coach battery charge when you are plugged in to 110 ac? Plugging it in in my driveway would do the same thing?

Yes you should be charging when plugged into shore power. But what model converter do you have. The old 6300 series really do not have a very good charger and can boil batteries. As for just a charger you should get whats called a smart charger. The battery really needs to have a float charge applied when just sitting. Smart chargers can do that and much more. Hopefully someone that can describe the smart chargers better than me will step in and fill in some of the blanks As a note most modern converters have smart chargers built in or can be available as an option. The 6300 series converter is a whole other story, and it has a replacement that fits in the same box called the 7300ru. http://www.parallaxpower.com/7300/7300RU.pdf The 6300 is not a clean power supply and can be bad for 12vdc electronics. Any how investigate what your converter is as it might be more cost effective to replace it and then you don't have to worry about an additional charger.

I'm needing to do this upgrade some time too... This is what i found so far:

http://www.bestconve...eries_p_66.html

and

http://www.bestconve...FCO_ep_8-1.html

How stupid I am....I am quite the "NEWBIE". I thought the vent below the fold out couch was the heater....it is the vent for the converter I've found out after looking at the links you sent. I also thought you had to access the panels from the opposite side, or the side under the couch seat (ouch), but your links have cleared this up. The unit is the 6300 with breakers for A/C, micro and gen purpose. The photos make it look quite easy to change. I'm assuming I can order this part on line....I will investigate...Thanks again for clearing up another newbie mystery. They offer 45 or 55 amp I notice, and they are not cheap. How critical would you say this is, or are there steps you can take to avoid the problems that the 6300 may present....the thing has been in there for 20 years almost....of course my coach battery was toast when I bought the rig.

Gene

It's a great upgrade they are 3 stage chargers and can be left plugged in with out damaging your batteries. Another nice feature is the ability to run more 12 volt stuff while it's plugged in because of the higher output and it will charge a discharged battery faster. Some people have put the old chargers on a timer and only run them for an hour a day but that's not the best way to deal with an old charger. Be advised it will not charge your truck battery if you have a relay type isolator you can make a jumper wire with clips to jump the isolator terminals and charge both batteries. (don't forget to take it off when you go camping!)

I think the Parallex require an optional plug in module for 3 stage charging. Talk to the guy at bestconverters.com he knows his stuff.

It looks like the 7300ru doesn't have the 3 stage charging in it. They have an ultra III that is.

I think the Parallex require an optional plug in module for 3 stage charging. Talk to the guy at bestconverters.com he knows his stuff.

Many moons ago we all had this same discussion about Parallex's charging system. Basically parallex does not like the 3 stage system because the battery with their system is always in parallel with charger and everything else. So if the 3 stage charging actions are applied to the battery then it also gets applied to whatever electronic device you have running on the 12vdc side. I don't know enough about the 3 stage chargers to say what happens, such as does the voltage change when one of the 3 stages kicks in? I have a Ioata RV converter that I use for my Ham Radio station, it has a 3 stage smart charger. It is connected in parallel with all my radio gear. I have never monitored the voltage on a constant basis to see if it changes. I have had no problem with any of my electronics so there you go.

I do have a 7300ru in the RV and it has worked flawlessly. I keep it plugged in 24/7 with an AGM battery.

Here is the explanation I originally got from Parallex when I asked them about the charger in the 7300ru and a link to the old thread on the 7300.

The issue we have with "smart charger technology" (when used in an RV) lies more with the application of the technology than the technology itself. In a typical RV 12 volt electrical system, the converter/charger and the battery or battery bank is connected in parallel with the rest of the 12 volt distribution system. In "parallel" means where the charging source (converter/charger) positive and negative output is electrically connected to both the battery bank positive and negative, and the 12-volt distribution system positive and negative, at the same time. The voltage output of the converter "smart charger" is based on a "detected" battery voltage. The converter "smart charger" claims to "monitor" and respond to battery condition while connected to the entire 12 volt system. Unless the charging source (converter) has a separate or isolated charging output, we do not agree that a converter or charger can effectively differentiate requirements of the batteries from other 12 volt loads while simultaneously connected to the rest of the 12 volt distribution system in the RV.

Detected use or voltage change on the RV 12-volt load system (i.e. lights, pumps, etc being turned on) generally keeps these devices at a 13.6 -13.8 "float" voltage. This raises the question whether any real additional benefit is being provided to the battery bank unless the coach remains in a "non-use" storage condition. If a converter "smart charger" is only connected to the battery bank and can therefore monitor only battery voltage or current, and is not also connected "in parallel" with the 12 volt distribution system, we have no problem with the application of "smart charger technology".

http://toyotamotorho...h=1entry12127