Is there any advantage to swapping out spindles, brake booster, and brakes from a 1988 to put on my 1978 Dolphin?

I'm in the middle of a 22R hybrid swap (& 5 speed) and would like better braking.

Does your Toyota have front coil springs or a torsion bar set up? The trucks with torsion bars are fairly easy to swap the larger brakes for an up date. Converting the disc brakes on a front end with coil springs with bigger discs from a torsion set up is very difficult to impossible.

I've got the coil springs. Is there anything mod that people have done to improve braking performance? I also thought it might be nice to have all 6 lug instead of just my duallys.

and, by the way, thanks to all who take time out of their day to answer people's queries. techies and sharp shooters, and those with umpteen years experience. it really helps.

the obvious answer to my question is, slow down. i travel. mountains take vehicles that are up to the task, in all areas. a year after i bought my dolphin, in colorado, i came down a mountain. a fully loaded semi was burning up on the shoulder. the cop who was directing traffic told me that his brakes caught fire. when it was my turn to go, i found that i had no brakes. pulling over, i noticed my brake reservoir was boiling over. luckily there was an extra hauler, there. the mechanic told me that the guy who vacuum filled my brake lines, didn't evacuate them first. the condensation from the years is what boiled over. the mechanics at the bottom of 11,000 foot summits have heard it all. so now i use my gears to slow down more and go down the same speed i go up.

3 hours ago, Ron Alan said:

I've got the coil springs. Is there anything mod that people have done to improve braking performance? I also thought it might be nice to have all 6 lug instead of just my duallys.

Sigh you have warned...Beyond here there be monsters ...http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/5327-adding-1-ton-hubs-and-ff-axle-to-1978-chinook/&tab=comments#comment-35825

There is another Iong post somewhere about his problems in his attempt to upgrade the brakes. It did not end well. Zero is no longer on this site.

Maybe a better approach would be new everything and modern HD brakepads

Edited by WME

wme says maybe a better approach would be new everything and modern h d brake pads . I agree and use that stick shift too gear down on dangerous grades. and learn too pump your brakes . I have had 7 Toyotas  4 powered by the very good 20r. three trucks 2 campers a celica and a corona wagon . all 4 cyclinder powered .current two are 87 dolphin 22re automatic. and 88 4wd xtra cab pu. 5 speed. also 22re.

Edited by 5Toyota

If in my searches, I would have found Zero's string, I probably would've stopped cold earlier.

I'm sure new parts would help and thanks for mentioning it. modern h d brake pads look interesting.

Any thoughts on my tired coil springs? Are there any replacement ones out there. I haven't seen any as I've poured over forums and parts houses.

Thanks for the input.

There is a wheel shop called Custom and Commerical. They make a 5/6 bolt adapter. $$$$. Then you still need 6 bolt rims.    https://www.customandcommercialwheel.com

This will solve your rim problem, but not your brake problem. If you have gone this far maybe you should look at replacing the front (and rear) bushings. By now the OEM ones are most likely shot

Thanks, Linda.

WME - I'm getting into my bushings, now. I think I'll wait on the 6 lug stuff. Thx

I'm unable to locate the Sway Bar Bushings at the ends. Do anyone know where they can be purchased?