what kind of radio you have ????

pdqmovie

Most of them are pretty easy to put in they generally are DIN mounts that just slide in. I would advise you to get an adapter to fit your Toyota from the radio store see if you can find the ones that just plugs into your radio and the MH it will save you a lot of head aches they are around $15. I bought a JVC with a remote I had seen them and all ways wondered why would one would need a remote when they are 3 feet from the radio? But wow is it neat in the motor home! I just keep the remote in the coach.

can you send me a picture of your?? what the model number so i can look this up ??

I like the remote idea as you spend more time in the back of the rv

Thanks

Price

Most of them are pretty easy to put in they generally are DIN mounts that just slide in. I would advise you to get an adapter to fit your Toyota from the radio store see if you can find the ones that just plugs into your radio and the MH it will save you a lot of head aches they are around $15. I bought a JVC with a remote I had seen them and all ways wondered why would one would need a remote when they are 3 feet from the radio? But wow is it neat in the motor home! I just keep the remote in the coach.

Yeah the remote is great. Radios change as much as computers so it probably would not do you much good if I gave you a model number I'm sure they are no longer made (3 years old). A lot of the newer radios also have a USB or at least a jack for an MP3 player I wish mine did I would love to have a USB port for MP3 files that way I could have hours of the music I like. I would just go and find some thing you like with the features you want they all now use a DIN mount so just about any thing would fit. I'll try to get a photo for you tomorrow so at least you can see how well it fits. If you can find the adapter (most brand name radios are covered) that plugs into the radio and the Toyota it's a snap to install a new radio.

thanks for the info

Yeah the remote is great. Radios change as much as computers so it probably would not do you much good if I gave you a model number I'm sure they are no longer made (3 years old). A lot of the newer radios also have a USB or at least a jack for an MP3 player I wish mine did I would love to have a USB port for MP3 files that way I could have hours of the music I like. I would just go and find some thing you like with the features you want they all now use a DIN mount so just about any thing would fit. I'll try to get a photo for you tomorrow so at least you can see how well it fits. If you can find the adapter (most brand name radios are covered) that plugs into the radio and the Toyota it's a snap to install a new radio.

A quick google search will find you a good fit kit for a modern radio and the install is easy. I'd say it would be very worthwhile (and inexpensive) to replace the speakers in the cab (especially if they are the original factory units in the underside of the dash).

I just did this on an 89 Sunrader, and it really is a piece of cake. I put in a newer Pioneer, replaced both the cab and coach speakers and it sounds fabulous. I also found a spot for a subwoofer behind the driver's seat, but that may be more of an adventure than you're looking for.

And I'd absolutely second the vote for a unit with a remote. Even as I'm restoring the rig it is fabulous to have control from the coach. Now i just need to figure out a remote that would work on my iPhone and i'll be all set!

A nice head unit can be had for $125 bucks or even less online. Even the recognized brands have some nice inexpensive systems, and in that price range there are many that come with a remote and will connect to your phone or MP3.

And if you shop around, there are crazy bargains on speakers. Anything to replace the old paper cones... Have fun!

Hi PDQ,

You might want to check out crutchfield.com. Their prices are about the same as you'll find at your local big box store, but they offer excellent support and include mounting brackets and a wiring harness in their price. Even if you don't end up buying from them, their web site has lots of good information. You can specify what features you want and it'll show you all the matches.

You'll definitely want to get a wiring harness that's specifically made for your Toy. You connect it to the harness that comes with the new deck and it plugs directly into the stock connectors on your rig. I tried several different mounting brackets and had a hard time finding one that fit well and didn't interfere with the stock dash pocket on my '84. I ended up doing what's called an "ISO install" using the stock brackets instead of using the DIN sleeve. That worked much better for me and made for a very clean install. Take a look at:

http://www.installdr.com/TechDocs/999015.pdf

I second getting a deck with a remote. It's great to be able to control your music while sitting in the back of the coach. I'll also put in a vote for a front panel USB connector. The JVC deck I installed will work as an iPod controller, but better yet, it will play music files directly from a USB flash drive. I can plug in a drive with many hours of music and never need to mess around with CDs. It even displays the title of the song that's playing.

Brad

'84 Sunrader 180RD

FtC CO

Hi there ,

My radio went out in my Toyota dolphin motorhome I would like to know what other members have as a replacement in their RV . I would like to find one that is easy to put in .

Thanks

Price

87 Toyota dolphin

I would recommend a radio that has an AUX input for a mini-jack (size on head phones).

This way you can pump your TV / Video audio through your radio speakers. We use a Laptop that has a 15.5 inch screen and a built-in DVD player and connect the audio to the radio with a 10 foot cord (radio shack). It works great, even while moving.

Thanks,

I been looking on line at many radio that they offer i going with a aux port and a remote for sure i like the idea of controlling the radio from the back area of the motorhome with a cd player . I have a portable sirius radio that was connected to my old radio that has a cassette adapter . i assuming that i can plug this in the aux port of the newer radio that they have out there ??? one more thing i notice some have this ( HD radio ) listed i not sure what the heck that is does anybody have this ????

