Are these Toyota RV’s too old to keep?

I recently sold my Beautiful Granville RV. She was a 1985 22RE. And I sold another MiniWini also 1985. My concern was if they were to break down What to Do? You can’t find a shop with the high bay to lift them up But more importantly A mechanic who can fix them now. When traveling with no cellular coverage What to do? I was only camping close to home. Too afraid to travel far away! I miss my Granville immensely. Restored her from the ground up. What do you current owners think? 

I’m thinking that it’s always a gamble, to some degree, right? And generally the older the rig, Toyota or not, the worse the odds. 

In terms of “risk mitigation” you can a) do as much preventative maintenance as possible b) limit the distances involved (and avoid super remote destinations) so you don’t find yourself completely up a creek without a paddle and c) try and become the best shade-tree mechanic that you can be… and bring tools. 

Think of your motorhome as a large truck. You need to find a shop or garage that services these types of vehicles. Their lifts are perfectly capable for the size and weight of your motorhome.

Toyota motorhomes are more “truck” mechanically than a car. Truck garages are used to working on many different manufacturers, many of which are older models.

If you can find someone like this close to where you live, stop in and talk to them. Better to have a known contact than rushing to find a shop during an emergency.

You can always have them put it up on a lift and do a safety check. Especially before a long trip.

I agree with Ctgriffi's suggestion about becoming the best shade tree mechanic you can be. I think these trucks are reliable once most everything under the hood has been gone through and I mean most everything. Double whammy with these trucks being old, and RV's generally sitting a lot more than other older vehicles which wears the rubber components. A thoroughly gone through 22re is very reliable. If you do the work yourself you will have an awareness of most likely issues and will know the tools and parts to have on hand (at the least a spare set of belts) if you're leaving civilization.  I find myself looking under the hood and inspecting after every trip I take to try to catch potential issues. 

Ditto, know as much as possible about the truck, that’s half the fun with these. The other part is just heading out on an adventure. I’ve been 2000 miles from home in some remote places with ours, takes me back when I took off from

home just out of HS in an old truck and found my way up near the arctic circle in AK, man I didn’t know what I didn’t know back then and what an adventure!!

Edited by MaineJed