How do I fill my propane tank

I pulled my 86 Odyssey up to a propane filling station and we couldn’t see a filling nozzle on my tank. Can anyone tell me how I get this tank filled up?

IMG_0104.jpeg

Thanks Linda. Hopefully it will be easy to remove. 

Well it turns out the regulator is so far impossible to remove. Everything looks like it could be replaced. Would you have any links to a complete replacement of tank (with shutoff and gauge) and regulator?  I see Home Depot has steel 5 gal for around $50.

are you turning the nut clockwise? it is left hand thread

Your regulator is left hand thread. This means you turn it the opposite of what you would normally do.

Clockwise will loosen, counterclockwise will tighten. You may have to tap the wrench with a rubber mallet as you probably over tightened it thinking it was right hand thread. Use a flare wrench if you have one. Less chance of rounding over the nut.

Edited by fred heath

On 3/24/2024 at 4:50 PM, fred heath said:

Your regulator is left hand thread. This means you turn it the opposite of what you would normally do.

Clockwise will loosen, counterclockwise will tighten. You may have to tap the wrench with a rubber mallet as you probably over tightened it thinking it was right hand thread. Use a flare wrench if you have one. Less chance of rounding over the nut.

Wow, that never occurred to me.  The nut is pretty well rounded off now, but maybe I can get it off with vice grips.  I'll give that a try. Thanks.

p.s. if you need to replace the tank, a regular bbq tank won't work. it must be for horizontal use

Fred, that did the trick

Extech, thanks for that info.  Now that I got the regulator removed,  I want to replace it. Anything I should know?

You can try to find the exact model # for replacement.

I purchased a 2 stage propane regulator for grill application at Lowe’s for about $45. Fit my system with no modifications. Think it was a “chargrill “.

Online try propane warehouse. Lots of propane accessories at really reasonable prices.

Thanks, I'll see what I can find.