1987 Toyota Escaper

Sandra C

Hi, I'm new.. (I just tried to post this same info but I got a server busy, I apologize if I double post) My bf and I are looking at an '87 Escaper owned by bf's first cousin's widow.. We've found a volleyball size hole in the a/c cover on top and a hole in the back where the ladder was pushed in from a tree. The a/c and refrig works. It drives really good.. may need some new tires. We're hoping to buy this from her. I did tell the bf about the axle thing and he's going to look at how many lugs there are on it. The license plate shows 07 as the expiration year on it.. So it's been sitting for approximately 2 years. Any suggestions or gotchas that we need to be looking at or fixing?

Great site here.. I'm really excited about this purchase from what I've read on here.

Thanks in Advance

Sandra

Helloooooo Sandra!!!!

Keep reading past posts. You're on the right track. (I actually have a binder of printed past posts and notes on sage advice gleaned from the wonderful toy gurus that frequent this forum.) What might not be relevant now, might be later. Anyhoo. You've come to the right place.

Rearend - number one issue...figure that out and go from there.

If it's 5 lug, then you're next question will be....To invest or not to invest?

That's a start.

Welcome to the forum.

Shanda

We got it... for $1700! :ThumbUp: Now, on to fix the leaks, the brakes (needs a master cylinder), replace the tires.. We are so excited... and tomorrow's my birthday.. Happy Birthday to me, happy birthday to me... lol

Sandra,

Congratulations!

Don't forget to keep us posted on your progess. Fun! Fun!

Happy Birthday too!

shanda

Well you way passed the looking for gotchas. :o

Welcome to the Club, its exclusive and getting smaller as more Toys die off.

Take lots of small bites and soon it will be all done. If you start off with too big a bite then you are liable to become disillusioned and abandon your new Toy

Thank you, shanda, for the birthday wishes. Thanks, WME, for the welcome.. We don't think we bit off too much.. I think it's in pretty good shape for it's age.. Oh, did I say that it's only got 55K miles? We think we got us a bargain at $1700.. We jumped on it because we felt the woman was going to sell it to any one that asked about it.

Well, here's the list so far of the fixes:

We need to find a jack for the tires, where might it be located? Or need a supplier to buy one.

We need to buy a RV water hose, bf says it's white, special for RV's..?

We need lots of silicone to seal the windows and such

The awning is askew, bf says it's slipped in the anchor on the mh side and thinks he can fix it.

The A/C cover has the volleyball size hole, bf says the piece are down inside and maybe we could piece them back together .. if not, does any one know where We can get a replacement for it?

There's a hole where the ladder was pushed into the mh. The ladder has to be pulled out with a come-a-long then the hole patched.

The vent door for, I believe, the refrigerator needs replacing.. It's bent in, also.. Any one know of suppliers for this?

Sandra..

"To do" lists are like weeds, they just keep growing.

White potable water hoses: Walmart $14 or so.

Reseal windows: I suggest you take them out, clean them up, and re-butyl or putty them prior to putting them back in. Several good posts here, keep reading.

AC hood: I've seen them online at several locations - depending on type size, will probably run $100 to $200.

Just like WME says, (and I paraphrase) "One small bite at a time."

You'll be fixin' and learnin' all at the same time. It's all a part of the fun.

Post pictures soon.

shanda

• 3 weeks later...

hi, All, Update on the Escaper... We fixed the leaks in the roof, fixed the brakes, and got tags and insurance on it.. We decided to do a local flea market, in Clinton, Arkansas this weekend, selling antique furniture under the awning.. We didn't sell much but had a blast... We were only going to do one night, but liked it so much, We stayed two. We started up the refrigerator on gas and it works great... We didn't know what setting to put it on, but thanks to a current thread on here, We do now. We have a leak from the septic tank, not a bad one, but needs fixed... it stinks..

While we were there, we had several inquires about the toyota. We told them we just bought it and no, it's not for sale.

Had a great time, took some pics while there, I hope to be posting one soon.

Oh, We did see a Dolphin, sitting in the Clinton Huddle House parking lot. We didn't make it back in time to talk to the owners. Maybe it was one of you...?

Happy camping,

Sandra

• 4 weeks later...

hi, All, Update on the Escaper... We fixed the leaks in the roof, fixed the brakes, and got tags and insurance on it.. We decided to do a local flea market, in Clinton, Arkansas this weekend, selling

Happy camping,

Sandra

I notice that your back axle has a chrome trim ring on the wheel and what appears to be a center chrome cap. Is that correct or just the picture. I have a 85 escaper and would like to do something similar with the wheels. What does your front wheels look like.

In Louisana

• 13 years later...

Hi everyone! I’m gina and i’m new to this motor home world! I recently purchased a 87 toyota escaper. It’s in the shape you would expect for that year, I have so many questions that i can’t find answers for! I have changed the spark plugs, wires, cap & rotor, and coil! But it still has what feels like a hesitation should I replace the coil igniter assembly? (running into trouble even finding this assembly as well) Or would this possibly be a fuel issue, other then the hesitation and possible misfire it idles perfectly and starts up perfect. I need help!! I’m very excited to learn a bunch of new things and possibly help out others! 

Welcome…..

Need more engine information. 4 cylinder or 6 ? Snap a picture of your engine and post it here if you’re not sure. Could be many different things. Fuel filter is the first thing that pops into my mind.

I have the same year Escaper and have been working on it for years. Your Escaper likely has an aluminum skeleton for the camper part which survives the water intrusion issues these campers have. A lot of smart people here who have a lot of experience with all aspects of these motorhomes. Bring the questions. Glad to hear you're ready and willing to dig in.