Trailer harness wiring?

bear

Trying to figure out how to wire the harness on an 89 Itasca Spirit, which is on an 88 Toyota frame. The darn toy has separate wires for the brake lights. This is a 4-wire harness, anyone done this?

I have not done it but you are right, the turn and brakes are separate. To do it your self requires 4 diodes, two for each side. (Diode 101: A diode will allow electrical flow in one direction only, like a one way gate. You can go through but you can't come back.) You would use two diodes for each side. The positive end of the diodes are tied together and the negative sides are left separated. The neg sides will go to your truck wires, one to the brake and the other to the turn. The tied together side will go to the trailer brake-turn light. When the truck turn is on, power will travel through the diode to the trailer but not back to the truck brake or turn.

Diodes are available at Radio Shack just make sure you get them with high enough amperage rating, at least 5 amps if possible as the brake side of the bulbs do draw allot.

There are also kits available from most auto parts stores, maybe even walmart that have the diodes already built in. If I get time today I will draw up a schematic and post it.

Thanks Greg,

I was thinking about just using an extra wire and splicing into the brake wire then splicing it into the brown running/brake wire on the plug. Guess that wouldn't work.

Be very careful wiring your new converter a short to ground on your trailer lights will reduce it's life span to about .03 sec.

I just instlled an extra light on each side of the trailer for the turn.

Thanks Greg,

I was thinking about just using an extra wire and splicing into the brake wire then splicing it into the brown running/brake wire on the plug. Guess that wouldn't work.

Don't under estimate a good ground. An actual wire from the truck chassis to the trailer chassis. Grounding through the ball usually has bad effects and can drive you crazy. Why you ask. The circuit will try and find a ground and if grounding through the ball is bad it will find a route through one of the other bulb, running lights etc and will light them up too.

And like I said earlier try walmart or a local auto parts store for the kit. If you can't find one post back and I will post a schematic for you.

• 1 year later...

I just tried to do this without the knowledge of a kit converter needed etc.. It drove me crazy and I gave up. What kit at walmart do I need and does someone have a diagram on how to do this? Please post. Thanks

I could not find one at Walmart, think I got one at Auto Zone, most auto parts stores should have one. Just make sure it's for Toyota and the right year. The come with instruction, simple to do.

Any universal converter for a two light system, will work there are plug and play ones that just plug in but I doubt you'll find one for your MH just make sure all your connections are good and tight and water proof. Like Greg said grounds are very important bad grounds can cause some of the strangest problem you have ever seen. Be very careful about shorting the converter output to ground that will kill it instantly. Just about all the universal converters have a hookup diagram on the box it's self both input and output.