Power from converter to battery

86Dolphino

Hi folks,

I could use a little help. everything in my camper works in regards to power. If I fire up my generator I can use my roof top A/C or microwave. same if I plug into shore power. However I noticed after hooking up a volt meter that I don't get a charge running to my coach battery when I'm plugged into shore power or with the generator. the only time my coach battery charges is when the truck is running and charging it from the alternator.

I used my volt meter to check my inverter/converter and I noticed one port with NO wires and it has a reading of about 13.1 volts.

anyone have an idea what my problem could be? Also the other ports have wires plugged into them but I don't know what one if any run to the coach battery.

If I recall correctly my lid to the invertor/convertor has diagram showing a little diagram but the one it says is the battery port is showing no volts.

None of our Toy houses are set up to charge the engine battery from shore power or a generator.  That is part of having the isolator between the two batteries.  The alternator with engine running is the only way to charge it unless your rig has been modified.  You can also charge that battery with an external battery charger just like you would charge a car's battery when it is low.  You could plug it into one of the house outlets but you will have to have a charger and each time hook it up and unhook it.  

Sorry I don't know anything about the voltages you mention at certain ports.

No. I'm talking about my coach battery not car battery.  I understand the car battery only charges off the alternator. 

Do you have a pic of your setup?  Did you check for any blown fuses or tripped breakers?  

20181012_181415.jpg

Edited by 86Dolphino
Pic didnt load

You have the original converter, most often referred to as "The Battery Killer". They work OK within their design limits. But don't regulate the battery charge and will eventually boil a battery dry if you don't keep track of the water in the battery. Many Toy owners upgrade to a modern converter.

Your photos show a lead to the battery, so I'm guessing that your rig is wired correctly. This type of converter has a relay to swap the power from DC converter output to the battery when there is no shore power. This relay is major PIA and is the cause of most charging problems with the type converter.

Here is the owners book and a troubleshooting guide...http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad/RV Information/MagnaTek Pwr Converter/RV Binder1.pdf

• 3 months later...

you should notice several things when switching to or from shore power - to shore : brighter interior cabin lights and viceversa. You also should (might) here a relay click as the power source changes.   You may need a helper to switch the shore power on and off so you can sit inside the cabin, preferably near the converter, so you can observe.