THanks for the ideas campers

Price

HD radio is no big deal yet there are just a hand full of stations out there that use HD it's coming but not real big yet. Yes you can plug the Sirius directly into the aux port much better sound quality. The remote can't be beat you'll wonder how you ever got along with out it. My radio does not have an aux jack I plug my MP3 player into a little battery FM transmitter and play it through the FM radio.

I 'll triple that on the Remote. I found mine to be so useful i lost it. HA! I think i have a panasonic detachable face,nothing special. but WOw i just looked on ebay for $189 not bad! not quite sure id want tv but for 189 why not. Whats 1 DIN mean anyway?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-DIN-CAR-STEREO-DVD-CD-MP3-TV-RADIO-SYSTEM-7-LCD_W0QQitemZ400111324224QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d287e4c40

Just put a new radio in my Dolphin about a month ago. I didn't want to spend a whole lot, but want bluetooth and ended up buying this one through amazon for $90 plus shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Phase-Linear-BT1611i-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B001GQ36Z8/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IJDHQ52V808JG&colid=34U2DUVBL4G38

Then I went down to kragens and bought an adapter. The adapter was about $11 and I still had a fiddle with it to get it to work. My Dolphin had a metal adapter for the old radio, but it didn't work for the new, thus the need for a new one (new one is a single DIN). The whole process was fairly easy. I found some instructions after searching the internet for a while which was very useful.. here's the link

http://www.installdr.com/

Hope that helps. Best of Luck!

DIN = Deutsches Institut für Normung or (roughly) German Standards Institute. See:

http://en.wikipedia....%C3%BCr_Normung

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_7736

In reference to car stereos, its a mounting system with a specific size mounting sleeve that's installed in the dash that the component slides into. Most decks are one DIN unit high and are called single DIN (or 1 DIN). A few are twice as high and are called double DIN.

I tied a little cord to my remote and have it hanging from the rail above the back window. Always handy when sitting at the dinette and keeps it from getting lost (at least for a while).

Brad

'84 Sunrader 180RD

FtC CO

I 'll triple that on the Remote. I found mine to be so useful i lost it. HA! I think i have a panasonic detachable face,nothing special. but WOw i just looked on ebay for $189 not bad! not quite sure id want tv but for 189 why not. Whats 1 DIN mean anyway?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item5d287e4c40

Edited by COYota

I bought a radio for one of my other vehicles when I discovered it had a remote (since I believe that a remote is useless for a car unless it is back in 1958 sitting in the back seat down by the lake, listening to the radio because it's more comfortable there). I decided it would be better to install it in the 83 Sunrader. I had never paid close attention to the radio in the motorhome before but I discovered that the previous owner had installed an after market shaft-type radio but he had to modify the bottom right corner of the face plate so it fit into the dash. I decided to wait and try to install my new one later when I had more time.

My question is: has anyone ever installed a 1DIN radio in an 83 or earlier Toy in the original in-dash location? I don't want to install it anywhere but in the original location. Hanging it under the dash is out of the question mainly due to the Heating/AC unit sitting there. Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Allen

post-481-12695352843175_thumb.jpg

I have put all kinds of DIN mount radios in several different year Toyota trucks all either had replacement junk with knobs and shafts or the Toyota radios that were screwed in place. The DIN mounts have small tabs that you can bend out to fit against the back of the dash so if some one has not carved up the dash you should have no problem getting a DIN mount to work. DIN by the way is a German standard where our US standard is SAE many newer cars use a double DIN often for radios with a Nav system screen.

My question is: has anyone ever installed a 1DIN radio in an 83 or earlier Toy in the original in-dash location? I don't want to install it anywhere but in the original location. Hanging it under the dash is out of the question mainly due to the Heating/AC unit sitting there. Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Allen

post-481-12695352843175_thumb.jpg

Allen, I see your issue. You're thinking about that lower right hand corner. You're going to have to either look around for something that you can mount under that piece of molding or be willing to shave a bit of it off. Either way, however, is fairly straight forward.

Hi Allen,

Here is a modern shaft radio that you can install in your 83. It has everything that people have been talking about here: remote, USB input, and 2 auxiliary inputs. It also comes in either chrome or black. It is a bit pricey, but would be a nice addition. http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/1

Regards,

AllenL

Hi Allen,

Here is a modern shaft radio that you can install in your 83. It has everything that people have been talking about here: remote, USB input, and 2 auxiliary inputs. It also comes in either chrome or black. It is a bit pricey, but would be a nice addition. http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/1

Regards,

AllenL

[/qu

That is no joke pricey for what you're getting. If you're at that price point you have a lot of options available.

Hi Allen,

Regards,

AllenL

[/qu

That is no joke pricey for what you're getting. If you're at that price point you have a lot of options available.

