1977 Pont-X

guyha

I found this mini on Ebay. It was stashed in a storage lot south of San Diego on the Mex border. The manufacturer label says it was made in Calif. by a company called Ponteix Ind. Its all fiberglass, about 16 1/2 ft long, stove, sink, side dinette/bed and bed over the cab, marine type recirculating toilet. Had a 12 volt Norcold refer. I added a 3-way Norcold. Also has a marine type 120V water heater with a heat exchanger. No shower. I'll try to post some photos.

Anyone know anything about them?

post-1514-1235884715_thumb.jpg

post-1514-1235884769_thumb.jpg

That's pretty neat! Is it in good shape? Yeah please post some more pictures. Don't know a thing about it though sorry.

What a fine looking little rig, what year is it? I am trying to figure out where you took the pics? Thought I recognized the Anza Borrego in one of em, but the red rock kinda remind me of Utah around st George.

Tony

What a fine looking little rig, what year is it? I am trying to figure out where you took the pics? Thought I recognized the Anza Borrego in one of em, but the red rock kinda remind me of Utah around st George.

Tony

Its a 1977. You are right on both pics. The second one is taken on Gooseberry Mesa.

That's pretty neat! Is it in good shape? Yeah please post some more pictures. Don't know a thing about it though sorry.

I'll see if I can get some good interior shots. Its pretty basic inside. Cosmetics are fair, mechanically its fair to good. Shows 80k on the ode but doesn't have the extra digit. Runs very well, it pulls up the grade toward Virgin in 3rd and 4th. The best thing about it is its small enough to be handy in the back country, just returned from Toroweap through the mud and snow on Mt. Trumbull. Even after many hours in 1st and 2nd gear it got 15 mpg. I trade a lot of amenities for this performance.

I had it weighed at a local gravel yard. It weighs 4650 fully loaded. It still has the original welded dual wheels. Any experts out there who can tell me if I'd be better off with custom wide wheels? I really like the traction I get from the dual wheels. They seem to work better than wide wheels. Maybe its the space in between.

• 3 months later...

That's a Playcool evaporative cooler on the roof. Make sure the water line is filtered. The only problem they had is the spray nozzle getting plugged. Other than that, they worked great and were far less expensive than the overpriced unit now available.

• 4 years later...

I wonder if whoever started the California company came from Pontiex, Canada?

Pont-X operated through the 1970s as a producer of unique, aerodynamically efficient motorhomes. Class C motorhomes 17 and 20 feet in length built on a Toyota frame, Pont-X are stylish mobile accommodations able to sleep up to four occupants. An Anaheim, California recreational vehicle builder, Pont-X motorhomes concluded production after the 1980 model year. Started 1977. Ponteix Products LTD, 5441, East La Palma Ave., Annaheim, CA.

1980 Pont-X M-170 RD, 17 foot rear dinette M200 RB 20 foot rear bath M200 RD, BH 20 foot rear dinette

post-6578-0-47594000-1400366691_thumb.jp

French names have always been problematic when brought into the "New World." My grandparent came to the US from the area near Ponteix, France (the original Ponteix). I'm surprised it didn't wind up getting spelled phonetically in Canada.

My name is from southern France and never gets spelled right unless I pronounce it wrong.

The French are just as guilty with screwing names up. Part of my family comes from the Tête de boule Indian tribe in Canada. The Jesuits could not find a proper french letter to spell the Indian name with - so they used the number 8 instead. Seeing a surname starting with the #8 really confuses people.

Hey! I've been looking all over trying to figure out what the deal is with my new rig. I just bought it and I live in Durango Colorado. Looks like I've finally found one of its brethren!

-Mischa

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7151

I had to open a new acct. as Hafbakt because I couldn't sign in to my old guyha acct. it's nice to see that there is another Pont-X out there and on the road. I have had quite a few people mistake mine for a Chinook. I sent you a personal message but got no reply so I'll try this route. The only official mark I know of is a silver sticker with black lettering on the outside of the cabin up above the driver door. You have to bend down and look up under the overhanging cabin above the cab. Mine gives the vin, name of manufacturer , date of manufacture, gross vehicle weight, axle weights, that's about it.

Very close to my "Galavan" in appearance.

My mh was also mfg. in Canada by Champion home builders.