Rain water leak in passenger side under dashboard

I've been getting water on the floor of the passenger side cab

rained last night and today i heard a hissing sound in the dash and my windshield forged up after driving

can't see any obvious leaks any one have this leaking problem?

Very common problem with the old Toyota’s. If you look under the dash in the upper right hand corner (passenger side) upper left (drivers side) you’ll notice a rusted area in the sheet metal where the firewall meets the side wall.

This is usually caused by the drain channels that funnel off the water from the external wiper grill to the ground via an inside channel ( behind the fender(s)becomes plugged. That or a bad windshield gasket.

You can try to clean out the channels with something like a “snake” or rigid wire. You’ll have to seal the sheet metal inside to prevent further leaks. It’s a PITA, but only solution I’ve found.

I went nuts trying to stop a passenger side leak. Cleaned all those drains and sealed everywhere around the windshield that I could see. Didn't help. Then I noticed a cable that comes in through the side panel in front of the computer. Sealed that cable inlet and it never leaked again. Think it's the heater cable but not sure. 

Linda S

• Derek up North changed the title to Rain water leak in passenger side under dashboard