Hydroflame FA 7615 circuit board and ignitor

My furnace sometimes will not ignite and thus blows cold air until I shut it off.  Not often, but often enough that I usually wake up in the morning with it running and blowing cold air.

I ordered a new circuit board and ignitor as the old ones are original and thought it wouldn't hurt to replace both at this point.  The only troubleshooting I have done is to test for leaks and there is none.  I have also replaced the blower motor.

Some issues became apparent when the parts arrived.  The new circuit board is much smaller and the ignitor lead is in a slightly different location so the plastic housing will require modification.  All the new connections are spade terminals as opposed to the old push on connections, which isn't a big issue for me to change as the ignitor came with spade adapters.  However the original high tension lead is too short due to the changes and will require a new (longer) wire.  This did not come with the kit, so I am wondering where to get a wire like this or if a regular wire will do.  I'm guessing a regular wire will not do as there is writing on the original which says 250 degrees celsius.

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

IMG_1885.jpg

IMG_1886.jpg

IMG_1888.jpg

5 hours ago, Mr Mark said:

However the original high tension lead is too short due to the changes and will require a new (longer) wire.  This did not come with the kit, so I am wondering where to get a wire like this or if a regular wire will do.  I'm guessing a regular wire will not do as there is writing on the original which says 250 degrees celsius.

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

IMG_1886.jpg

IMG_1888.jpg

Looks like spark plug high tension lead to me.

Yes a plug wire  would work fine it is probably silicone wire but most plug wires are built for heat. Because it screws in be sure the plug wire has a metal core most are carbon filled wire. If all else fails Dinosaur boards, they are the best hands down they are the only ones I will use. 

If you have a local plumbing/ heat supply shop they may have a longer wire. Circuit boards are used in many furnaces and appliances. Bring your old wire with you. 

8 hours ago, Maineah said:

If all else fails Dinosaur boards, they are the best hands down

I agree with this.  It's probably too late for this install as you already have a new board (unless you can return it?), but for those reading in the future that need to replace a furnace board, the Dinosaur boards are the best option.  In particular because they have a significant improvement in the design compared to many of the original hydroflame boards that prevents the battery from running down once the battery voltage runs below a certain voltage.    The original boards would keep running the fan and re-trying the spark/igniter no matter what the voltage is, but once the voltage goes below a certain level as the battery gets flat the igniter fails to make a spark.  I believe the igniter needs a voltage above a certain level in order to ignite the gas.  So if the voltage is low and the spark won't light the gas then the fan keeps running until your battery is totally dead.  Dumb design.  The Dinosaur board is smart enough to stop trying and not kill the battery.

Big ol Dang ol on the Dinosaur board, wish I had known sooner.  Oh well.

Definitely a dumb design, fortunately I haven't killed the battery yet but more than once have come home to the blower running for who knows how long....yay shore power.

I will try local plumbing and heating shops and see.  And some more internet scouring.  

Thanks for the replies!

• 2 years later...
On 4/22/2019 at 2:35 PM, AtlantaCamper said:

I agree with this.  It's probably too late for this install as you already have a new board (unless you can return it?), but for those reading in the future that need to replace a furnace board, the Dinosaur boards are the best option.  In particular because they have a significant improvement in the design compared to many of the original hydroflame boards that prevents the battery from running down once the battery voltage runs below a certain voltage.    The original boards would keep running the fan and re-trying the spark/igniter no matter what the voltage is, but once the voltage goes below a certain level as the battery gets flat the igniter fails to make a spark.  I believe the igniter needs a voltage above a certain level in order to ignite the gas.  So if the voltage is low and the spark won't light the gas then the fan keeps running until your battery is totally dead.  Dumb design.  The Dinosaur board is smart enough to stop trying and not kill the battery.

i also have a hydroflame fa 7615 with a bad board and i, having a hard time determining what is the correct Dinosaur board i can replace it with. all my searching keeps  dead ending in uncertainty. 

I believe your furnace used the UIB-L dinosaur board. Just google your furnace number along with “ignition board” and it should pull you to the correct page.

I have a brand new UIB-L in my storeroom. Planned to install in my furnace, then ended up replacing the entire furnace.

It’s yours for postage. PM me if you can use it. Fred