I agree and no CD player. If I had a pristine old "T Bird" or some thing maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

i finally got the time to take out my radio here the problem the wire thing is different than of the toyota wire hardness i look up what a toyota 1987 pick up hardness would be it show two plugs and the one i have in the rv is one plug take a look at the pictures any ideas that would help me wire an after market radio or should i go to like a best buys store and just have them do it ???

Any help would be helpfull

Thanks

Price

post-2310-12710178382576_thumb.jpg

post-2310-12710178656063_thumb.jpg

post-2310-12710178953812_thumb.jpg

post-2310-1271017932042_thumb.jpg

Lots of times they will do a deal on an install if you buy a radio from them. If you are not comfortable with wiring let them do it. It's not real tough but may save you a lot of time and effort.

You have the same problem I had. The original plugs had been whacked off.

installdr.com has the wire harness diagrams.

pick-n-pull had the two donor plugs. Anything after 1987 that did not have the powered amplifier - a 20 pin plug, if I recall correctly. Take at least 6" of wire when you cut. No store will have the original Toyota plugs and harness wires.

And for Greg: I now am soldering instead of crimping. I had a wire pop loose. Very annoying. Still much re-work to complete, now.

Dash wires on my '86:

1st plug - 10 pin:

A - R + front speaker - light green

B - L + front speaker - pink

C - +12v Ignition - gray

D - +12v Battery - blue w\ yellow stripe

E - R - front speaker - blue

F - L - front speaker - purple

G - ground - white w\ black stripe

H - no dash wire - 12v out only for radio, to power antenna

I - no dash wire

J - illumination power - tap into a green dash lights +12v wire. I used the shift indicator light wire in the column.

The 2nd 4 pin plug is rear speaker wiring. Use the diagram.

I finally did it i put the radio in today took me two days to do it as my wife have me doing other things in between hahahaha here the finish product before and after pictures . it has a aux plug for my portable sirius radio and mp3 player . the best thing it has the remote with this radio cant wait to try this out .

Thanks Guys for the help with this

Price

post-2310-12717276583691_thumb.jpg

post-2310-12717276942443_thumb.jpg

I installed a Pyle PLD70BT into our 91

The Pyle is also a dvd player (which we do not use) but it is also our rear camera view with its 7 inch screen. That part I can not live without. It has the ability to switch to the rear view when shifted into reverse. Its also blue tooth and will interface with any blue tooth phone for hands free operation or with any mp3 player that has blue tooth capabilities for playing music. Has an SD card slot and a usb port for thumbdrives. Its a standard DIN size. I also bought the kit for installation that has a small cubby hole for cds storage etc. Comes with remote also. The rear camera abilities is why I chose it. Was under $200 on eBay shipping included.

As a note I did have a Pyle PLD5MU installed before this one. It is also a rear view dvd etc but it does not have the blue tooth and the screen is only 5 inches. It decided to die on us a 3 weeks before a planned trip. The screen went blank. Still under warranty but as it turned out Pyle was on Easter Break for a week so there was no way I could get it back in time. So I opted to upgrade to a better model. The PLD5MU is back from Pyle, fixed and sitting in its original box.

I installed a Pyle PLD70BT into our 91

The Pyle is also a dvd player (which we do not use) but it is also our rear camera view with its 7 inch screen. That part I can not live without. It has the ability to switch to the rear view when shifted into reverse. Its also blue tooth and will interface with any blue tooth phone for hands free operation or with any mp3 player that has blue tooth capabilities for playing music. Has an SD card slot and a usb port for thumbdrives. Its a standard DIN size. I also bought the kit for installation that has a small cubby hole for cds storage etc. Comes with remote also. The rear camera abilities is why I chose it. Was under $200 on eBay shipping included.

As a note I did have a Pyle PLD5MU installed before this one. It is also a rear view dvd etc but it does not have the blue tooth and the screen is only 5 inches. It decided to die on us a 3 weeks before a planned trip. The screen went blank. Still under warranty but as it turned out Pyle was on Easter Break for a week so there was no way I could get it back in time. So I opted to upgrade to a better model. The PLD5MU is back from Pyle, fixed and sitting in its original box.

i would like to see a picture of this model

thanks

Price

i would like to see a picture of this model

thanks

Price

Here is the PLD70BT

PLD70BT.jpg

And the PLD5MU

PLD5MU.jpg

Do a search on ebay for the best prices. Pyles site shows retail price which is over $300, ebay under $200

And the link to Pyle DVD Recievers with Video Display http://www.pyleaudio...20W/%20Monitors

• 9 months later...

did you power your radio with the coach battery or the truck. Do you have to leave the ignition on in order for the remote to work? I alwo bought a JVC with a bluetooth, usb and a CD player. I am presently powered through the truck battery.

TRUCK - Removed the original analog knob AM / FM and installed an electronic AM / FM out of a 94 Camry ($20 on E-Bay)

post-4544-0-89521300-1297179877_thumb.jp

COACH - Installed an AM / FM / DVD Player / TV - Installed under the cabinet. (see photo) ($110 on E-Bay)

post-4544-0-49705600-1297179326_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-66623600-1297179375_thumb.jp