Generator to fit the space

WecallitFred

Does anyone know of a generator to fit in the space for it?   My 1993 Winnebago Warrior has a space 18" long, 18" wide, and 15" high, measuring the opening to get the generator into it.  I saw the Onan 2.8 mentioned, but that one costs about $2400.  any others known? 

RV generators are a different bread they exhaust hot air and exhaust gas out the bottom no other generators do that. You can use the space to store something but there is no way to properly ventilate them, so you are kind of stuck with removing it and setting it on the ground or buying an RV generator.

Not what you're wanting to hear probably, but cheaper/easier/quieter/safer to just put one on a rear rack (chain it). We did this and ran heavy gauge RV extension cord underneath from gen to the shore power cord box; easy to do a "manual" transfer that way. Works well, cheap, and allows us to run the coach AC while on the move. 

I don't care about taking it out and setting it on the ground, I just want to be able to stow it.  Are you suggesting adding a bumper trailer hitch and a rack or box on the rear?  Do you think it would make the front end a little unstable to drive with weight on the rear bumper?

Hey W this set up allows me to drive Grannie with the roof top AC running to cool the coach and the cab (my cab air is nonfunctional.) I use the basket cover to shield from rain and the genny is chained to my bumper. 

2 hours ago, WecallitFred said:

Actually that sounds pretty good.  How did you mount a box?

Mark's got a nice setup ^ !

But we just use a big cargo rack that attaches to the 2" trailer hitch receiver—the hitch and rack came with our rig, although I've swapped the older steel rack for aluminum, since they're much lighter. Gen adds about 110lbs back there, which isn't nothing, but it doesn't cause us any issues. I haven't noticed any differences in handling: is still drives like an overloaded pontoon boat, either way :)

I secure both the rack and the gen to the hitch with heavy-duty chain + a hardened-steel padlock. My old Craigslist generator is loud, but it runs fine in the rain (no box required), lasts for 8hrs+ on a full tank, and won't ruin my year if somebody's crazy/desperate enough to try and steal.

Or if you are an overachiever with too much time on your hands,  it can be done like this.  There is a Honda 2000 in the box.  Which can be used while in motion.

IMG_0003.JPG

Edited by jjrbus