Please start! 84 Sunrader started up a few weeks ago....

AprilOstara

Hey Toyota crew!

So I bought this 84 Sunrader about a month ago. Started right up. 

Brought it home on a wrecker, started right up.

Showed it to some dude, started.

Ever since, it won't start. Seems like I emptied the battery by accident.

Tried jumping it with multiple cables and it seems as though it gets better, like it has some juice but doesn't actually turn over.

Then I realized I was supposed to connect the negative to the engine block. So I think I did that, lol, and it almost started, by no avail.

I just don't know.

28 minutes ago, AprilOstara said:

Hey Toyota crew!

So I bought this 84 Sunrader about a month ago. Started right up. 

Brought it home on a wrecker, started right up.

Showed it to some dude, started.

Ever since, it won't start. Seems like I emptied the battery by accident.

Tried jumping it with multiple cables and it seems as though it gets better, like it has some juice but doesn't actually turn over.

Then I realized I was supposed to connect the negative to the engine block. So I think I did that, lol, and it almost started, by no avail.

I just don't know.

Sounds like a bad battery. Check the mfg date on the label. A discharged battery won’t allow enough current to pass through even with jumper cables. 5 years is the most to expect on a battery (high end). Also check your connections. Most box stores will check your battery for free.

The camper has a brand new battery, but the one I'm jumping it with is old and questionable, would that make a difference?

My Rav 4 is what I'm jumping it with, and the battery light has been flickering, looks to be the original from 2007, or Toyota put one in, it says Toyota on it

Take the battery out of the camper and go to any auto parts store. Have them check the battery and if ok charge it. Then take it back and start your truck. Might be good to add a few gallons of fresh fuel too. If it still won't start something else is wrong. 

Linda S

Hi-like Linda said, have the car battery checked,  and if you are trying to jump start the RV with the car be sure the car is running, so that the car alternator will provide power to the rv as well.  And if with a good battery in the car, a new one in the RV, and all the connections tight you still have problems starting it, it certainly might be your starter.  Find a good mechanic and ask them to check the charging system, wiring, alternator and the starter/starter solenoid, the last thing you want is to be out someplace and have problems.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2020 at 9:54 PM, rvplease said:

Hi-like Linda said, have the car battery checked,  and if you are trying to jump start the RV with the car be sure the car is running, so that the car alternator will provide power to the rv as well.  And if with a good battery in the car, a new one in the RV, and all the connections tight you still have problems starting it, it certainly might be your starter.  Find a good mechanic and ask them to check the charging system, wiring, alternator and the starter/starter solenoid, the last thing you want is to be out someplace and have problems.  

Hey, thanks. So i brought the battery and got it charged up. It was empty. Brought it back, almost started.....but to no avail. Again, it started great last time. Wtf

2 hours ago, AprilOstara said:

Where is the starter on these bad boys?

Left side, down bottom. I think all your going to need is a 14mm and maybe a 13mm to take the wire off. You'll need an extension, they are in there a bit. 

There are two different starters for your engine. Make sure you get the right one. Mine uses a gear reduction starter. The non reduction starter will not fit. Double check before buying.

Make sure it’s the starter. Could be plugged fuel filter etc. I’d to a tuneup before deciding it’s the starter.

If the engine is turning over, it’s probably not the starter.

Edited by fred heath

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 5:02 PM, fred heath said:

There are two different starters for your engine. Make sure you get the right one. Mine uses a gear reduction starter. The non reduction starter will not fit. Double check before buying.

Make sure it’s the starter. Could be plugged fuel filter etc. I’d to a tuneup before deciding it’s the starter.

If the engine is turning over, it’s probably not the starter.

Thats what i was thinking, there are no clicks, it seems to turn over fine, just not making the final leap.