Replacing generator in 1992 Itasca Spirit

MichinokuDriver

First time poster here, but I just recently purchased a 92' Itasca Spirit that is in really good condition, just under 70k miles, V6... but the previous owner removed the generator and put in a diesel heater!  I had purchased this to be an off-grid camper van sort of thing while I save to purchase a house, and so having the generator to run the AC during the weekends & evenings where I would be in the RV would be nice to have.  The problem is: how difficult is it to find the Onan or Kohler generators that would've been stock in this RV?

Conversely, is it even possible to buy say, a Harbor Freight generator that you could mount to a cargo rack, and just run the shorepower cord to the cargo rack?  That might be easier.

Figured I'd ask and get some thoughts.

1. A Kohler is NON SUPPORTABLE.

2. An Onan 2800w generator, new is $2500-3000, used $800 and up. Don't forget install costs.

3 A HF 3500w inverter generator is $900,  less if you watch coupons. It is simple plug in.

I have had HF inverter generators for power outages at home.  First one was 2000/1600 watt unit it would run 1 fridge and a propane furnace.

Other house had a 3500w unit, It would run gas furnace and 2 fridges. Plus essential TVs, internet and some house lighting.

The 2000 w unit would probably run your AC IF you installed a insta start booster. But that's about it.

The 3500 w unit should run your  stock AC and have enough overhead to run a microwave.

There are other brand quality Inverter generators, due diligence is needed.

"Industrial" generators are cheaper, noisier and burn more gas. 

So like how off grid are you going to be. 

Generators would be cheaper, but have you thought about solar?? There have been a couple of 12v AC conversions on this site

Edited by WME

We have a 1990 Winnebago Micro Warrier, and unit came with a WEN 2350 Inverter.  It is stored in the same compartment as the original one and can run the AC without an issue.  However, our AC has a "start capacitor" that minimizes the power load when you first turn it on.   This whole setup is about $450 and plugs into your standard shore power. 

I have not priced all the options, but intuitively, WME seems to have the right idea with a 12V system.  In order of preference for me:  1) 12V system 2) ONAN replacement generator and 3) Inverter-style small generator that you can take with you.  As a bonus, when we lost power at our house a few weeks ago, we fired up the 3) generator and used it to run our refrigerator while the utility company fixing the problem.  

you are correct= the easiest is to put a gen on the cargo rack.  how loud the generator is will be what limits your choises. 

most portables are loud. hondas are quiet, but you pay for it.

i found an onan as origional on craigslist for cheap, but it needed work

Fell across an Onan 4K generator out of a large MH, with out a doubt it's was the quietest generator I ever heard. That particular generator was a four pole that allowed it to produce 60 cycles at 1800 rpm as opposed to the 2 pole at 3600 big difference. It along with being heavy was BIG!

I purchased an Onan P2500 last year for a crazy stupid low price [400 bucks] but never used it until we had the earthquake before Christmas. 

Ran it on the patio right behind my bedroom wall. I could barely hear it. A tiny low hum. It's big enough to run an AC unit too. I love it. A bit heavier than a Honda but this old lady can pick it up OK. 

Linda S