sunrader window weather stripping

Thumper

Hi All, I know that this is a real long shot. I have a 1985 Toyota Sunrader. Does anyone know what the weather stripping, used on the outside of the widows that open, is called. It looks like it is a type of foam rubber, maybe inserted into a tack. Mine is so worn it allows water to come in. I have found a couple of places that sell that kind of thing, but there are hundreds of choices. Any feedback would be helpful, Thanks

Which molding?  There is one under the exterior frame screwed into the outside wall.  Or is there one on the sliding piece itself?  More clarity on that would help as there are likely to be a lot of solutions.  A picture would help, and I can go outside and look at mine.

This one matches mine the closest. Mine measures a hair smaller but I'm thinking that is shrinkage from age.

1/8" Glass Glazing Bead - RV Windows (pellandent.com)

Still I recommend you buy the sample kit. Make sure because once they have cut a length for you there are of course no returns

Samples- Glazing Beads - RV Windows (pellandent.com)

One other thing. If your window has separated from the frame glazing bead will not fix the leaks. You have to use autmotive glass sealant between the glass and the metal frame. Most are black and it's very easy to make a mess of your window. Clear is safer

Amazon.com: Permatex 81730 Flowable Silicone Windshield Glass Sealer, 1.5 oz. (2 Pack) : Automotive

Reinstall the glazing bead after the sealant dries completely. Oh and you kind of need to remove the window to do all the sealant thing if that's what is needed. 

Linda S

I looked at mine and the moving part has a felt/fuzzy weatherstripping.  A picture of what you're talking about would go miles in understanding.

Ah, thanks for the picture.  And thanks for valuable information again.  Mine are completely absent - whether 40 years of deterioration, or the builder thought the felt/furry strip that is on the moving section of the window (do you have these Linda?) was a good enough seal without it. I've ordered enough to do the entire window set, as I'm likely to pull my windows as part of my restoration. The price was only $12 more to order 8 feet (I need 89") versus a 1' sample. I see where they'll fit on the stationary portion of the sliding window assemblies. Here's my furry seals that move with the window:

image.jpeg.0e0b1b307d2829acfd6f55643b04db86.jpeg

Edited by IdahoDoug

I do not have furry inside track. Mine is smooth metal but there are weep holes to allow any water that comes in to flow right out. 

I have no idea how that would work on yours but furry stuff is never a water seal. Yes, the glazing bead only goes on the non moving window.

Linda S

So, Linda - trying to figure out if our glazing is the same.  Is the channel yours is pulling out of simply a slot parallel to the glass about 1/8" wide? That's what I have. If yours has something additional such as a "fin" or round stock feature that fits into the round groove on the rubber weather stripping, then it is different from mine.  Not the end of the world, 'cause I'll just send it your way if I cannot use it.

Question for you, Linda.  On your photo above, the seal thats pulled out a bit goes against the stationary piece of glass, yes?  If yes, then the pane of glass to the right of the black metal support is the sliding portion, yes?  

If thats also correct, do you have a rubber seal between the sliding glass and the black support?

I do not, and am wondering if there ever was one from the factory as not a single window has even a trace.  And my seals are not deteriorated.

So, just for clarity, Linda - this black rubber glazing is the correct fit for my stationary windows, but now I'm wondering about that space between my sliding window and the black metal support.  There's an air gap there of perhaps 1/8" and I'm wondering as I describe above if there is/was a seal there when new.  If you have something there, or even scraps of it, I'll seek out a source so I'm doing it all at once.  So, what say ye?

So, one piece of tape is on the black metal support, one on the sliding glass panel.  There is no seal between them, and a groove exists in the metal as if its there to hold a seal.  There is a fuzzy seal on the other end for drafts, but nothing for water.  

9FEB64E4-2FF0-4A0F-8E10-7ADD96EF1D49.jpeg

Heres a shot from farther away to orient. You can see the vertical fuzzy seal on the far (forward) end of the sliding glass panel.

8EBC83F4-4467-4EE3-9B96-DBFE68D0387C.jpeg

Edited by IdahoDoug

You will need to remove the existing fuzzy.  These folks have a bunch of different shapes.

https://www.rubbertherightway.com/window-channels-sweepers-fuzzies-window-sweeps-fuzzies-9418-ctg.htm

Thank you, but my question is not about the fuzzy.  There seems to be an obvious spot where a rubber "sweep" seal makes sense between those yellow pieces. It would prevent water from going in that large gap on a rainy day.  That's the focus of my question - Is there supposed to be a seal there?

Sorry about not being a part of the conversation after I started it. Been dealing with multiple extended family illnesses, car failing and finding a replacement, etc. I was referring to the fuzzie strip. That site you listed WME is what I have been looking for. Though after your comment Linda, I'll have to add some weep holes cause the water just builds up in mine and seeps in under the moving window pane. Thanks again.

It sounds like your windows more closely resembles Idahodougs than mine. Might help him if you can post the fuzzy strip you bought and a picture of your window. I do see a number of posts where people drilled weep holes when their windows didn't have them. They all seemed happy with the results.

Linda S

Her's video of a woman cleaning out her window track. The weep holes are the slots on each side under the very bottom of the frame

LeakyRVWindows-DIY Fixit.wmv - YouTube