Well, It has been a while since logging in... Probably tire time again because I plan to keep the Dolphin going for a few more trips.  My Sears Tire receipt from October 2010 shows seven of the RA08 tires @ 97.81 each plus fees etc and balancing.

38,000 miles and the tread is still deep.  Never had problems.  I did keep the pressure checks up.

So is this still the "go to" tire?  Any better tires or amazing deals?

Man... 8 years already, and total reliability truck wise.  The coach... sticks and staples... but no leaks due to handyman level maintenance.

No complaints.

Thanks!

Fred

A slightly irrelevant thought The worse thing you can do to a tire is just let it sit in the sun. As you drive the tire heat causes the oils in the rubber to move and refresh the rubber.

So your 8 year old tires are probably in better shape than the same tire thats 5 years old and has 5,000 mi.

• 1 month later...

WME - not that irrelevant, but the feeling of freeway driving at 65-70 mph with new tires is WAY better than 8 year old tires.

I had a set of 5 year old Michelins from Costco fail... 3 of 4 tires with sidewall rot.  I pulled into a gas station in Rock Springs WY and saw one was low.  I filled it, then the other side was low.  Returning to the first side, the tire I had just filled was already loosing air.  I cancelled my Marriot reservations in SL City, and stayed at the local motel, then limped one block on flat tires to an American Tire Store.  Several hundred bucks later, I was back on my way.  First and only experience like that.  

I confess, I was driving close to 80 mph on I-80 westbound just before Rock Springs.

The car had just been through a couple of Wisconsin winters and I was bringing it back home to sunny CA.  Acura Legend, it was.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:  JUST REC'D TIRES.  TODAY IS 9/11, DELIVERY TOOK 9 DAYS TO NORTH CALIFORNIA.  TIRE DATE 3217.  32ND WEEK IN 2017 IF I AM INTERPRETING CORRECTLY.  ALL TIRES CAME NOT BOXED, BUT STRAPPED IN PAIRS (THREE PAIRS) VIA FEDEX.  Load Range D.  

All is ok for me.  But if I were being picky, I'd want newer tires if available.  

sorry about the all caps...

Love you guys.

Jet.com just quoted me 78.18 a tire for the RA18 185R14 LRD 8 Ply Hankook Vantra LT RA18 18514 185 14 R14 Tires 336.48 after tax and free shipping.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I called a local brick and mortar store. Les Schwab.  They quoted 20 per tire plus 16 for balance.  36x6=forget it.  Just thought I'd check their prices.  They were apologetic but really don't think it will grow their business.  I guess online tire purchase has hit them in the wallet.  

I have another store who is happy do the install.

Les Schwab has long  been my go-to store.  Spent 3600 on six tires a while back, plus all brake and alignment work there.  

20 bucks a tire that doesn't sound right

Les Schwab here has some serious issues. I had  my ball joints replaced and figured I should get a wheel alignment. Les Schwab told me they couldn't do duallies because it wouldn't fit on the rack. Well I ran into a guy at Walmart with a huge lifted dually Ford truck. Bigger than my rig in everyway. With his lumber rack it was even taller. I asked him where he got his alignments done and low and behold, Les Schwab. They don't want your business unless your buying the tires there too. 

Linda S 

11 minutes ago, linda s said:

Les Schwab here has some serious issues. I had  my ball joints replaced and figured I should get a wheel alignment. Les Schwab told me they couldn't do duallies because it wouldn't fit on the rack. Well I ran into a guy at Walmart with a huge lifted dually Ford truck. Bigger than my rig in everyway. With his lumber rack it was even taller. I asked him where he got his alignments done and low and behold, Les Schwab. They don't want your business unless your buying the tires there too. 

Linda S 

I got my alignment done at an old school alignment shop,  West Coast alignments in Ft Myers FL.   Toy would not fit on their rack, so they aligned it in the parking lot. 

30 minutes and the install is done.  I love watching someone else work on my truck.  $120 including disposal of old tires.  

Hummel Tire, Fortuna CA.  They are in town, just off of the 101.  Next time I would get a quote for tires from them, to support local business. 

Anyway... When I take the trip next week, I'll be gone a month plus.  I won't be concerned with the age of my tires.  Rig is ready!  Feels good like a kid with new shoes.

Edited by FredNewell

• 1 year later...

As always tires are a tough search. The Hankooks are difficult to find or non-existent. Has anyone tried the Nokian cLine from Kal tire.

185/nulR14 102S for $111.00 each. Cheaper and I think a better match than the Michelins.

Looks like the right load rating and size. Nokian have a great reputation for their winter tires. These are an all season commercial.

3 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Kal tire has them available in 185R14 102/100? Finding tires in Canada is always challenging! :)

Thanks Derek. There is a Kal tire place near us. I will drop by and see what they say about availability. Haven't seen any mention of them on the various Toyo sites. Be nice to know if anyone had actually used them.