dondiego, I have peened the knurled part around studs with a center punch in several positions along the length of the knurl, effectively creating an exaggerated "knurl" which worked successfully for me in several instances. Not too scientific but effective.

Peening is a great option, as is using an epoxy.  Look for a product designed to hold bearing shells in place, as it is released by heat (torch, etc).  I would not be concerned at all in using JB Weld here.  All the splines do is prevent the stud from rotating - they have nothing to do with the carrying the load from proper torqueing. I'd apply it, then put perhaps 30 ft-lbs on it to ensure it's pulled all the way seated. Cure for 24 hours and you're set for full torque.

EDIT:  Also, "right size bolts" "from the local hardware" and "the knurls slip".  Are you saying you found automotive grade knurled lugs at the hardware store?  Or are you saying you simply found some ordinary hardware store bolts that fit, but are not knurled or actual automotive lugs? 

Edited by IdahoDoug

Thanks guys. Good question. They were in a small "auto section", so I hope they are hard enough. They looked like my old ones, except the Knurl didn't hold them . I thought Peening or J b weld might be an option. Glad I found this site again. Not  many 6 cyl. Toys out there.