Air bag suspension

jminshew

Hello,

Does anyone happen to know what the airbag suspension pressure should be at on the rear axle of a 1991 Seabreeze Model 400 toyota mini motor home.  It has the 3.0L V6.  

Air Lift bags or something else? I’ve heard numbers from between 40-70psi; really depends on the weight of your rig and possibly a few other factors. Drive around and see what works. 

I had it weighed recently on some cat scales, and it came back at 5500lbs.   Ive ran 40psi,  i believe these are factory as the brocure i found stated they had air bags installed,  still has leaf springs.  I was guessing on the air pressure, but didnt want to exceed maximum pressure, since i had no idea what that pressure would be.  Thank you for the information.

I have AirLifts on the rear coils of two vehicles now and have had them on two others. Dunno if yours are the same model, but the way mine are designed is for overload use. Unladen, measure distance to ground from a point. Apply load (cargo, full tanks n luggage, or in my case boat trailer) measure again.   Then put say 10 psi in and apply load again. Still too much sag? 20psi. And so on.  I believe mine have a max psi of less than 40.  Once you've discovered the psi that works, note it somewhere.

Seabreeze is the same as Dolphin and most of them have T9 airbags. The bags they used were made by Firestone and max inflation is about 100psi. I run mine at 50 to 60 usually. I would consider 40 the minimum for a motorhome and 80 max. Somewhere in between you'll find what works right for you. No measuring required. Just look to see if your motorhome looks level front to back and side to side. Some rigs with all the appliances, tanks and stuff on one side list slightly and the air bags can take care of that. Never let the Air bags completely deflate. Weight of the motorhome can rip the rubber. 

I also use mine to level at camping spots. Let air out where I need it so my fridge is level. Can't adjust enough at extremely uneven ground but enough at most developed campsites.

Linda S

Oh and Doug. Our rigs are always overloaded

Ah - the Firestones are much stronger than mine and designed for leaf springs. My AL's are coil style airbags - designed for much lighter loads. Thanks for the model number in case it comes to that for my Sunrader!